The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy10663
Egh, I know, I just try to put results day out of my mind until it actually arrives. If you’ve done well in FP2 then you’ll have got some pretty high UMS there, it was a tough paper. I’m generally OK with FP3 but I really don’t like the loci problems they set in the conics questions.

Last year's one was quite tough.
Original post by Bilal2015
What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries for A and A*?

Did M2 papers all the way from 2004 to 2015 and Solomon but this paper was difficult. What's the correct a Answer for 1b?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

11/3. The wording was a bit weird.
Original post by Sharpify
Can somebody explain how you get 11/3 for question 1b?

I do not understand why some of you have integrated between t = 2 and t = 3 when the question asked you to "Calculate the distance travelled in the 3rd second of motion" which to me is asking you to integrate the absolute (since it is distance not displacement) of the equation between the limits 0 and 3 which leaves you with the answer 15.

I mean, I thought the question was worded poorly anyway, but that's totally beside the point.

In the 3rd second means the distance it travels from its position on second 2 to the position in second 3. second 2 to second 3 is the 3rd second. So if an object is 10m from O when t = 2, and then it is 16m from O when t = 3, it means it traveled 6m on the 3rd second. Integrate with limits 3 and 2
Reply 743
I thought the paper was okay, apart from question 4. Question 4 was tricky. Question 5 was quite involved, though.
Original post by nitromeguy
Answers to edexcel m2 uk paper
1 a) 4ms-2 b) 11/3
2) P =4900 R = 784 d= 53.1
3) c= 10/3
4) x =0.83m, angle 113.6
5) a) friction = (5gdsinthetacostheta)/4
Reaction= (5g/4)(4-dcos^2theta)
b) d = 2.56m
6)a) lambda = 30/7 b) speed 10.4 angle 73.6
7) a) Va = 3u/20 Vb = 21u/10 b) e=1/14 c) no since moving at same speed in same direction

I agree with all of this, exactly what I got
Q5 said write in terms d g theta I didn't do moments therefore never got d But my R and P was still correct how many marks lost??
Anyone got the paper?
Original post by Sharpify
Can somebody explain how you get 11/3 for question 1b?

I do not understand why some of you have integrated between t = 2 and t = 3 when the question asked you to "Calculate the distance travelled in the 3rd second of motion" which to me is asking you to integrate the absolute (since it is distance not displacement) of the equation between the limits 0 and 3 which leaves you with the answer 15.

I mean, I thought the question was worded poorly anyway, but that's totally beside the point.

t=0 to t=1 is the first second, t=1 to t=2 is the second second, t=2 to t=3 is the third second.
Reply 748
How did people find this paper compared to last year's (assuming you did it for revision)?
On the lamina question I worked out the distance of the center of mass from the origin and then worked out the distance from AD for part B and got part B right. I got 2.95 from the origin which is the right distance from 0 (gives 0.823 to 3 sf from AD) any guess on how many marks that would lose ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hineshtailor
For 6bi I said that the angle for direction is 73 Degrees below the vertical is this correct?

Below the horizontal is the correct answer
Damn I think I got 56/75

Bye bye A grade :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@arsey Q5 said write in terms d g theta I didn't do moments therefore never got d But my R and P was still correct how many marks lost??
For 1b), I stupidly integrated between 0 and 2, and 2 and 3. Then found the difference to get 15m. What would I get out of 5, considering I actually did integrate between 2 and 3 as required?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaxyBeast98
For 1b), I stupidly integrated between 0 and 2, and 2 and 3. Then added them together to get 15m. What would I get out of 5, considering I actually did integrate between 2 and 3 as required?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SaxyBeast98
For 1b), I stupidly integrated between 0 and 2, and 2 and 3. Then added them together to get 15m. What would I get out of 5, considering I actually did integrate between 2 and 3 as required?? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Potentially 2 if you integrated correctly. Depends what the marks are awarded for. Definitely no more than 2.
Reply 756
for question 5b, i misread the value mu but did the entire method and previous part correctly, how many marks would i lose? also for 2a, i did 1/12,5 and made a mistake of rewriting it as 1/25, how many marks would i lose for that? and given that 2b required R from 2a, would i lose any marks for 2b? Thanks
Original post by CSLady
On the lamina question I worked out the distance of the center of mass from the origin and then worked out the distance from AD for part B and got part B right. I got 2.95 from the origin which is the right distance from 0 (gives 0.823 to 3 sf from AD) any guess on how many marks that would lose ?

Sometimes they do alternative methods maybe this could be one ( just haven't taken the distance 0 to AD away)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 758
Original post by ChilliLemon
I reckon you would lose some marks

any idea how many?
@Mattematics Q5 said write in terms d g theta I didn't do moments therefore never got d But my R and P was still correct how many marks lost??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending