The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aegonsconquest
I emailed the lady at the exams office in my school but she didn't respond, In times like this I really dont think people care about the futures of alevel students anyway :frown:

I really think you need to get a grip. There are professional people dealing with your exams - it is the exams officers' job to go through the scripts before sending them off to see how many people have failed to follow instructions and put right their mistakes. Yours will have been dealt with appropriately and the staff are just a bit more busy right now and don't have time to reply to every anxious student.
Guys on my history exam at the end of the booklet u get a spare page if u meed more space but i continued my last question onto that page eithout numbering my question even though i was meant.

Really worried please tell me if i will be ok

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I required extra paper to complete my exam paper, but towards the end of the exam, the invigilator claimed he didn't have any treasury tags to tag the extra sheet of paper onto my exam paper, so I had just tucked in the sheet into my exam paper.

This is concerning me, since I fear that the extra paper in the exam booklet may get lost during its transit to the exam board, since it wasn't tagged securely onto the exam paper.

What shall I do?

EDIT: its 1 extra sheet buried in a 12-13 page booklet, I don't think exam officers will go through every paper hoping to find extra sheets like mine will they? i mean they would mostly be tagged onto it.... FML

The same happened to me as there were no treasury tags in our exam hall at the time. Apparently, any loose sheets get treasury tagged anyway, so even if there was no treasury tags during the exam, when your school gets ready to post them through to the exam board, they ensure all loose sheets are fully attached. My invigilator told me to leave my loose sheet hanging halfway out the exam paper so as soon as it reached our exams office they could treasury tag the sheet.

Does your school have an exams office? If you're really concerned, contact wither your exams officer or principal, they may be able to ensure it is attached.
going against the general flow of advice but definitely email your exams officer! Tell him what happened in writing, and then depending on what he says call Edexcel too. Better to be safe than sorry!

Just read that she wasn't responding ; it's up to you. Ring your main school/go in and talk to exams officer. If you really are that panicked, tell a more senior teacher if you cant find exams officer. Don't let other people tell you you're being silly; this is important for you! I'm sure it's fine; they do check it, but if it's nagging you then ask!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopingmedicinae
going against the general flow of advice but definitely email your exams officer! Tell him what happened in writing, and then depending on what he says call Edexcel too. Better to be safe than sorry!

Just read that she wasn't responding ; it's up to you. Ring your main school/go in and talk to exams officer. If you really are that panicked, tell a more senior teacher if you cant find exams officer. Don't let other people tell you you're being silly; this is important for you! I'm sure it's fine; they do check it, but if it's nagging you then ask!

No, this is not necessary. For many exams, simply placing the sheets inside the main answer book is the instruction given by the exam board. Several boards have given up using treasury tags all together. It is a perfectly normal occurrence. There is nothing to even consider worrying about. Exams officers deal with parcelling up scripts all day long and they know how to do it! Source - I've invigilated more exams than I could possibly ever count, and back before you were even thought of, it even used to be my job to take the scripts to the post office and post them off. I assure you, this is not a situation which requires contacting exams officers, exam boards, universities or ANYONE. It is NORMAL.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, this is not necessary. For many exams, simply placing the sheets inside the main answer book is the instruction given by the exam board. Several boards have given up using treasury tags all together. It is a perfectly normal occurrence. There is nothing to even consider worrying about. Exams officers deal with parcelling up scripts all day long and they know how to do it! Source - I've invigilated more exams than I could possibly ever count, and back before you were even thought of, it even used to be my job to take the scripts to the post office and post them off. I assure you, this is not a situation which requires contacting exams officers, exam boards, universities or ANYONE. It is NORMAL.

Okay, thread starter clearly this person has experience, knows more than you and I; this should give you confidence. However I will still say, if you really feel crappy about it; just drop your exams officer a word when you see them. Cannot hurt at the very least if it gives you peace of mind.
Okay, thread starter clearly this person has experience, knows more than you and I; this should give you confidence. However I will still say, if you really feel crappy about it; just drop your exams officer a word when you see them. Cannot hurt at the very least if it gives you peace of mind.

You have quoted the wrong person, I think.
You have quoted the wrong person, I think.

no I didn't, I'm saying I agree with your previous advice that you gave when you quoted me. :smile:
no I didn't, I'm saying I agree with your previous advice that you gave when you quoted me. :smile:

I assumed 'OK thread starter' was addressed to the OP. No matter.
I really think you need to get a grip. There are professional people dealing with your exams - it is the exams officers' job to go through the scripts before sending them off to see how many people have failed to follow instructions and put right their mistakes. Yours will have been dealt with appropriately and the staff are just a bit more busy right now and don't have time to reply to every anxious student.

Absolutely. I can only go so far being supportive, but its different when the person is intent on making a drama out of it irrespective of any advice. I know students are young, but you'd expect some perspective by the time they hit their teens.
Original post by 999tigger
Absolutely. I can only go so far being supportive, but its different when the person is intent on making a drama out of it irrespective of any advice. I know students are young, but you'd expect some perspective by the time they hit their teens.

30 years of teaching has taught me that these things are infinitely variable....
30 years of teaching has taught me that these things are infinitely variable....

Not discounting there arent people like this, but understanding about perspective at an early age will serve them well.
Not discounting there arent people like this, but understanding about perspective at an early age will serve them well.

Indeed so. Wisdom and perspective are two of the massive pluses of being an old bag, I find, and they far eclipse the pluses of youth.

To be honest, I'm worried about incompetency. Blunders are possible when you're dealing with 300+ exam papers a day and especially when you give this task to a 65+ year old exam officer ( yes, most of my school staff, and nearly all of my exam invigilators are quite old)

I think my concern is rational, considering the probability of the event of a loose sheet being lost is likely, albeit low, but still somewhat likely.

PS: I did end up emailing my head of year ( who said its fine, but obviously as advised people on TSR I couldn't afford to risk it by not letting him know)
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest, I'm worried about incompetency. Blunders are possible when you're dealing with 300+ exam papers a day and especially when you give this task to a 65+ year old exam officer ( yes, most of my school staff, and nearly all of my exam invigilators are quite old)

I'm more concerned about the incompetence of 18 year olds who can't follow simple instructions.
I'm more concerned about the incompetence of 18 year olds who can't follow simple instructions.

Is that directly related to me:confused: or just a general statement? If it's the former then I don't quite understand which set of instructions I failed to follow in my situation.
Reply 37

Im a bit worried my hand writing is too messy for an examiner to read..not illegible but messy.My R.E teacher says you lose marks for messy handwriting,is that true?
Is that directly related to me:confused: or just a general statement? If it's the former then I don't quite understand which set of instructions I failed to follow in my situation.

You were told to put the page in the exam booklet. You did this. You have followed the instructions you were given. You have been told that it is not a problem but that it is standard procedure. You should not therefore be worried any further about this. Your suggestion that exams officers are not competent because they are old is offensive.
Original post by AGBF
Im a bit worried my hand writing is too messy for an examiner to read..not illegible but messy.My R.E teacher says you lose marks for messy handwriting,is that true?

Only if it is truly impossible to read, and several examiners will have had a go at it before that conclusion is reached. You would lose the marks you might have got if they had been able to read it, because obviously marks can't be given for what no one can see is there, but marks aren't deducted as a kind of 'punishment'.

Latest