The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get annoyed as hell when they see how well others live?

It's like my Facebook is a constant barrage of people having holidays all around the world, like it is all they seem to do.

Meanwhile I am here months into unemployment, whilst I am not poor... I cannot afford to fritter my money away like that. I have to save my money because I cannot afford to be financially reckless.

(Get a job? It's tougher for a minority, God knows I am trying but it is just more difficult than your standard middle class white kid that gives handed a job after graduation because he or she has the right amount of melanin in their skin.)

edit: please note that i also feel the pain of white working class people after having to experience what they experience for long stretches of time after I graduated. The UK is an extremely unforgiving place that is more driven by discriminatory class distinctions rather than purely racial distinctions.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Am I envious and resentful?

No.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Am I jealous and resentful?

No.

I think the word you're looking for is 'envious' not 'jealous'...
Original post by Proximo
I think the word you're looking for is 'envious' not 'jealous'...

No...jealous was the word I was looking for.
be better not bitter
No...jealous was the word I was looking for.

Well using the word jealous in this context is grammatically incorrect
...then delete them. ;-;

Spoiler

I think everyone has personal issues that they'd prefer to keep private, even the most outwardly successful ones. People like to flaunt their happiness or their lives when they know things are going well, but that's not 100% of the time, believe me.
Reply 8
Am I jealous and resentful?

No.

:rofl:
Original post by defenestrated
be better not bitter

It is difficult when it is so much in your face. They drive around their expensive cars, they broadcast all of their holidays to you on every piece of social media.

I don't want to give the impression that I am poor because I am not, I am very prudent and live a humble life. Why the luxury vehicles when a Skoda will do?
My parents are well off in terms of their various assets but we have to live life differently to be financially wealthy. For example, we live under one roof. We have much less opportunities and I am not a trust fund kid, we had to work very hard to get where we are.

If I was a middle class white kid (please note the white working class get screwed over just as much as minorities) I would be going around spending all of the money in the world and yet some institution would always bail me out with financially secure jobs because of how white I am. They have the nerve to complain about rent prices in London for example when they have a job to support this rent and the opportunity to have the job in the first place.
Ahhh Facebook envy. That old nugget.
Original post by Proximo
Well using the word jealous in this context is grammatically incorrect

Why? Being jealous doesn't necessarily mean you have something to lose.

It is defined in the oxford dictionary as 'showing feelings of envy'. They are basically synonyms? How is it incorrect
Just ignore them and focus on improving your own life
I wouldn't say I get jealous but I am only human and sometimes I feel a little bitter when I see people out having fun and looking like they don't have a care in the world when a lot of the time, is struggle getting out the front door because of OCD and panic attacks. I do feel like everyone else is living and on just stood still. I don't really feel any jealousy or bitterness about how rich some people are, I just want to be happy and healthy, not mega rich.

I don't feel the bitterness often but I won't lie, I do feel it occasionally but it doesn't last long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
doesn't bother me because I have my puppies
No. I become more motivated to succeed when I see stuff like that.
Why? Being jealous doesn't necessarily mean you have something to lose.

It is defined in the oxford dictionary as 'showing feelings of envy'. They are basically synonyms? How is it incorrect

Here are two examples:

Jealousy: I see you talking to my girlfriend which gives me a sense that you are trying to steal her from me so I feel jealous, I.e I feel threatened that something I already have is at risk of being taken away from

Envy: I am single and I see you with your girlfriend which makes me feel resentful towards because I want what you already have

In this case the OP is feeling envy because he wants what other people have or he feels that it is unfair that they have something he doesn't
Original post by Proximo
Here are two examples:

Jealousy: I see you talking to my girlfriend which gives me a sense that you are trying to steal her from me so I feel jealous, I.e I feel threatened that something I already have is at risk of being taken away from

Envy: I am single and I see you with your girlfriend which makes me feel resentful towards because I want what you already have

In this case the OP is feeling envy because he wants what other people have or he feels that it is unfair that they have something he doesn't

Reread my reply.

Let me give you an example.

I am jealous of your really good looks.
Reread my reply.

Let me give you an example.

I am jealous of your really good looks.

Well, it does mean you have something to lose, they're similar but not synonyms
Original post by Spock's Socks
I wouldn't say I get jealous but I am only human and sometimes I feel a little bitter when I see people out having fun and looking like they don't have a care in the world when a lot of the time, is struggle getting out the front door because of OCD and panic attacks. I do feel like everyone else is living and on just stood still. I don't really feel any jealousy or bitterness about how rich some people are, I just want to be happy and healthy, not mega rich.

I don't feel the bitterness often but I won't lie, I do feel it occasionally but it doesn't last long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get annoyed at how free they seem, like they are getting to truly enjoy their youth while I am wasting my life. I am 25 and while I have many years ahead of me I feel like I have wasted many.

I have the achievements academically, I have done well in my career so far because I worked very hard to get somewhere in the corporate sphere in a multinational , but I just feel like my life is a lot harder because of who I am and the class I was born into. There are people around who get given everything on a plate and there are many of them... not a worry in the world.

The sheer amount of young British people I know that are sitting at home wasting their lives away leads me to believe that government statistics are a lie regarding how the economy is apparently getting better. I don't think their figures account for the numbers of people that have just given up looking for employment. For example, on the estates, where people never leave. It is not a purely racial problem but an economic one where anyone that is not white and of the right social class/allegiance is thrown into the scrapheap to be dependent on state benefits. Yet.. we are the ones that get stigmatised as leeches.

Quick Reply

Latest