The Student Room Group

A-Levels for Imperial College?

Hey,
I have to firm my A-Level choices next Tuesday and am unsure if these choices would be acceptable if I potentially want to go to Imperial College London to do 'Ecology and Environmental Biology' which they would like AAA in A Levels for. Must include Biology and Maths/Physics or Chemistry and the other they say they don't mind what (excl General Studies), do they actually not mind about the other one though?
What's your view on these A-Levels (the ones I'm currently thinking of taking): Maths, Biology, Geology, Photography, do these seem appropriate? Also, any opinions/experience of Geology as I don't know anyone that's done it before?..

Sorry for all the questions, would really appreciate any opinions/advice :smile:
Original post by student2607
Hey,
I have to firm my A-Level choices next Tuesday and am unsure if these choices would be acceptable if I potentially want to go to Imperial College London to do 'Ecology and Environmental Biology' which they would like AAA in A Levels for. Must include Biology and Maths/Physics or Chemistry and the other they say they don't mind what (excl General Studies), do they actually not mind about the other one though?
What's your view on these A-Levels (the ones I'm currently thinking of taking): Maths, Biology, Geology, Photography, do these seem appropriate? Also, any opinions/experience of Geology as I don't know anyone that's done it before?..

Sorry for all the questions, would really appreciate any opinions/advice :smile:

Geology may be all right, but Photography isn't a facilitating subject and this may put you at a disadvantage if you apply. I'd say take one of Chemistry or Physics if you can.

'It is claimed that Oxford, Imperial College, University College London, Bristol, Durham and St Andrews admit the fewest students with non-traditional A levels. For example Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, and Physics make up almost half of accepted A levels at Bristol and UCL.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,

Well, those subjects would fulfill the entry requirements. You might want to consider replacing Photography with Physics or Chemistry though, since Imperial clearly thinks that A Level Physics or Chemistry are worth doing (I don't study this course but looking through the modules offered, Chemistry might be a good one to choose, but either of them are better than Photography). If you desperately want to take Photography then maybe consider replacing Geology with Physics or Chemistry, although I think Photography would be better to drop than Geology (...not that I'm biased at all).

I didn't do Geology at A Level but people I know who took it were generally very positive about it. There are quite a few people taking A Level Geology in this thread so you could send them a PM to find out more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Edminzodo
Geology may be all right, but Photography isn't a facilitating subject and this may put you at a disadvantage if you apply. I'd say take one of Chemistry or Physics if you can.

Thank you, I wanted to take it in case I want to go into photography as I originally wanted to do that and I really enjoy it, but not sure how much the A-Level is actually necessary to getting jobs so wouldn't have to do it. Also I now really want to go in to Marine Biology/ Global Warming Research/ Conservation and that sort of area so I could cut it out altogether. & Yeah it's true especially if they are both hmm subjects then it could have an effect. Do universities mind what you do up to AS level, say I did photography up to that?

Just seen the edit: Will definitely have to reconsider if it is likely to have an effect, just not sure what to..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Well, those subjects would fulfill the entry requirements. You might want to consider replacing Photography with Physics or Chemistry though, since Imperial clearly thinks that A Level Physics or Chemistry are worth doing (I don't study this course but looking through the modules offered, Chemistry might be a good one to choose, but either of them are better than Photography). If you desperately want to take Photography then maybe consider replacing Geology with Physics or Chemistry, although I think Photography would be better to drop than Geology (...not that I'm biased at all).

I didn't do Geology at A Level but people I know who took it were generally very positive about it. There are quite a few people taking A Level Geology in this thread so you could send them a PM to find out more.

Thank you, yeah I could replace it, but would be quite sad not to do it as I did really enjoy Art GCSE and Photography is one of my passions even more so. But I suppose A-Levels aren't exactly meant to be fun. & Yeah I could do Chemistry, just not particularly interested in it or Physics but they have begun to really click since revising for my GCSE's, still have C3 and P3 left though...Really stuck what to pick, hm.

& Thanks for the thread, will definitely have a look, think I would find it interesting as the Earthquake/Rock/Volcano units of Physics and Chemistry really interested me and made a lot of sense so I would like to know more about them :smile:
Thank you, yeah I could replace it, but would be quite sad not to do it as I did really enjoy Art GCSE and Photography is one of my passions even more so. But I suppose A-Levels aren't exactly meant to be fun. & Yeah I could do Chemistry, just not particularly interested in it or Physics but they have begun to really click since revising for my GCSE's, still have C3 and P3 left though...Really stuck what to pick, hm.

& Thanks for the thread, will definitely have a look, think I would find it interesting as the Earthquake/Rock/Volcano units of Physics and Chemistry really interested me and made a lot of sense so I would like to know more about them :smile:

I don't think there's any harm in taking a "fun" A Level and as I've said, the A Levels you've outlined above do fulfill the entry requirements and it's perfectly possible to get an offer with those subjects (particularly since I'd assume this isn't one of Imperial's more competitive courses). But, it is probably true that Chemistry and/or Physics would give you a better preparation for the course than Geology or Photography.
Hey,

If you do subjects such as maths, biology and chemistry(replacing photography) you will have a better chance (I'm looking at this in the unis perspective) of receiving an offer. But at the end of the day, the most important thing is you being happy and if you like a subject and want to study it... Go for it. All the best!
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't think there's any harm in taking a "fun" A Level and as I've said, the A Levels you've outlined above do fulfill the entry requirements and it's perfectly possible to get an offer with those subjects (particularly since I'd assume this isn't one of Imperial's more competitive courses). But, it is probably true that Chemistry and/or Physics would give you a better preparation for the course than Geology or Photography.

Okay, thank you :smile: Will look into swapping Geology out with Physics or Chemistry or maybe Photography & Yeah true, I don't think it is either as the requirements seem lower than for most of the other courses xD Definitely all food for thought, appreciate your help and will think about it all carefully before Induction next Wednesday but for now better start revising for B3..
Reply 8
Original post by Raizelcadres
If you do subjects such as maths, biology and chemistry(replacing photography) you will have a better chance (I'm looking at this in the unis perspective) of receiving an offer. But at the end of the day, the most important thing is you being happy and if you like a subject and want to study it... Go for it. All the best!

Thank you! :smile: It's hard to try and find a balance and fit the requirements but will have to think about it all, thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JohnGreek
Only if it's relevant to your course and you can show that it enhances your skills as an undergraduate. 'Super'-curriculars, not extra-curriculars!

Okay thanks, will try and look into doing work experience in the area I'd like to go in to along with already doing that other stuff as they don't link that much :smile:
Original post by JohnGreek
That should be fine. I should probably add that mentioning your role as a Deputy Head Girl could you in your academic reference, as it shows that you're fairly academically proficient, that you are responsible, that you've earned your teacher's admiration and/or trust, etc. :smile:

One suggestion I've seen is that you could split your "achievements" into character-based stuff that goes into your academic reference, and academic - related stuff that goes into your personal statement. That way, you can get to show how much you love the academia behind your subject (by, for example, getting work experience, participating in maths or chemistry competitions, or whatever), while complementing it with all the wishy-washy stuff that your teachers may wish to say about you (being hardworking, diligent, involved, trustworthy, etc)

Yeah, that sounds like a really good plan actually, thank you! :smile: Then it would show a range of 'achievements' and not put the other things to waste. Looking forward to next Friday when GCSE's are over and I can have more time to look into all this, out of interest, as it's probably quite early for all that now, and I might be a bit young (Still 15) & Also going to the 6th form I'm going to with some of my other friends that are going there next week :smile: All rolling into action, thanks again :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo

'It is claimed that Oxford, Imperial College, University College London, Bristol, Durham and St Andrews admit the fewest students with non-traditional A levels. For example Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, and Physics make up almost half of accepted A levels at Bristol and UCL.'

I'm the admissions tutor at Bristol.

What you say may well be true but don't jump to the conclusion that an admissions tutor is discriminating against certain A level subjects. At Bristol we have fewer students offering non-traditional A levels because we insist on Maths as well as Chemistry. These two subjects thus automatically occupy two of the subjects in an offer from us (leaving less room for other subjects). This is also the case at many of the other institutions you mention. The only A level subjects that are excluded from our offers for Chemistry are General Studies and Critical Thinking.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest