The Student Room Group

OCR Twenty First Century Science Physics P1-7 *Official Thread 2016*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aishoolimoo
Wasn't beta the second box as it would be stopped by aluminium and gamma the first box as it would pass through card and aluminium?

For the circuit measurements, as it was only 1 mark and it specifies the type of measurement in the question, would you need the units
Original post by Lewisjj
For the circuit measurements, as it was only 1 mark and it specifies the type of measurement in the question, would you need the units

Did it not give the units? Cause I didn't put them either!
Original post by NiamhM1801
Did it not give the units? Cause I didn't put them either!

I can't remember, they must have and I just didn't see them
Original post by Lewisjj
I can't remember, they must have and I just didn't see them

Normally if they want you to give the units they specify in the question, I didn't see that however I was rushing so might have just missed it. I'll be so annoyed if you did!!
Normally if they want you to give the units they specify in the question, I didn't see that however I was rushing so might have just missed it. I'll be so annoyed if you did!!

They definatelty didn't ask for the units
Original post by Lewisjj
They definatelty didn't ask for the units

Ah good
P7 tomorrow! :woo:
How's everyone feeling? Confident?
It's my last... can't wait!
I think im feeling good, i'm hoping to get an A* but i don't really mind either way, but because i'm taking it for A-levels i want to get the best i can. If it's like the P456 i'll be happy becuase that was a good paper and P123 wasn't bad but wasn't the best paper either, the coursework i was one off an A* so i've ser myself up for a close run here.

P7 is a decent topic though and looking back at the past papers there always seems to be some form of 6 marker on telescopes. Ray diagrams will probably come up and i'm okay with them but sometimes i get myself confused a bit i think with different types of diagram (two sources etc.)

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :h:
Original post by hioidjiojsoj
It's my last... can't wait!

Mine too :biggrin: (well, one of them)
Good luck! :h:
Original post by Mr_Elmo
I think im feeling good, i'm hoping to get an A* but i don't really mind either way, but because i'm taking it for A-levels i want to get the best i can. If it's like the P456 i'll be happy becuase that was a good paper and P123 wasn't bad but wasn't the best paper either, the coursework i was one off an A* so i've ser myself up for a close run here.

P7 is a decent topic though and looking back at the past papers there always seems to be some form of 6 marker on telescopes. Ray diagrams will probably come up and i'm okay with them but sometimes i get myself confused a bit i think with different types of diagram (two sources etc.)

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :h:

Good good - I'm feeling pretty confident too!
Yeah P456 was nice wasn't it? That's good for your coursework, I didn't do too great in mine. Yeah I'm sure you're gonna do great :smile:

P7 is quite interesting, and yeah it would make sense since telescopes/lenses make up a large proportion of the module. Ray diagrams is a decent topic and doesn't take that long to learn, so you should be ok. Personally I find extended source easier than point source!!

Good luck to you too, and everyone else :h:
How many marks do you need to get on this paper for around B or and A?

Do you have any predictions?

Mine too :biggrin: (well, one of them)
Good luck! :h:

Good good - I'm feeling pretty confident too!
Yeah P456 was nice wasn't it? That's good for your coursework, I didn't do too great in mine. Yeah I'm sure you're gonna do great :smile:

P7 is quite interesting, and yeah it would make sense since telescopes/lenses make up a large proportion of the module. Ray diagrams is a decent topic and doesn't take that long to learn, so you should be ok. Personally I find extended source easier than point source!!

Good luck to you too, and everyone else :h:
Original post by rebbarn29
How many marks do you need to get on this paper for around B or and A?

Do you have any predictions?

B: mid to high 20s
A: low to mid 30s
So significantly lower than chemistry and biology :smile:

And no predictions unfortunately as I haven't even glanced at a past paper yet :s-smilie:
Thank you very much!!

Good luck tomorrow!

B: mid to high 20s
A: low to mid 30s
So significantly lower than chemistry and biology :smile:

And no predictions unfortunately as I haven't even glanced at a past paper yet :s-smilie:
Original post by rebbarn29
Thank you very much!!

Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck to you too! :h:
Last exam tomorrow! Our teacher didn't cover Right Ascension or angle of declination (basically the top half of that page in the CGP revision guide) so I wonder if there will be a question on that topic; the explanations in the book aren't that great, which is odd because I find the CGP books to be very good in general! Good luck guys 😊
Original post by Ryndvdmddn
Last exam tomorrow! Our teacher didn't cover Right Ascension or angle of declination (basically the top half of that page in the CGP revision guide) so I wonder if there will be a question on that topic; the explanations in the book aren't that great, which is odd because I find the CGP books to be very good in general! Good luck guys 😊

Right Ascension / Declination Video here if you like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrDgyX9M6xU
Original post by Ryndvdmddn

Neither did mine and I found that too!
I think basically declination is how much higher or lower the star is from the celestial equator, and with right ascension it's how far around the earth it is, however what I don't understand is where do you measure right ascension from?
0 hours of right ascension is defined as the direction of the Sun from the Earth during the March equinox. It is a fixed direction in space so the stars have fixed declinations and right ascensions (except for those close enough to shift due to parallax). The Earth rotates on its axis inside this fixed co-ordinate system. It's a common misconception that 0h right ascension is pointing upwards from a fixed position on the Earth but that is NOT the case.

Video linked in my previous post that's waiting approval
I think you measure right ascension from vernal equinox

Neither did mine and I found that too!
I think basically declination is how much higher or lower the star is from the celestial equator, and with right ascension it's how far around the earth it is, however what I don't understand is where do you measure right ascension from?
Right ascention to my knowledge is measured by how far something is across the celestial equator (basically an imaginary line extending from outside the equator), so it is longitude but for space (the across angle). There would be one set point for right ascention somewhere on the earth, not specified i don't think, which would be set as 0 degrees or hours and then you'd go across the celestial equator until you got to the point of the object you're looking for.

Don't know if that makes sense but hope it helps!

Also, topics on the 2015 paper (we did it in class a couple months back):
- Q1. Telescopes, reliability of results, alien life and neutron star formation.
- Q2. Good places for telescopes and 6 marker on good/bad of isolated mountain telescopes.
- Q3. Relationships of data, nothing really on spec.
- Q4. 6 marker on 'ladder of distances' (parallax, cepheid and hubble's law) and how hubble law depends on other methods.
- Q5. Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, line spectra, energy transfers in stars and Kelvin to Celsius calculation.
- Q6. 6 marker on how relationships of pressure, temperature and volume of gas explain how hydrogen fusion begins in a star.

Quick Reply

Latest