The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Distinction, or Merit? My comparison was 2 in STEP vs Merit in AEA :wink:

yep I think distinction. I know a couple people who took AEA last year and so long as you are good with rearranging the problem solving part isnt that hard, so in that sense it depends what you prefer to be doing. Its that sort of accuracy but less detail vs more detail but less fiddly (step) kind of thing :smile:
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I would say MAT is certainly harder than AEA (at least in my opinion), I messed up my MAT so bad that I didn't ask for my mark but Imperial still accepted me lol.

lol same with me. I did AEA papers in prep for MAT but the MAT papers felt less obvious (although id hope theyd seem trivial now! :wink: )
Reply 1862
STEP III 2015, Q5, part (ii):

Spoiler

Original post by EnglishMuon
yep I think distinction. I know a couple people who took AEA last year and so long as you are good with rearranging the problem solving part isnt that hard, so in that sense it depends what you prefer to be doing. Its that sort of accuracy but less detail vs more detail but less fiddly (step) kind of thing :smile:

So if a Distinction is easier than a 2 then a Merit is even easier... :smile: Coolio.
Original post by jneill
Folks, how does STEP I compare with AEA.

Specifically, a requirement to achieve 2 in STEP I vs Merit in AEA - which is "easier"...?

Merit in AEA is a lot easier than a 2 in STEP 1.
Distinction in AEA is slightly easier than a 2 in STEP 1.
Original post by to4ka
STEP III 2015, Q5, part (ii):

Spoiler

That was my method as well. Can't see why they wouldn't accept it, in fact imo it's a cleaner solution
Could I have some advice about (iv) of Q 2 III 2015?

Spoiler

Reply 1867
Could I have some advice about (iv) of Q 2 III 2015?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by to4ka

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1869

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I used a similar sort of idea but more rigorous

Spoiler

Original post by to4ka

Spoiler

ok, well Ill deduct 1 just incase anyway :wink: , but thanks! But yeah I have to admit this was a much easier paper than usual for III. Normally I can get a 'healthy' S by about 5 or so marks, but think I got ~105,110 in this one. I just hope Thursdays isnt too much worse.
If anyone has the time give me a quick mark approximation from I and II (I didn't do great so should be that many marks to 'count' xD)
STEP I

Spoiler

STEP II

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
If someone can check Q6 2015 III for me
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466264958.446314.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1874
ok, well Ill deduct 1 just incase anyway :wink: , but thanks! But yeah I have to admit this was a much easier paper than usual for III. Normally I can get a 'healthy' S by about 5 or so marks, but think I got ~105,110 in this one. I just hope Thursdays isnt too much worse.

Wishing you gl, although I'm fairly sure you'll have next to no problems in the real thing :wink:
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I used a similar sort of idea but more rigorous

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by to4ka
Wishing you gl, although I'm fairly sure you'll have next to no problems in the real thing :wink:

Thanks! and same to u too :smile: Im just gonna have fun hopefully
Original post by ComputerMaths97
If anyone has the time give me a quick mark approximation from I and II (I didn't do great so should be that many marks to 'count' xD)
STEP I

Spoiler

STEP II

Spoiler

For II I reckon about 8+16+15 for the pure questions. Not sure about the stats though, sorry!

Spoiler

Spoiler

For II I reckon about 8+16+15 for the pure questions. Not sure about the stats though, sorry!

Thanks mate I really appreciate it! :smile: So I probs got around 40-45, hopefully that'll get me a 3 at least xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending