The Student Room Group

On UCAS, what is the best way to answer gender, race and sexuality questions?

The reason I ask this is that I am worried about being discriminated against by answering these questions in my UCAS application, and obviously I want to maximise my chances of being accepted into a good university.You may think it is ironic that I am asking this, because interms of my gender, race and sexuality, on the surface it appears I fit into the category that is most widely discriminated FOR. This is because I am male, white and straight. However, I am worried about race and gender quotas affecting my application, and I fear that actually, as a white, straight male I amactually more likely to be discriminated against in terms of university applications because of positive discrimination policies and quotas to try to increase the numbers of women and non-white people entering university. Also, I don't see how these are in anyway relevant questions, and I think university applications should be made gender, race, sexuality and name blind, as that is, in my opinion, the only way to truly eliminate conscious and or subconscious as well as institutional discrimination.Therefore, I am seriously thinking about answering all these questions with: "prefer not to say". However, I am also worried that this may also act against me as admissions tutors may not take kindly to such an answer and again I may be discriminated against either consciously, subconsciously or institutionally. There is also another factor, what if genuinely would benefit from subconscious discrimination by admitting that I am white, male and straight? So as you can see I feel very conflicted by this. Personally, I wish they would't ask the questions at all.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, it doesn't matter

If you have the grades and a decent PS, you'll get offers
It is purely for statistical purposes and iirc the admissions tutors don't even see that part. There is no need to 'game' the odds. Answer truthfully or don't answer it at all. Either option will make no difference to your being accepted or not.
get a grip

unis here don't care much about filling quotas -_- stop trolling
Original post by aeroline1999
The reason I ask this is that I am worried about being discriminated against by answering these questions in my UCAS application, and obviously I want to maximise my chances of being accepted into a good university.You may think it is ironic that I am asking this, because interms of my gender, race and sexuality, on the surface it appears I fit into the category that is most widely discriminated FOR. This is because I am male, white and straight. However, I am worried about race and gender quotas affecting my application, and I fear that actually, as a white, straight male I amactually more likely to be discriminated against in terms of university applications because of positive discrimination policies and quotas to try to increase the numbers of women and non-white people entering university. Also, I don't see how these are in anyway relevant questions, and I think university applications should be made gender, race, sexuality and name blind, as that is, in my opinion, the only way to truly eliminate conscious and or subconscious as well as institutional discrimination.Therefore, I am seriously thinking about answering all these questions with: "prefer not to say". However, I am also worried that this may also act against me as admissions tutors may not take kindly to such an answer and again I may be discriminated against either consciously, subconsciously or institutionally. There is also another factor, what if genuinely would benefit from subconscious discrimination by admitting that I am white, male and straight? So as you can see I feel very conflicted by this. Personally, I wish they would't ask the questions at all.

You do realise this is illegal and there would be SEVERE repercussions for the university if they were found guilty of this.

I put prefer not to answer for all three and got offers from all the unis I applied to, which were all top tier Russel Group Universities
Can you cite evidence to show race and gender quotas are widespread in the UK university system?

If not, you've got nothing to worry about, the issue only exists in your head.

Although if you are really concerned about It, feel free to list yourself as a gender fluid Eskimo.
Original post by super_kawaii
You do realise this is illegal and there would be SEVERE repercussions for the university if they were found guilty of this.

I put prefer not to answer for all three and got offers from all the unis I applied to, which were all top tier Russel Group Universities

Okay, thank you. I will probably do "prefer not to say".

I know its illegal but at the same time for some reason positive discrimination is becoming quite common and I don't want to be a victim of that. Also its very hard to know if someone is actually discriminating against you because quite often it is subconscious.
Okay, thank you. I will probably do "prefer not to say".

I know its illegal but at the same time for some reason positive discrimination is becoming quite common and I don't want to be a victim of that. Also its very hard to know if someone is actually discriminating against you because quite often it is subconscious.

If you're so worried about discrimination, white working class males are the most discriminated against group in the country when it comes to education.

Uni's don't even see that information, so it's impossible for them to discriminate on them. All they see are your PS and grades (both achieved and predicted) so the can make a decision solely based on your academic prowess
Original post by Quantex
Can you cite evidence to show race and gender quotas are widespread in the UK university system?

If not, you've got nothing to worry about, the issue only exists in your head.

Although if you are really concerned about It, feel free to list yourself as a gender fluid Eskimo.

Well its more when politicians say things like "We should encourage more people from disadvantaged backgrounds to go to university" etc.

I think, well how can they really do that, everyone follows the same process as everyone else so the only way I can see is positive discrimination.

But as I said, I think the questions are irrelevant and shouldn't be asked at all.
Original post by super_kawaii
If you're so worried about discrimination, white working class males are the most discriminated against group in the country when it comes to education.

Uni's don't even see that information, so it's impossible for them to discriminate on them. All they see are your PS and grades (both achieved and predicted) so the can make a decision solely based on your academic prowess

I can't really count myself as working class. My parents definitely are, but I don't think I am.
I can't really count myself as working class. My parents definitely are, but I don't think I am.

I'm interested in how this is so?

You're worrying over nothing. It is a complete non issue in the UK. All that matters is your academic prowess and your dedication to your subject. That's all they go on when they decide to whether to offer you a place or not
Original post by RayApparently
I'm interested in how this is so?

Well my parents grew up in a very working class area of Scotland. My grandad used to work in shipbuilding in the 1980s, and we all know how that went down. So my Dad spent much of his childhood in near poverty and he was expected to get also go into ship building but after the yards closed, obviously he couldn't. He ended up going to university after being encouraged by a teacher to go. He left university and moved down to London, and after about 10 years he'd started to do quite well for himself. And so I basically grew up in London's middle class suburbs and have lived quite a comfortable life so far, so I don't really think I could describe myself as working class at all.
Reply 13
Personally, I wish they would't ask the questions at all.

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
"To assist universities and colleges in monitoring their compliance with the Equality Act 2010, we collect details of your ethnicity and give you the option to tell us your sexual orientation, gender identity and religious belief. This information is provided to your chosen university or college after you have secured a place or at the end of the application cycle."
Original post by jneill
https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
"To assist universities and colleges in monitoring their compliance with the Equality Act 2010, we collect details of your ethnicity and give you the option to tell us your sexual orientation, gender identity and religious belief. This information is provided to your chosen university or college after you have secured a place or at the end of the application cycle."

Well, I guess thats not quite so bad then. But other than maybe gender in terms of giving out student accommodation, I still don't understand why they need to know my race and sexuality. Surely the whole point of the Equality Act is to promote equality and how is that possible when they ask all of these questions. Whether they mean to or not, everyone is subject to their own subconscious biases and so the only way to stop that is just don't ask.
Well, I guess thats not quite so bad then. But other than maybe gender in terms of giving out student accommodation, I still don't understand why they need to know my race and sexuality. Surely the whole point of the Equality Act is to promote equality and how is that possible when they ask all of these questions. Whether they mean to or not, everyone is subject to their own subconscious biases and so the only way to stop that is just don't ask.

Are you trying to be obtuse?

It is required so they can prove they are not acting against the law!!!! It will have no influence on your accommodation-you apply for the accommodation you want and they get you sorted based on the personal preferences you provide them with. Like I said, I provided none of the information and it didn't affect ANYTHING because it's irrelevant in how they operate sorting out things like acceptance and accommodation.
Reply 17

Eh?

They use it for analysis to track compliance (and other things)... unless you measure things you can't track them. If you don't know how many white men (say) are applying how do you know if they are being treated equally?
[QUOTE="aeroline1999;65898430"]Well, I guess thats not quite so bad then. But other than maybe gender in terms of giving out student accommodation, I still don't understand why they need to know my race and sexuality. Surely the whole point of the Equality Act is to promote equality and how is that possible when they ask all of these questions. Whether they mean to or not, everyone is subject to their own subconscious biases and so the only way to stop that is just don't ask.[/QUOTE

Also when politicans say they want to encourage kids from unprivileged backgorunds they mean kids from care homes, kids with disabled parents ect.. as they kids are least likely to attend university. Seems like you have taken few words that you have heard a couple times and run away with the idea. Being white isnt going to affect you in when applying to uni. U seemed to have got influenced by postive discrimination things that happens in AMERICA not UK.
What a worry, that as a white man you will be discriminated against....boggles my absolute mind

Latest