The Student Room Group

The Times endorses Remain Campaign - EU Referendum

The Times has released a leading article in its paper tomorrow I think that they will be endorsing the remain campaign. The article states that the leave campaign made a strong case but overall the reasons for remaining greatly outweigh the reasons to leave.

Major endorsement for the remain campaign after doing badly in polls.

The Sun also endorsed Leave Campaign, but let's face it, no one takes the Sun serious anyway and a 'Times' endorsement is much more significant.

https://next.ft.com/content/5cdecbec-34db-11e6-bda0-04585c31b153

Now cue the, "GLOBAL ESTABLISHMENT ARE BRAINWASHING US, DONT GIVE IN, VOTE LEAVE!!!" - comments
I agree that The Times have got a lot more weight to them.

But an endorsement from The Sun unfortunately affects many people who do not bother with double checking facts or thinking critically.

People who read The Sun are the most brain washed of them all. Most of their readers are working class, yet The Sun consistently support policies which benefit the rich and drag the poor across the gravel. Yet these working class people still believe The Sun! It's quite astounding really.

If Leave win, it will be on the basis of misinformation and shrewd waving.
Reply 2
Original post by ib_hopeful
I agree that The Times have got a lot more weight to them.

But an endorsement from The Sun unfortunately affects many people who do not bother with double checking facts or thinking critically.

People who read The Sun are the most brain washed of them all. Most of their readers are working class, yet The Sun consistently support policies which benefit the rich and drag the poor across the gravel. Yet these working class people still believe The Sun! It's quite astounding really.

If Leave win, it will be on the basis of misinformation and shrewd waving.

This class system is what pisses me off about this country, no where in the world is there a class system where what class you were born in is so important and that it defines you as a person
Original post by Jee1
This class system is what pisses me off about this country, no where in the world is there a class system where what class you were born in is so important and that it defines you as a person

I have a feeling Britain without the influence of the EU, Britain will swing right back to the days where class divisions were many times more prominent than they are today.

Just a gut feeling. Don't mean to attack your position.
Reply 4
Original post by ib_hopeful
I have a feeling Britain without the influence of the EU, Britain will swing right back to the days where class divisions were many times more prominent than they are today.

Just a gut feeling. Don't mean to attack your position.

Well we do have Zero hours contracts I doubt that the EU did anything about this. We did have the magna carta after all
(edited 7 years ago)
Disappointing from the times but still a quality paper. Not surprising considering the bulk of thier readership are going to be stinking rich or at least comfortably well off.
Original post by neal95
Disappointing from the times but still a quality paper. Not surprising considering the bulk of thier readership are going to be stinking rich or at least comfortably well off.

I don't know that Leave is the vote of the poor and Remain is the vote of the rich. That is certainly the way this issue is unfolding, but I don't think a Remain vote will benefit the rich more than the poor. In fact, a Remain vote may very well benefit the poor more than the rich.

The Leave campaign is a lot more emotional than Remain. Maybe the working class are more attracted to visceral comments than dry analyses.
Original post by Jee1
Well we do have Zero hours contracts I doubt that the EU did anything about this. We did have the magna carta after all

We also have diversity laws because of the EU. And those have massively benefited our society in particular.

The EU has also always been an adamant supporter of LGBT rights.
Reply 8
Original post by neal95

This
Original post by Proximo
The Times has released a leading article in its paper tomorrow I think that they will be endorsing the remain campaign. The article states that the leave campaign made a strong case but overall the reasons for remaining greatly outweigh the reasons to leave.

Major endorsement for the remain campaign after doing badly in polls.

The Sun also endorsed Leave Campaign, but let's face it, no one takes the Sun serious anyway and a 'Times' endorsement is much more significant.

https://next.ft.com/content/5cdecbec-34db-11e6-bda0-04585c31b153

Now cue the, "GLOBAL ESTABLISHMENT ARE BRAINWASHING US, DONT GIVE IN, VOTE LEAVE!!!" - comments

I have just read the article and it is very sensible. Europe is no longer a motley patchwork of Ruritanian peasant Kingdoms but a thriving modern community to which we belong, as much as Hawaii belongs to mainland America.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending