The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone been accepted by the university of Sheffield despite not meeting their offer?

Really worried about not getting the AAB that I need for Sheff, I'm worried that I might fall 1/2 grades below the entry requirements. Are Sheffield lenient with their entry requirements? Have people been accepted before even though they didn't meet the conditions of their offer?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure but I think it depends on whether the course is competitive or not and how far off your grade is from the requirement.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I'm not sure but I think it depends on whether the course is competitive or not and how far off your grade is from the requirement.

I want to do history, feeling really anxious about not getting the grades:frown:
Original post by _Aisha_
I want to do history, feeling really anxious about not getting the grades:frown:

Hopefully you'll get the grades! You might still get accepted if you just miss the grade.
Reply 4
hopefully :/ thanks!!
In exactly the same boat. I currently have BBB. My offer is AAB. Luckily, I pushed to finish everything in 1.5 years instead of 2 so I had this one last exam slot to retake. Just retook bio 4 (unfortunately I was one UMS off last go around.) And then I have math C34 coming up on tuesday which I'm really not prepared for.

I hope we both get the grades we need and if we don't, that Sheffield is nice enough to take us anyway.
I've applied for History and Russian .. also quite worried about not meeting the grade requirements :redface:
yeah me last year missed offer by 3 grades. you will get in to Sheffield definitely if you can get Abb and probably lower thsn that also
Original post by neal95
yeah me last year missed offer by 3 grades. you will get in to Sheffield definitely if you can get Abb and probably lower thsn that also

If you don't mind the coming barrage of questions, what did you apply for? And what was your offer and your actual grades in the end?

Thanks!
Original post by jackien1
If you don't mind the coming barrage of questions, what did you apply for? And what was your offer and your actual grades in the end?

Thanks!

I applied for law my offer was AAA I got BBB and was accepted
Original post by neal95
I applied for law my offer was AAA I got BBB and was accepted

Wow! That's quite the large gap, lucky you!

How's the school?

How's the school?

Yeah it's a decent law school and I'm on track for a solid 2:1 at the end of my first year there which shows a levels aren't always an indicator of how you will do. I credit the year off I had taking a level exams privately which helped me Instil a positive work ethic and ability to study independently.....some people I know at uni are we're too reliant on their teachers during a levels and this showed in their inability to revise for exams properly. I much prefer the uni way of things, especially for coursework, as there is no box ticking exercise like at a levels and you have the freedom to include your own sources etc.

Also I think because the unlimited recruitment rule which used to be ABB+ was dropped last year, unis have more flexibility in recruiting students who fall short, and it's obviously in their interests to get a lot of people on board
Original post by neal95

I've seen you alot on this forum and after reading your posts, I always thought you were in Oxbridge doing law. Yes, tell me. How is Sheffield?

How's the school?

The law schools in Liverpool and Sheffield are not difficult to get into. They will inflate their offer by asking for AAA or AAB but the well-informed ones know that getting BBB is sufficient. They have always been in Clearing. To get more students to apply for their courses, the uni has had to join hands with student agencies in China, Malaysia etc just to bring in the numbers.

What I like about Liverpool and Sheffield's law school is that the competition is not really tough but the Asian students are pretty smart and hardworking. If you practice answering questions diligently you can get a first class honours. The cost of living in Liverpool and Sheffield is very low compared to other parts of UK.
Original post by Audrey18

The law schools in Liverpool and Sheffield are not difficult to get into. They will inflate their offer by asking for AAA or AAB but the well-informed ones know that getting BBB is sufficient. They have always been in Clearing. To get more students to apply for their courses, the uni has had to join hands with student agencies in China, Malaysia etc just to bring in the numbers.

What I like about Liverpool and Sheffield's law school is that the competition is not really tough but the Asian students are pretty smart and hardworking. If you practice answering questions diligently you can get a first class honours. The cost of living in Liverpool and Sheffield is very low compared to other parts of UK.

Do you know about their department of molecular biology and biotechnology? Is it lenient there? I have an offer for AAB but might miss it by one grade. And I'm from Singapore, if that helps my chances since I'll be paying a higher school fee compared to taking in a home student.
Original post by Audrey18
I've seen you alot on this forum and after reading your posts, I always thought you were in Oxbridge doing law. Yes, tell me. How is Sheffield?

Haha it's good thanks. We've had a lot of visits from magic circle firms and lawyers from herbert smith freehills and rpc who attended Sheffield who have hosted workshops and skills
Sessions with the aim of getting us to apply. Also, from what I've seen of the majority of Asian students, there not necessarily hardworking :P. From my observations they are either; 1. In Kfc 2. With their girlfriend/boyfriend 3. Sleeping at their desk or 4. Watching anime or on steam during lectures
Original post by neal95
Haha it's good thanks. We've had a lot of visits from magic circle firms and lawyers from herbert smith freehills and rpc who attended Sheffield who have hosted workshops and skills
Sessions with the aim of getting us to apply. Also, from what I've seen of the majority of Asian students, there not necessarily hardworking :P. From my observations they are either; 1. In Kfc 2. With their girlfriend/boyfriend 3. Sleeping at their desk or 4. Watching anime or on steam during lectures

Are they still getting the grades though? Plus, they could study at home.
Are they still getting the grades though? Plus, they could study at home.

Yeah they are probably getting the grades, I don't know them well enough to ask but I doubt their parents would accept 40% if they are paying large sums of money as international students. However, you do have to question that sometimes as many of them don't have a good command of English and they are studying some pretty rigorous courses
Original post by neal95
Yeah they are probably getting the grades, I don't know them well enough to ask but I doubt their parents would accept 40% if they are paying large sums of money as international students. However, you do have to question that sometimes as many of them don't have a good command of English and they are studying some pretty rigorous courses

Oh trust me. Rich chinese students don't think of those sums as large sums of money. I've had friends that go to London and spend 3k pounds on bags and stuff and it's not a big deal to them at all.

The command of English really depends on where they're from.
Oh trust me. Rich chinese students don't think of those sums as large sums of money. I've had friends that go to London and spend 3k pounds on bags and stuff and it's not a big deal to them at all.

The command of English really depends on where they're from.

Lol that's insane, wish I had that cash haha. Yeah I suppose your right but they must be doing something right to stay on the course. Either way, I would definitely recommend Sheffield and I think that if you fall short they are pretty lenient as they are a large uni and are constantly expanding. They are really building a lot on the campus currently and have big plans for the future
Reply 19
Original post by neal95

Do you know if there are many other people doing law with BBB? I've got a conditional offer but doubt I'll get the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest