The Student Room Group

EU head Juncker: "Deserters will not be welcomed"

Seriously? What a pig. This shows the pure arrogance of the euro elite. There's no room for us to say to the EU "Thanks for the last 30 years or so, we don't think this will work for us but we genuinely wish you well". They're coming across like an abusive spouse; "If you leave me, I will make your life hell".

The problem for Juncker and the EU elites is that they are between a rock and a hard place; ideally they want to make life very hard for us to punish us for leaving and as an example to the others. The problem with that is the UK will be the EU's largest export market, Based on the proportion of trade and export, massively pushing up tariffs against the UK would force German auto manufacturers to lay off tens of thousands of workers.

What do you think the average German auto worker who has just been laid off will think when the Commission says, "Yes we know you are losing your job, but it's for the greater good because allowing you to keep your job will undermine the 'European project'". If anything that will enrage Europe against them.

In any case, the Japanese and South Korean governments (who are extremely deft in managing their trade interests) will be happy to sign a free trade pact with us so Nissa, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia can fill the gap left by the German. If anything those manufacturers will be happy to give us a large discount in order to establish themselves and eat up some market share from the Germans.

It's because of crap like this from Juncker that caused me to switch to Leave about a month ago. We are a proud, fierce nation and we won't be pushed around by some third-rate failed Euro politician.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're also scared that, if we were to go, we'd be the first of many.

A poll not long ago had 88% of the Dutch public in favour of their referendum. Spain, Italy and Greece were also very keen.

If 4 or 5 nations were to vote to leave in a couple of years it could very well be the end of a political European union and all these politicians would be out of a job.
Reply 2
Original post by Thutmose-III
Seriously? What a pig. This shows the pure arrogance of the euro elite. There's no room for us to say to the EU "Thanks for the last 30 years or so, we don't think this will work for us but we genuinely wish you well". They're coming across like an abusive spouse; "If you leave me, I will make your life hell".

More like "if you leave me, you're not getting to stay in the spare bedroom", I think. People do have to be aware that you don't get special treatment once you're out. It rebuts some of the wilder claims of the Leavers.

Still, basing your view of a multi-generational union of states on how an argument was phrased by a single politician is pretty silly really.

In any case, the Japanese and South Korean governments (who are extremely deft in managing their trade interests) will be happy to sign a free trade pact with us so Nissa, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia can fill the gap left by the German. If anything those manufacturers will be happy to give us a large discount in order to establish themselves and eat up some market share from the Germans.

The potential of having to drive a Nissan, Toyoya, Hyundai or Kia is possibly the scariest thing I've heard about Brexit so far.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L i b
More like "if you leave me, you're not getting to stay in the spare bedroom", I think. People do have to be aware that you don't get special treatment once you're out. It rebuts some of the wilder claims of the Leavers.

We'll get the treatment that the UK and rEU's trade self-interest demands. The European Commission simply doesn't have the heft to let tens of thousands of German auto jobs go to the wall in the name of "the European project" and deterring others.

They'll do it because it's in their interests to do it. If Merkel tries to sacrifice tens of thousands of German auto jobs to send a message to other countries thinking about leaving she will be toppled by her own party.

The potential of having to drive a Nissan, Toyoya, Hyundai or Kia is possibly the scariest thing I've heard about Brexit so far.

Typical parochial, racist eurocentric nonsense I've come to expect from Remainers. Why is it that so many of you have never even left Europe or been east of Suez? You're all a bit provincial, aren't you?
Original post by Drewski

A poll not long ago had 88% of the Dutch public in favour of their referendum. Spain, Italy and Greece were also very keen.

If 4 or 5 nations were to vote to leave in a couple of years it could very well be the end of a political European union and all these politicians would be out of a job.

And this is where their own arrogance has killed them. If they'd given Cameron a half decent deal rather than that laughable dog's breakfast we actually got, Remain would probably be romping home now.

Instead, they'll be stuck in the position where the EU Commission is publicly justifying and defending letting tens of thousands of German auto workers go to the wall in order to defend "the European project" and send a signal to others thinking of leaving.

The reality is that your ordinary European person won't choose the "European project" over their own job or that of their neighbour. The only reason to punish Britain is spite and arrogance, and I predict that would merely accelerate the EU's dissolution
Original post by Drewski

Not least the 10,000 paid more than David Cameron.
Your post hits the nail on the head. They are beside themselves with panic.
There is an old saying about democracy that goes "If voting made a difference it wouldn't be allowed"
They are staring into an abyss where voting actually makes a difference.
Original post by L i b

:rolleyes:

You could always stretch a nice rolls if you get tired of of driving a *****y Peugeot.
Reply 7
We'll get the treatment that the UK and rEU's trade self-interest demands. The European Commission simply doesn't have the heft to let tens of thousands of German auto jobs go to the wall in the name of "the European project" and deterring others.

They'll do it because it's in their interests to do it. If Merkel tries to sacrifice tens of thousands of German auto jobs to send a message to other countries thinking about leaving she will be toppled by her own party.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing that we won't continue to buy German cars. You don't have to be in an economic union to do that. But of course, you're right - putting up trade barriers, which is what a leave vote does, will reduce trade and cost jobs - both within the remaining EU and in the UK.

Typical parochial, racist eurocentric nonsense I've come to expect from Remainers. Why is it that so many of you have never even left Europe or been east of Suez? You're all a bit provincial, aren't you?

Nope, just don't like **** cars.
he's sure living up to his surname.
It's because of crap like this from Juncker that caused me to switch to Leave about a month ago. We are a proud, fierce nation and we won't be pushed around by some third-rate failed Euro politician.

I don't really understand how being "proud" is going to protect us from an economic recession.
Original post by L i b

Yeah, I've lost count of how many times people have called the GTR crap.
Original post by Drewski

Agreed ∞%

The EU are *****ing themselves silly.
Original post by L i b
putting up trade barriers

What trade barrier, specifically?

I'm not sure anyone is arguing that we won't continue to buy German cars

We kind of will if the Germans put up tariffs. And then tens of thousands of German auto workers will go to the wall. You'd know about this if you ever read the FT, the German auto industry is *****ing itself at the prospect of a brexit

Thank you for confirming just how parochial and provincial you are. I guess you've never visited the Middle East, one of the steppe countries or Australia. That's cool, most people aren't well-travelled so I don't hold it against you, it just explains a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, I've lost count of how many times people have called the GTR crap.

He's just confirming how provincial he is. Like so many middle-class europhiles I've met, they've never even left Europe.

He clearly hasn't travelled to the Middle East, the steppe countries or Australia where Land Cruisers and Hiluxs are generally considered to be the most sturdy and reliable in their class. Even Saudi princes drive Land Cruisers when they go hunting in the desert.

Of course someone who has never been south of the 40th parrallel or east of Suez would be liable to take that kind of eurocentric, parochial mindset. Realistically speaking it's things like this that cut us off from Asia where the real growth is.

The problem for Juncker and the EU elites is that they are between a rock and a hard place; ideally they want to make life very hard for us to punish us for leaving and as an example to the others. The problem with that is the UK will be the EU's largest export market, Based on the proportion of trade and export, massively pushing up tariffs against the UK would force German auto manufacturers to lay off tens of thousands of workers.

What do you think the average German auto worker who has just been laid off will think when the Commission says, "Yes we know you are losing your job, but it's for the greater good because allowing you to keep your job will undermine the 'European project'". If anything that will enrage Europe against them.

Referendums are a serious threat to Brussels' dominance. Similar language was used when the Swiss voted to get rid of the free movement of workers. Regardless of the outcome of the 'Brexit' referendum, I think it will set in motion a discussion about the EU's role in European sovereignty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aceadria
Referendums are a serious threat to Brussels' dominance. Similar language was used when the Swiss voted to get rid of the free movement of workers. Regardless of the outcome of the 'Brexit' referendum, I think it will set in motion a discussion about the EU's role in European sovereignty. .

I completely agree. There's no reason the European Union can't have a two-tier system; the inner core which pursues "ever closer union" and associate members who are part of the single market but not part of political or fiscal union, or free movement.

The Danes recently had a referendum; they've always had an opt-out from certain Europol provisions but the Commission wanted to change it from a comprehensive to a case-by-case opt out. The Danes rejected it in the referendum, and the Commission proposed that they should be asked to "vote again".

The Commission said the same thing about the Swiss referendum, that they should be asked to "vote again". This has happened repeatedly, when the people of a European country vote the "wrong" way, they are required to vote again until they get the "right" answer.

The thing is, with a Brexit the UK, Switzerland and Norway may be in a position to form a bloc. Together they will at least have some degree of influence and can work together to resist unreasonable EU demands
Reply 16
Thank you for confirming just how parochial and provincial you are. I guess you've never visited the Middle East, one of the steppe countries or Australia. That's cool, most people aren't well-travelled so I don't hold it against you, it just explains a lot.

Seriously MostUncivilised, what's the point in this ********, do you have a personality disorder or something?
Original post by caravaggio2
Not least the 10,000 paid more than David Cameron.
Your post hits the nail on the head. They are beside themselves with panic.
There is an old saying about democracy that goes "If voting made a difference it wouldn't be allowed"
They are staring into an abyss where voting actually makes a difference.

We should enjoy it because if the UK votes for remain it'll be the last time that democracy matters in this country and Europe for a while, after all we've seen how much the EU cares about the concept, in it's own governance and in the will of the European demos.
Oh Come on UK!!
You can't have le beurre et l'argent du beurre~
Reply 19
What trade barrier, specifically?

I said "barriers". Being removed from a single market, exiting a united labour market where there is free movement of workers, exiting a system of common regulation.

We don't even need to consider tariffs or anything of that nature, we're talking about a more fundamental disentanglement.

We kind of will if the Germans put up tariffs. And then tens of thousands of German auto workers will go to the wall. You'd know about this if you ever read the FT, the German auto industry is *****ing itself at the prospect of a brexit

I'm not sure reading the FT is going to give you a particularly in-depth understanding of the German motor industry, but putting that aside for a moment: you're the only one of us who has even mentioned tariffs. You don't require tariffs to damage trade, nor are we looking at the specific concerns of one sector of the economy in one country: this is a far broader question.

I'm afraid I'm a bit beyond silly personal insults.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending