The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get annoyed as hell when they see how well others live?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Proximo
Well, it does mean you have something to lose, they're similar but not synonyms

:dontknow:
Reply 21
Original post by James.Carnell
Does anyone else get annoyed as hell when they see how well others live?

Yes. This is one of the reasons we have capitalism. Ironically, those who say they hate capitalism are the ones who get the most annoyed by others' successes.
No it makes me want to succeed so I can earn more money than them.
Original post by xylas
Yes. This is one of the reasons we have capitalism. Ironically, those who say they hate capitalism are the ones who get the most annoyed by others' successes.

Capitalism just like communism seems like a good idea in its most basic definition. However, people are people and within the system they create an oppressive environment based on cronyism and discrimination.
Reply 24
Capitalism just like communism seems like a good idea in its most basic definition. However, people are people and within the system they create an oppressive environment based on cronyism and discrimination.

Exactly which is why we have laws. Capitalism deals with wealth, justice deals with rights.
Reply 25
I suppose if after graduating i was unemployed and struggling to make ends meet while my friends were in well paid careers, travelling, enjoying life etc I would feel jealous. It's only natural, especially when someone else has something you've always wanted.
Original post by xylas
Exactly which is why we have laws. Capitalism deals with wealth, justice deals with rights.

Law graduate here so I think I am at least a bit qualified to speak on the matter. UK workers are totally shafted in terms of how many rights they have, we are behind on that front within Europe. Hell, I am not even speaking in hyperbole when I say that even the Peoples' Republic of China has comparable workers' rights to ours. Our laws are insufficient, and our government is not the right government for the working people.
Reply 27
x

Ok so your argument is that the justice system needs improving. I make no attempt to dispute this.
Original post by xylas
Ok so your argument is that the justice system needs improving. I make no attempt to dispute this.

I also disagree with our brand of capitalism whereby the state bails out banks at the taxpayers pocket, but that is another discussion for another day.
Reply 29
I also disagree with our brand of capitalism whereby the state bails out banks at the taxpayers pocket, but that is another discussion for another day.

Agreed, it is not capitalism proper.
It is true, that some people are better adapted to this world than others. I think it is sad how in today's society people can go far without putting in any effort, whereas for others it is much harder.
Everyone wants what they don't have. No matter how much they admit they're better off without it. It's the sad truth, really.
It's like my Facebook is a constant barrage of people having holidays all around the world, like it is all they seem to do.

Meanwhile I am here months into unemployment, whilst I am not poor... I cannot afford to fritter my money away like that. I have to save my money because I cannot afford to be financially reckless.

(Get a job? It's tougher for a minority, God knows I am trying but it is just more difficult than your standard middle class white kid that gives handed a job after graduation because he or she has the right amount of melanin in their skin.)

edit: please note that i also feel the pain of white working class people after having to experience what they experience for long stretches of time after I graduated. The UK is an extremely unforgiving place that is more driven by discriminatory class distinctions rather than purely racial distinctions.

'weeeh damn middle class white kids working hard, getting good grades and going on holiday'

Every company has to hire minorities now. By law.
Most of us have experienced some kind of bitterness/jealousy at one point or another... People who're rich will have it over the richer. Obviously this sounds disgusting to people who are really poor but that's what it's like. And especially nowadays with social media... There's no getting away from it all. We're all competing against eachother for top dog when no one can be! There'll always be someone 'better'. Don't let it eat you up... It is unfair but dwelling on it won't change things for you so work on yourself for
Reply 34
Sometimes it's a pain in the arse when people show me old holiday photos and they've been to dozens of places in the world when if I just count the holidays I remember I've only been abroad once with my family, three times if you include school trips. The family EASILY has the money for a lot of nice holidays like all my friends have been on but for some reason we just never did. But now I'm 18 I'm planning on doing a lot of travelling to make up for it.

I'm in a middle class area and I think I'm literally the only person in my group of about 15 who has never been skiing.
Original post by hezzlington

:dontknow:

Lol I guess Google or wherever that definition comes from is wrong.

Let's just agree to disagree :smile:
Original post by Proximo
Lol I guess Google or wherever that definition comes from is wrong.

Let's just agree to disagree :smile:

Google gets it from the Oxford Dictionary.

Where are you getting your definition from?

Are you giving up this easily? Well, that's not satisfying. :frown:
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
'weeeh damn middle class white kids working hard, getting good grades and going on holiday'

Every company has to hire minorities now. By law.

They don't work hard and the vast majority don't even get good grades. Yet they get given everything on a plate.
Reply 38
The best thing to do is not to compare yourself to others. Money doesn't buy happiness, and by living in the west you are already wealthier than billions of people in this world.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
It is true, that some people are better adapted to this world than others. I think it is sad how in today's society people can go far without putting in any effort, whereas for others it is much harder.

They are not better adapted, they are just mollycoddled and privileged because of their parents and their skin colour/social class.

Quick Reply

Latest