The Student Room Group

Economics A-level: Helpful or

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and I've chosen my a-levels:

-History
-Maths
-Politics
-Economics

However I've become sceptical about economics. I've been told that economics a-level is frowned upon by universities (ideally I'd do PPE at Oxford, although I understand it's very competitive to get in and my GCSEs probably not being straight As won't help, anyway...)

Is economics a soft option? Is it too soft to get into a good university, taking my other subjects into account. Is it true that it has to be "un-taught" once you get to university? In my situation would you take it? I don't know much about the subject at the moment, but it seems interesting to me.

Thanks!
Original post by JohnGreek
You've got two facilitating subjects in there, so you should be fine. Economics shouldn't be a hindrance, at least speaking from personal experience.

over analysing here but would it be better for uni to drop one of the two softer ones after year 12? This would probably be economics anyway but if I drop maths after 12 I get an AS level but not if I drop one of the other three.
Reply 2
I'm extremely surprised someone has told you Economics as an A level would be frowned upon. I do it now and it's both interesting and challenging, and I certainly wouldn't say it was looked down upon. It's a very important and relatable subject that gives you a perception on things no other subject does, and I would only have thought if anything it would be a credit to your application. Do not be put off in the slightest in taking it, it is definitely recognised as a good A level to have, I have never heard anyone slating it and i know a lot of people that consider it to be harder than maths! Personally it was the best A level choice I made and I'm hoping to study it at uni. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Original post by StudentRobbie
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and I've chosen my a-levels:

-History
-Maths
-Politics
-Economics

However I've become sceptical about economics. I've been told that economics a-level is frowned upon by universities (ideally I'd do PPE at Oxford, although I understand it's very competitive to get in and my GCSEs probably not being straight As won't help, anyway...)

Is economics a soft option? Is it too soft to get into a good university, taking my other subjects into account. Is it true that it has to be "un-taught" once you get to university? In my situation would you take it? I don't know much about the subject at the moment, but it seems interesting to me.

Thanks!

Economics at A level is easy, it could be taken with an A* likely if a little bit of work is spent revising, at university A level economics is not untaught, but the topics taught at university are in more depth with the little A level content that is relevant being taught in half of one lecture.

Quick Reply

Latest