The Student Room Group

C3 trig question help

Hi,

I was doing the January 2007 C3 paper and got stuck on the last question. I looked on exam solutions
(http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=33&solution=8.2) and he did it a different way to how I went about trying to answer the question. I've attached the question and answer below.

I started off with:
y=arccos(x) so x=cosy
I then thought about how cosy=sin(90-y), so x=sin(90-y) and arcsinx=90-y
but then I also thought about how cosy=sin(y+90) which would give arcsinx=y+90 which would be wrong. If I didn't do it the examsolutions way, how would I know whether to use sin(y+90) or sin(90-y)?

Also, I know I've used degrees here. Typing pi/2 made it look confusing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it to do with the range of x and y values?
Original post by etherealinsanity
Hi,

I was doing the January 2007 C3 paper and got stuck on the last question. I looked on exam solutions and he did it a different way to how I went about trying to answer the question. I've attached the question and answer below.

I started off with:
y=arccos(x) so x=cosy
I then thought about how cosy=sin(90-y), so x=sin(90-y) and arcsinx=90-y
but then I also thought about how cosy=sin(y+90) which would give arcsinx=y+90 which would be wrong. If I didn't do it the examsolutions way, how would I know whether to use sin(y+90) or sin(90-y)?

Also, I know I've used degrees here. Typing pi/2 made it look confusing.

Please attach the question :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Please attach the question :h:

Sorry! I forgot. I've added it now.
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
Sorry but I think siny =/= cos y+90, siny = cos90-y and that is why
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Original post by Rafoleeno
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

That makes sense to me now. Thank you for putting so much effort into this. It's really helped. :smile:
Original post by etherealinsanity
That makes sense to me now. Thank you for putting so much effort into this. It's really helped. :smile:

No problem good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest