The Student Room Group

Is DNA ligase used in protein synthesis?

^I know RNA polymerase is used and peptidyl transferase. But I can't see where exactly ligase would be used?
Reply 1
DNA ligase is primarily used in DNA repair and replication.

Original post by soraskeyblade
^I know RNA polymerase is used and peptidyl transferase. But I can't see where exactly ligase would be used?
I've studied these things in Finnish so I apologize for probably some wrong terms.

Only a small part of your DNA is actually the area that codes proteins. In one gene, you have introns (that don't contain information) and exons (that do contain information). When RNA is formed, the first version of it has both the introns and the exons in it. Before it leaves the nucleus, the introns have to be "cut off" because they would obviously produce a faulty protein: this happens at the splicing machinery. At this point also exons can be removed so the gene can produce several different types of proteins. After this, you need ligase to put the exons back together to form a complete strand; after this the mRNA is ready to move to the cytoplasm to start the translation process.

Hope this helps! I'm not 100% sure of this but this is how I remember it going.
Original post by StationToStation
I've studied these things in Finnish so I apologize for probably some wrong terms.

Only a small part of your DNA is actually the area that codes proteins. In one gene, you have introns (that don't contain information) and exons (that do contain information). When RNA is formed, the first version of it has both the introns and the exons in it. Before it leaves the nucleus, the introns have to be "cut off" because they would obviously produce a faulty protein: this happens at the splicing machinery. At this point also exons can be removed so the gene can produce several different types of proteins. After this, you need ligase to put the exons back together to form a complete strand; after this the mRNA is ready to move to the cytoplasm to start the translation process.

Hope this helps! I'm not 100% sure of this but this is how I remember it going.

Thanks! Helped a lot! And the English was great. :biggrin:
Original post by soraskeyblade
Thanks! Helped a lot! And the English was great. :biggrin:

No problem, glad to hear that! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest