The Student Room Group

End of GCSEs...

I have just finished my GCSEs and I don't feel happy like everyone else

I feel as though I could have put WAY more effort into them and didn't come out content after most of them.

I also go to an all girls grammar school, where everyone will get all A*s and I don't think I will get one.

In mocks I got (Just the exam- not including coursework etc):

Bio -C
Chem -C
Phys-D
Maths A -A
Maths M -A
English Language -A
English Literature -B
Business Studies -C
Geography -A
German -A/B
P.E. -E
ICT -C

That was ZERO revision and basically understanding NOTHING and not knowing any exam technique.

After mocks I did some past papers and went to boosters etc. and now understand the topics, but feel like I could have revised WAY more

But because of the bad grades I got before I feel like I going to do terribly and bring our school down.

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am SO scared about results and whether or not I will be able to do Physics at A Level. I cannot tell if I found the physics exams good or bad (I do AQA) and I can't enjoy the summer now..

I had dreams of studying economics at University (e.g. LSE, UCL, Cambridge etc.)

And now I don't think they will accept me with the grades I will get this summer. I know I definitely got a D/E overall in P.E. (it was a confidence issue)

How can I feel better and try not to worry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAspireToSucceed
I have just finished my GCSEs and I don't feel happy like everyone else

I feel as though I could have put WAY more effort into them and didn't come out content after most of them.

I also go to an all girls grammar school, where everyone will get all A*s and I don't think I will get one.

In mocks I got (Just the exam- not including coursework etc):

Bio -C
Chem -C
Phys-D
Maths A -A
Maths M -A
English Language -A
English Literature -B
Business Studies -C
Geography -A
German -A/B
P.E. -E
ICT -C

That was ZERO revision and basically understanding NOTHING and not knowing any exam technique.

After mocks I did some past papers and went to boosters etc. and now understand the topics, but feel like I could have revised WAY more

But because of the bad grades I got before I feel like I going to do terribly and bring our school down.

I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I am SO scared about results and whether or not I will be able to do Physics at A Level. I cannot tell if I found the physics exams good or bad (I do AQA) and I can't enjoy the summer now..

I had dreams of studying economics at University (e.g. LSE, UCL, Cambridge etc.)

And now I don't think they will accept me with the grades I will get this summer. I know I definitely got a D/E overall in P.E. (it was a confidence issue)

How can I feel better and try not to worry?

Hey :h: Sorry you don't feel great.

I guess the first thing to remind yourself is that the grades you receive in August will be improved on your mocks - and in the subjects where you got A/B in your mock, there is a very decent chance you got an A*/A in the real thing.

I do a different exam board for Physics but I felt the same way - it was a pretty difficult paper I thought! In terms of PE, I can't vouch for how that will affect you getting in to your sixth form, but I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting Economics as there's not much correlation between the two...but if you're really worried, you could always try emailing those universities to find out whether it would affect your chances or not.

Also remember that at the end of the day, GCSEs are important, but not the most important thing. If you really do work for your A-Levels (you could always start going over some maths this summer?), and get really good grades, they will become more important than your GCSEs.

I hope you can try and enjoy your summer - and I'm sure you've done better than you think (although I know that's probably not the most helpful thing to hear).

Perhaps you could email your current school about your worries, and find out what their policy is for accepting students who fall slightly short of their grades?
Original post by metellaest
Hey :h: Sorry you don't feel great.

I guess the first thing to remind yourself is that the grades you receive in August will be improved on your mocks - and in the subjects where you got A/B in your mock, there is a very decent chance you got an A*/A in the real thing.

I do a different exam board for Physics but I felt the same way - it was a pretty difficult paper I thought! In terms of PE, I can't vouch for how that will affect you getting in to your sixth form, but I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting Economics as there's not much correlation between the two...but if you're really worried, you could always try emailing those universities to find out whether it would affect your chances or not.

Also remember that at the end of the day, GCSEs are important, but not the most important thing. If you really do work for your A-Levels (you could always start going over some maths this summer?), and get really good grades, they will become more important than your GCSEs.

I hope you can try and enjoy your summer - and I'm sure you've done better than you think (although I know that's probably not the most helpful thing to hear).

Perhaps you could email your current school about your worries, and find out what their policy is for accepting students who fall slightly short of their grades?

Thank you so much! Xxx
Yes my school said that all of us will be going to their sixth form so I'm not worrying about that.
It's just my future I am worried about. And that I wanted to go to a top University to study economics. (Yes I will do some maths this summer and become a new person in sixth form:-))
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
Thank you so much! Xxx
Yes my school said that all of us will be going to their sixth form so I'm not worrying about that.
It's just my future I am worried about. And that I wanted to go to a top University to study economics. (Yes I will do some maths this summer and become a new person in sixth form:-))

Well at least that's one less thing to worry about - and it gives you more space to focus on the things you want to improve!

I'm taking Maths as well next year (are you doing Edexcel?) and I'm planning on teaching myself C1 and C2 this summer, as I've been free from exams for 24 hours and I'm already bored....

Another good thing to do is to start reading around your subject - so maybe go on the websites for those universities and see if they have any recommended reading lists for Economics?

It will all turn out okay in the end :h:
Well at least that's one less thing to worry about - and it gives you more space to focus on the things you want to improve!

I'm taking Maths as well next year (are you doing Edexcel?) and I'm planning on teaching myself C1 and C2 this summer, as I've been free from exams for 24 hours and I'm already bored....

Another good thing to do is to start reading around your subject - so maybe go on the websites for those universities and see if they have any recommended reading lists for Economics?

I think we are doing A Level Edexcel Maths (we did at GCSE, but I will ask a teacher). But thank you so much, you have been the most optimistic response. I wish you the best of luck! Xxxx
I was in the exact same position as you two years ago except I went on to IB not A-Levels. At this point all you can really do is try to move on and make sure you don't make the same mistakes later in life. Just use this as a motivator for next time you're taking exams, remember the feeling you got when you knew you didn't do enough and ensure you don't feel like that again, take A-levels as a fresh start.

With regards for unis I think Oxbridge are the only ones I ever came across that wanted specific numbers of A* GCSEs so LSE, UCL and most other places are still viable options as long as you're maths and english grades are up to scratch (and your foreign language grade for UCL) which they seem to be.

If you knuckle down over the next two years then you can definitely get the grades you need for those unis. For UCL and LSE you're taking the right subjects to get in by choosing Economics and Maths (LSE also says it's more lenient because you're taking further maths). If you're really doubting yourself with Physics then it's probably not too late to change to another science or even to german/english instead of worrying about how you can get through the next two years.

As for everyone else getting all A*s trust me nobody will care about that by christmas, my year got the highest grades my school had ever seen and nobody has mentioned or discussed it since October of first year. I was surrounded by people who got all A*s when I knew I could've done better, it's inevitable that you'll beat yourself up about it but the more you do that the harder it is to move forward (plus you don't even know what you got yet). Bad GCSEs aren't the end of the world and you can still get to UCL and LSE if you make sure you're not in this position of regret again, trust me.

For now: you have two months until results day use that to unwind before school restarts, go out with your friends, if they start talking about exams steer the conversation away or just excuse yourself, they'll get the hint and eventually everyone will move on. Try to absorb yourself in learning a new skill bake, brush up on you German, learn to code or play an instrument. Alternatively unplug from the technology (at this point lurking on TSR is probably not a good idea) and go camping with friends or catch up on your reading or go sightseeing in your own town, do anything (anything at all) that isn't to do with exams. If you're like me then I'm sure my this point your textbooks, notes and past paper are everywhere - now is the perfect time to organise and tidy away, get them out of sight (even putting them in a cupboard helps) being surrounded by revision you didn't do is never helpful.

Hope this helps, feel free to DM me if you're struggling :smile:

As youve finished your exam think about volunteering, itd take your mind off things and gives you a start for writing your CV, or try part time paid work.
Original post by jpowis123
As youve finished your exam think about volunteering, itd take your mind off things and gives you a start for writing your CV, or try part time paid work.

Okay thank you xx
Original post by meredythclaire
I was in the exact same position as you two years ago except I went on to IB not A-Levels. At this point all you can really do is try to move on and make sure you don't make the same mistakes later in life. Just use this as a motivator for next time you're taking exams, remember the feeling you got when you knew you didn't do enough and ensure you don't feel like that again, take A-levels as a fresh start.

With regards for unis I think Oxbridge are the only ones I ever came across that wanted specific numbers of A* GCSEs so LSE, UCL and most other places are still viable options as long as you're maths and english grades are up to scratch (and your foreign language grade for UCL) which they seem to be.

If you knuckle down over the next two years then you can definitely get the grades you need for those unis. For UCL and LSE you're taking the right subjects to get in by choosing Economics and Maths (LSE also says it's more lenient because you're taking further maths). If you're really doubting yourself with Physics then it's probably not too late to change to another science or even to german/english instead of worrying about how you can get through the next two years.

As for everyone else getting all A*s trust me nobody will care about that by christmas, my year got the highest grades my school had ever seen and nobody has mentioned or discussed it since October of first year. I was surrounded by people who got all A*s when I knew I could've done better, it's inevitable that you'll beat yourself up about it but the more you do that the harder it is to move forward (plus you don't even know what you got yet). Bad GCSEs aren't the end of the world and you can still get to UCL and LSE if you make sure you're not in this position of regret again, trust me.

For now: you have two months until results day use that to unwind before school restarts, go out with your friends, if they start talking about exams steer the conversation away or just excuse yourself, they'll get the hint and eventually everyone will move on. Try to absorb yourself in learning a new skill bake, brush up on you German, learn to code or play an instrument. Alternatively unplug from the technology (at this point lurking on TSR is probably not a good idea) and go camping with friends or catch up on your reading or go sightseeing in your own town, do anything (anything at all) that isn't to do with exams. If you're like me then I'm sure my this point your textbooks, notes and past paper are everywhere - now is the perfect time to organise and tidy away, get them out of sight (even putting them in a cupboard helps) being surrounded by revision you didn't do is never helpful.

Hope this helps, feel free to DM me if you're struggling :smile:

This definitely helps! Thank you soooo much, you have motivated me and I am so grateful xxxxx
But apparently Cambridge are A Level heavy (so I was considering Economics at Cambridge)? And I thought LSE look at people with lots of A*s at GCSE (because I think they take more people in from out of Britain) so you have to look amazing.
Don't think about your GCSEs now. I know it's difficult, but worry about your GCSE results on results day only - not before and not after. Don't dwell on 'what might have been'; it's simply not worth it.

If you want to make a competitive application to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE etc., the work starts now. Read as much as you possibly can about your subject and find something that you're really interested in in the field of economics. Develop a true passion for the subject as that is what universities are looking for, especially the 'top' ones. I don't know if universities such as UCL and LSE do interviews, but being able to express your genuine enthusiasm for economics will really help you when it comes to your personal statement and university interviews. If you manage to get an interview at Cambridge then you definitely won't need to worry about your GCSE results any more as they will clearly think you're good enough for their course.

TL;DR: Read, read, read, read and forget about your GCSEs - you'll be fine!

Good luck,
Banana :h::h:
I completely agree with @Banana00 ! Definitely use this summer to read around Economics :smile: I've just started compiling my reading list for the summer :h:

If you're interested in Cambridge, you should follow the Cambridge Applicants Thread for 2018 (it's early, I know, but there's no harm): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165#primary_content

I hope you have a great summer :smile:
I completely agree with @Banana00 ! Definitely use this summer to read around Economics :smile: I've just started compiling my reading list for the summer :h:

If you're interested in Cambridge, you should follow the Cambridge Applicants Thread for 2018 (it's early, I know, but there's no harm): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165#primary_content

I hope you have a great summer :smile:

PRSOM!!!:tongue: :hat2:

I hope that you and @IAspireToSucceed both have a wonderful summer!
P.S. Which subject do you hope to study at university? I'm all about History! :tongue: :u:
:h::h:
Original post by Banana00
PRSOM!!!:tongue: :hat2:

I hope that you and @IAspireToSucceed both have a wonderful summer!
P.S. Which subject do you hope to study at university? I'm all about History! :tongue: :u:

(Please excuse my lack of internet talk skills and explain what 'PRSOM' means? :colondollar:)

I hope you have a great summer too! Are you finished will all your exams?

I'm hoping to do Natural Sciences, although I'm taking History for A-Level as well because I do love it (despite the hideous amount of time it takes to revise!)
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::centipe::centipe::catfight::catfight::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::angelblush::angel::argh::arsenal::arsenal::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::ahee::ahee::ahee::angry::ashamed::bhangra::bhangra::bhangra::bee::bee::bee::bee2::bee2::blush::blush::blush::blow::blow::blow::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::dance::dance::dance::dance::cube::cube::cube::cracker::cracker::cracker::couchpotato::fallenangel::fallenangel::fallenangel::fan::fan::fan::fan::f1::f1::f1::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evil::evil::evil::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::mob::medieval::mario::macarena::lurk::lttd::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yep::yep::yep::yep::xmasgrin::xmasgrin::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::perv::perv::perv::perv::perv::perv::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::parrot::parrot::parrot::pal::pain::pain::pain::pcguru: EXAMS ARE DONE
(Please excuse my lack of internet talk skills and explain what 'PRSOM' means? :colondollar:)

I hope you have a great summer too! Are you finished will all your exams?

I'm hoping to do Natural Sciences, although I'm taking History for A-Level as well because I do love it (despite the hideous amount of time it takes to revise!)

Haha that's okay! It means 'please rate some other member', i.e. I have already repped you recently so I need to rep others before I can do it again. It's a weird kind of rep-but-not-actually-rep! (If this explanation makes sense - in a nutshell, PRSOM is giving someone credit for a post when you can't rep them.) Phew, I made that a lot more complicated than necessary!

I finished my exams yesterday! It's really weird to think that my summer holidays have now begun! I also don't like the fact that I can no longer do anything else to improve my grades at all, but oh well.

You made a good choice in choosing History for A Level (it's an epic subject, as I'm sure you are aware :yep::yeah::yes:)!
I'm doing History, Politics, French and Latin and I couldn't be more excited!

I'm sorry that I used so many exclamation marks in this post; I don't know what's got into me! (There I go again! Okay seriously stop. Thank you.) :h::h::laugh:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::centipe::centipe::catfight::catfight::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::angelblush::angel::argh::arsenal::arsenal::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::ahee::ahee::ahee::angry::ashamed::bhangra::bhangra::bhangra::bee::bee::bee::bee2::bee2::blush::blush::blush::blow::blow::blow::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::dance::dance::dance::dance::cube::cube::cube::cracker::cracker::cracker::couchpotato::fallenangel::fallenangel::fallenangel::fan::fan::fan::fan::f1::f1::f1::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evil::evil::evil::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::mob::medieval::mario::macarena::lurk::lttd::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yep::yep::yep::yep::xmasgrin::xmasgrin::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::parrot::parrot::parrot::pal::pain::pain::pain::pcguru: EXAMS ARE DONE

Oh my gosh golly goodness. That must have taken you a long time!
Oh my gosh golly goodness. That must have taken you a long time!

LOL it doesn't matter. I have all summer to waste time. :colonhash:
LOL it doesn't matter. I have all summer to waste time. :colonhash:

Hehe :laugh: Good point!

Have you got anything exciting planned for this summer? :p::woohoo::tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha that's okay! It means 'please rate some other member', i.e. I have already repped you recently so I need to rep others before I can do it again. It's a weird kind of rep-but-not-actually-rep! (If this explanation makes sense - in a nutshell, PRSOM is giving someone credit for a post when you can't rep them.) Phew, I made that a lot more complicated than necessary!

I finished my exams yesterday! It's really weird to think that my summer holidays have now begun! I also don't like the fact that I can no longer do anything else to improve my grades at all, but oh well.

You made a good choice in choosing History for A Level (it's an epic subject, as I'm sure you are aware :yep::yeah::yes:)!
I'm doing History, Politics, French and Latin and I couldn't be more excited!

I'm sorry that I used so many exclamation marks in this post; I don't know what's got into me! (There I go again! Okay seriously stop. Thank you.) :h::h::laugh:

Ah okay!! Thank you for the rep-but-not-rep then :h:

Same!! And I feel the exact same way...but as you say - oh well :smile:

So did you - Latin and Politics sound great as well (sadly, by lack of French ability in the listening tests means that wasn't even an option for me:ashamed:)

Have a fantastic summer! :banana2::banana:
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::centipe::centipe::catfight::catfight::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::angelblush::angel::argh::arsenal::arsenal::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::angelwings::ahee::ahee::ahee::angry::ashamed::bhangra::bhangra::bhangra::bee::bee::bee::bee2::bee2::blush::blush::blush::blow::blow::blow::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::danceboy::danceboy::danceboy::dance::dance::dance::dance::cube::cube::cube::cracker::cracker::cracker::couchpotato::fallenangel::fallenangel::fallenangel::fan::fan::fan::fan::f1::f1::f1::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evil::evil::evil::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs::mob::medieval::mario::macarena::lurk::lttd::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::sub2::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::ymca::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yep::yep::yep::yep::xmasgrin::xmasgrin::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::waffo::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::wavingtheflag::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::thrasher::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::titan::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::sneakydevil::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::pepsi::perv::perv::perv::perv::perv::perv::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::parrot::parrot::parrot::pal::pain::pain::pain::pcguru: EXAMS ARE DONE

I take it someone's happy exams are done? :bl::congrats::dancing2::danceboy::dance::beer:

Quick Reply

Latest