The Student Room Group

Feelings for my guy best friend

So my best friend is also my ex. We didn't break up over something bad just because it was a long distance relationship for 2 months and we continued to be best friends as our relationship was mostly based on this friendship and the bond and trust that was built. I've know him for 5 years but I haven't seen him for almost 5 years and this summer I'm supposed to meet him again for the first time. But he told me two weeks ago that he and his ex whom he has a history with for 4 years , are now trying to work things out and so they are dating. I feel like I've been used because we've been talking all this time which means he's been talking with both of us but he said he's only started to talk to her for 2 weeks and it hurts because sometimes he talks to me like he is single and sometimes like he is in a relationship. I love him, my feelings for him are a lot stronger than before and he says he also feels something for me but we can't work because of the distance. We've also been talking about things happening between us in the summer. But I feel like I am the other one. Idk if I should move on or try I forget him in that way so we can still be best friends. His friendship is very important to me and he has said that to me too and the only reason why he told me about him and His gf is because he trusts me with everything but this hurts. It feels like he moved on so fast from me like I meant nothing. We also talk everyday and I don't wanna lose him but I also want the best for me...what should I do?
Talk to him
Reply 2
Original post by Arvin Bhambra
Talk to him

And say what? What if he is cold to me
Original post by Anonymous
So my best friend is also my ex. We didn't break up over something bad just because it was a long distance relationship for 2 months and we continued to be best friends as our relationship was mostly based on this friendship and the bond and trust that was built. I've know him for 5 years but I haven't seen him for almost 5 years and this summer I'm supposed to meet him again for the first time. But he told me two weeks ago that he and his ex whom he has a history with for 4 years , are now trying to work things out and so they are dating. I feel like I've been used because we've been talking all this time which means he's been talking with both of us but he said he's only started to talk to her for 2 weeks and it hurts because sometimes he talks to me like he is single and sometimes like he is in a relationship. I love him, my feelings for him are a lot stronger than before and he says he also feels something for me but we can't work because of the distance. We've also been talking about things happening between us in the summer. But I feel like I am the other one. Idk if I should move on or try I forget him in that way so we can still be best friends. His friendship is very important to me and he has said that to me too and the only reason why he told me about him and His gf is because he trusts me with everything but this hurts. It feels like he moved on so fast from me like I meant nothing. We also talk everyday and I don't wanna lose him but I also want the best for me...what should I do?

I kind of get how you feel. And don't take this the wrong way - I'm not trying to be brutal. But..

You're feeling like that because you're 'best friends' with an ex. Who knows, sometimes that can work, but it hasn't for you.

He has kind of cheated/screwed you over by saying that he feels something, and then changing his mind or picking someone else. What you need to do now is cut off contact and fully get over him before you can even think about being friends again. Otherwise, it will never work.

:hugs:
And say what? What if he is cold to me

tell him how you feel. if he goes cold it shows you that he dont like you in that way sorry to say
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
I kind of get how you feel. And don't take this the wrong way - I'm not trying to be brutal. But..

You're feeling like that because you're 'best friends' with an ex. Who knows, sometimes that can work, but it hasn't for you.

He has kind of cheated/screwed you over by saying that he feels something, and then changing his mind or picking someone else. What you need to do now is cut off contact and fully get over him before you can even think about being friends again. Otherwise, it will never work.

:hugs:

What do I do if I'm tempted to talk to him which it will happen..
What do I do if I'm tempted to talk to him which it will happen..

You delete his number, delete any messages, delete... everything about him off your life.

If you ever want to try to get back in touch (who knows - you never might - I don't.) then there's always facebook, or finding a mutual friend or something but you just have to make it near impossible to contact him.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
You delete his number, delete any messages, delete... everything about him off your life.

If you ever want to try to get back in touch (who knows - you never might - I don't.) then there's always facebook, or finding a mutual friend or something but you just have to make it near impossible to contact him.

Should I say something to him first and if so what, before I do all of this and thank you for the advice 😌
Reply 8
[video="youtube;4O_Opkjqav0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_Opkjqav0[/video]
Should I say something to him first and if so what, before I do all of this and thank you for the advice 😌

Say whatever you need to say so that you feel like you get closure.

:hat2:

I'm not saying that you have to do any of this by the way - don't feel pressure to do what I say. But I would strongly recommend doing it, because if you try to remain best friends with him and things develop then it'll really hurt, more than it does now.
Original post by SeanFM
Say whatever you need to say so that you feel like you get closure.

:hat2:

I'm not saying that you have to do any of this by the way - don't feel pressure to do what I say. But I would strongly recommend doing it, because if you try to remain best friends with him and things develop then it'll really hurt, more than it does now.

Yes I know that, but sometimes you need to hear it from someone else - that's what I mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending