The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lahorizon
get a grip

unis here don't care much about filling quotas -_- stop trolling

Yeah, not a troll. Genuine concern. It is my future that depends on this you know.

And actually they sort of do. Slightly different circumstance, but I visited Imperial back in September and the admissions tutor told us that firstly "they prefer non British applicants as they are often of a much higher calibre than British applicants". They also said they have certain quotas for non EU/UK and if they don't fill these quotas then they don't give them over to EU/UK applicants. They also said that "more often than not they exceed the non EU/UK quotas" and "often give extra places to non EU/UK applicants over their required quotas".

So yeah, they have quotas. And worse than that, they don't even have quotas for British students. If they wanted they could accept no British students and just take all foreign applicants. If that isn't messed up I don't know what is. No other country in the world has a university system set up in favour of applicants who live outside that country.

I realise this is a slightly different issue, but still. They do have quotas. Also, please don't have a go at me for the quotes, they are quotes from memory but, if you want to see for yourself, go to an Imperial Open day and go to the talk on Admissions.
Original post by hopingmedicinae
What a worry, that as a white man you will be discriminated against....boggles my absolute mind

It has been proved time and time again that white working class males have the lowest academic attainment and are least likely to gain entry into university :fyi:
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you trying to be obtuse?

How am I being obtuse exactly?
Reply 23
Original post by aeroline1999
Yeah, not a troll. Genuine concern. It is my future that depends on this you know.

And actually they sort of do. Slightly different circumstance, but I visited Imperial back in September and the admissions tutor told us that firstly "they prefer non British applicants as they are often of a much higher calibre than British applicants". They also said they have certain quotas for non EU/UK and if they don't fill these quotas then they don't give them over to EU/UK applicants. They also said that "more often than not they exceed the non EU/UK quotas" and "often give extra places to non EU/UK applicants over their required quotas".

So yeah, they have quotas. And worse than that, they don't even have quotas for British students. If they wanted they could accept no British students and just take all foreign applicants. If that isn't messed up I don't know what is. No other country in the world has a university system set up in favour of applicants who live outside that country.

I realise this is a slightly different issue, but still. They do have quotas. Also, please don't have a go at me for the quotes, they are quotes from memory but, if you want to see for yourself, go to an Imperial Open day and go to the talk on Admissions.

Are you applying for medicine?

No, they can't. I will summon our resident UCAS expert to explain exactly why this is complete nonsense:
@PQ
How am I being obtuse exactly?

By failing to grasp the obvious, even after it has been pointed out to you by jneill, carnationlilyrose et al.
What a worry, that as a white man you will be discriminated against....boggles my absolute mind

Everyone can be discriminated against. Being white and male doesn't make you immune.

Lool you need to calm down, the reason they may want more students from aboard its becuase they can charge them more. Riduclously more in fact. Stop trying to make it into massive issue. Stop trying to make out as if everything is against you.
Original post by jneill
Are you applying for medicine?

No, engineering. Either civil or general, university depending.
Original post by super_kawaii
It has been proved time and time again that white working class males have the lowest academic attainment and are least likely to gain entry into university :fyi:

No-one mentioned academic achievement? That's completely on him! i don't know what course is being applied for here, but to take Medicine as an example, there is a massive disparity in the amount of black males and white male doctors in this country - a disparity going against black males no doubt. For you to sit here and think you are at risk of discrimination because you are white; is not comprehensible to me at least. It would very much surprise me if you were discriminated AGAINST in anything professional during your lifetime, much less the educational system.

I literally think this is the most overdramatic thread I have possibly read yet. I'm sorry if I seem harsh, truly I am, but it's a little bit silly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sarahellens
Lool you need to calm down, the reason they may want more students from aboard its becuase they can charge them more. Riduclously more in fact. Stop trying to make it into massive issue. Stop trying to make out as if everything is against you.

That sort of demonstrates that it is though. Because they'd rather go for people they can charge more money.......
No-one mentioned academic achievement? That's completely on him! i don't know what course is being applied for here, but to take Medicine as an example, there is a massive disparity in the amount of black males and white male doctors in this country - a disparity going against black males no doubt. For you to sit here and think you are at risk of discrimination because you are white; is not comprehensible to me at least. It would very much surprise me if you were discriminated AGAINST in anything professional during your lifetime, much less the educational system.

Where did I say I was discriminated against in the educational system? Besides I have-I got rejected from masters programmes because I am white and they openly state they prefer Chinese students for the course.

That sort of demonstrates that it is though. Because they'd rather go for people they can charge more money.......

They actually don't get more money from international students-the government makes up the difference for home students. Even though fees for home and EU students have gone up in recent years, they are still seriously subsidised by the government

But thats how the world works. Unis are businesses aswell. But your acting as if because ur male and white, you are defo gonna be discriminated against. When that isnt the case. Unis in the uk dont care that much. If you have good grades and good ps then they is nothing to worry about
Reply 33

In which case THERE ARE NO QUOTAS.
Original post by jneill
In which case THERE ARE NO QUOTAS.

But they categorically stated in the engineering talk I went to at Imperial (and the admissions talk) that they do have quotas for Non EU/UK students. That they have to fill and more often than not exceed. So are you saying that they both lied?
But they categorically stated in the engineering talk I went to at Imperial (and the admissions talk) that they do have quotas for Non EU/UK students. That they have to fill and more often than not exceed. So are you saying that they both lied?

What has that got to do with you being male and white. Non EU students apply through diffrerent system anyway i think. If you put real gender and race it makes no difference .So why are u worried? You could just work hard and get place like eevryone else.

If the quotas are government imposed, then the university is acting illegally by exceeding them.

Besides, numbers of international students allowed does not normally affect the number of home students allowed to study on the course.

The only quotas engineering courses should have are the number of students they can physically cater for, whether they be home or international students. As said before, it is all based on academic prowess
Reply 37

I suspect you misunderstood. In the same way you appear to have misunderstood (either deliberately or unintentionally) the advice you have already been given on this thread.

They may encourage International applicants (who, incidentally may be white, male, and straight... but hey...) but they won't have a quota. After all Internationals do pay rather more fees than Home/EU students...

The only quotas around recruiting more international students at any university come from the senior managers and budget setters who are looking to maximise income. I think you've misunderstood comments meant to help you understand that imperial recruit the best applicants in the world (and so you need to have world leading grades not just uk leading in order to get an offer) as implying discrimination in recruitment.

Universities like imperial could fill their courses many times over with international students. They choose not to in many cases because international students come to the uk looking to study in a uk university. Courses where the majority of students are international have caused huge international reputational damage to universities. Why come from China to LSE to study economics if 90% of your classmates are Chinese - that isn't the learning experience that those students were sold or paid for.

There's no risk to completing equal opportunities questions honestly on UCAS. The information you assume they discriminate on (fee status) is something universities determine themselves - it isn't part of the UCAS form.
Original post by sarahellens
What has that got to do with you being male and white. Non EU students apply through diffrerent system anyway i think. If you put real gender and race it makes no difference .So why are u worried? You could just work hard and get place like eevryone else.

That doesn't. It was just because someone said they didn't have any quotas, I was just pointing out they definitely do, even if it is a different type of quota.

Also I don't think working hard is good enough.

I could (and hopefully will have) 4 A's in my AS exams and predicted A*A*A*A overall, and yet I still think the odds are against me. Theres just too few places. I think its like 7 applicants for every place at universities like Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham etc.