The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Cost of Student Living

After looking at accommodation in my preferred university, the block I like the most costs between £189-£204 a week, which equates to around £6,923-£7,502 a year, and with a student loan of up to £8,200 a year, would it be possible (to think of a better word) to then live from under £700 a year, or do I need to look for cheaper accommodation?
Original post by bp_9991
After looking at accommodation in my preferred university, the block I like the most costs between £189-£204 a week, which equates to around £6,923-£7,502 a year, and with a student loan of up to £8,200 a year, would it be possible (to think of a better word) to then live from under £700 a year, or do I need to look for cheaper accommodation?

Here's a rough guide of living costs at Bath. Take off things and add things as you see fit.

I stayed at Eastwood which was £88 p/w when I was there (it's gone up slightly in price now) and to be honest, it was all I needed. Though I would understand if you had needs to be catered or have an en suite bathroom, etc, but it is just something to think about. If your course isn't that intensive contact hours wise, then you can always apply for a part time job, either somewhere in the city or even on campus.

I can't tell if your £700 per year excludes food (as in, are you getting catering credit or something?) because that'd be about £80 per month which is a bit tight to be honest. If your food / catering credit isn't included and you have to buy food with that, I think it will be a bit too close for comfort. If not, then I think you could get away with it but you'd have to budget very carefully.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest