The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sun_Bear
Hey guys! Remember Lee Rigby? he was butchered in the street by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale both got charged with murder but not terrorism. I don't see you campaigning to get them labeled as terrorists so please give it a rest. Is it because that case doesn't suit your agenda?

What specifically should people be giving a rest? The discussion of his motives? His potential links to the far right?

The murderers of Lee Rigby were charged with a range of offences that mean they will likely never be released from prison. Can you cite specific offences from the various terrorism legislation that they should have been charged with instead?

As far as I and likely the vast majority of the U.K. Population are concerned, they were terrorists.
Personally I don't much like the current rush to call all "politically" or "ideologically" motivated violence/killings as "terrorism"

I prefer the older definitions - e.g:

The IRA/CIRA were/are terrorists. ISIS are terrorists.

The Orlando shooter was not (unless he had been directed/trained by ISIL/ISIS - aligning yourself with a terrorist body doesn't make you a terrorist in my book). And neither is Tommy Mair.
Original post by Quantex
What specifically should people be giving a rest? The discussion of his motives? His potential links to the far right?

The murderers of Lee Rigby were charged with a range of offences that mean they will likely never be released from prison. Can you cite specific offences from the various terrorism legislation that they should have been charged with instead?

As far as I and likely the vast majority of the U.K. Population are concerned, they were terrorists.

The Hypocriticalness. Lee Rigby's murderers where not charged with terrorism yet i don't seem to see the same level of out rage from those saying Thomas Mair is a terrorist. I'm not saying Thomas Mair isn't a terrorist, i'm pointing out peoples disparities to suit their agenda.

You may say that i'm saying this to suit my own agenda. I don't care about labelling people things. For me labelling somebody a terrorist is meaningless and doesn't solve anything. I much rather focus on policies to prevent similar scenarios from happening again.
(edited 7 years ago)
The contrast between the media descriptions of the Orlando shooter and the media descriptions of Thomas Mair tells you everything you need to know about how the word "terrorist" is a politically-motivated, anti-Muslim term.
Original post by jneill

The Orlando shooter was not (unless he had been directed/trained by ISIL/ISIS - aligning yourself with a terrorist body doesn't make you a terrorist in my book). And neither is Tommy Mair.

I think this is probably the most useful definition of 'terrorism', in that it actually gives some distinct meaning to the word, and I agree with your application of it.

It is still ultimately open to everyone to argue about how they 'think' it should be defined, because there's no ultimate answer to that. For that reason the preoccupation over the use of the word 'terrorism' is a complete waste of time. We should really be arguing about ideas rather than words.

The same applies to this bafflingly simplistic 'right wing/left wing' argument that seems to have started up in this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think this is probably the most useful definition of 'terrorism', in that it actually gives some distinct meaning to the word, and I agree with your application of it.

It is still ultimately open to everyone to argue about how they 'think' it should be defined, because there's no ultimate answer to that. For that reason the preoccupation over the use of the word 'terrorism' is a complete waste of time. We should really be arguing about ideas rather than words.

The same applies to this bafflingly simplistic 'right wing/left wing' argument that seems to have started up in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know the term is somewhat arbitrary and difficult to give an exact meaning. But all I ask for is consistency. However you define it. If you see the Orlando shooting as terrorism then so is this.

Again, we can debate the definition of terrorism indefinitely. But whatever definition we choose, we must be consistent.

Otherwise there seems to be an agenda when we describe attacks by certain groups as 'terrorism' yet don't describe very similar attacks by other groups as the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
He assinated her full stop

I don't see why people are arguing otherwise
He clearly targeted her, waited for her and murdered her because of his political views...
The guardian are saying they found material regarding Jo Cox in his home as well as right wing other stuff

He is low of the low and all this mental illness stuff proves he knew what he was doing the day he killed her.
Original post by Jee1
Looks like you don't live in the real world. Well let me tell you there are people who were given EU passports in countries such as Sweden and have used it to come to the UK. The UK is like a magnet everyone wants to come here

Just making things up as you are going along.

Where is the evidence for this claim? ( You don't have any)
Hey guys! Remember Lee Rigby? he was butchered in the street by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale both got charged with murder but not terrorism. I don't see you campaigning to get them labeled as terrorists so please give it a rest. Is it because that case doesn't suit your agenda?

So they were not charged with terrorism....so they are not terrorists?
Original post by DorianGrayism
So they were not charged with terrorism....so they are not terrorists?

Neither has this guy yet...
Neither has this guy yet...

I know that.

Anyway, back to the question, if Lee Rigby's murderers were not charged with terrorism then you are not terrorists?
I know that.

Anyway, back to the question, if Lee Rigby's murderers were not charged with terrorism then you are not terrorists?

It seems to me like a very similar situation. It was an attack on a solider as well so could be seen as an act of war. Look, I'm not a criminal lawyer and don't have any access to evidence they used during the trial so it's best let the lawyers and judges decide on the technicality of these issues. Maybe they thought let it be when they found him guilty on enough crimes that they will never come out of prison.
It seems to me like a very similar situation. It was an attack on a solider as well so could be seen as an act of war. Look, I'm not a criminal lawyer and don't have any access to evidence they used during the trial so it's best let the lawyers and judges decide on the technicality of these issues. Maybe they thought let it be when they found him guilty on enough crimes that they will never come out of prison.

They will come out of prison one day, even though they should have been hanged in the first place, thanks Labour party.
Original post by The_Opinion
They will come out of prison one day, even though they should have been hanged in the first place, thanks Labour party.

I haven't found anything on them being able to leave jail?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/lee-rigby-murderer-michael-adebolajo-will-die-in-prison-after-having-appeal-attempt-quashed-9900515.html
Original post by jneill
Oh yes, you're the one who doesn't like people speaking foreign languages in case they might be discussing something bad.

Tommy Mair wasn't talking in a foreign language, and yet he DID something bad. Very bad.

Do you see the difference...?

Eejit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has no relevance to my post

I never said people who talk foreign languages are doing something bad I said they could, could being a probability and I also never said that people speaking the same language wouldn't be doing something bad

So either you're mistaking me for someone else or you just putting words in my mouth, you're almost as bad as those people who are gender fluid
Degenerate

Well, assuming Tommy Mair has no significant psychiatric issues, I have no issue calling both terrorists. Both attacked for Political causes.
Reply 776
Well, assuming Tommy Mair has no significant psychiatric issues, I have no issue calling both terrorists. Both attacked for Political causes.

Terrorism is to suppress a population, assassinations are just assassinations
Original post by EuanF
Terrorism is to suppress a population, assassinations are just assassinations

Sounds like something out of a left wing Islamic terrorist sympathizer.

Lol.

Next, AL Qaeda sympathizer Roshonara Choudhry must be just a political assassin. All she did was stab an MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roshonara_Choudhry
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything but I bet a politician who wants UK to remain paid the bloke to do this and false promised he would get off, and then went back on the promise last minute to make it seem like it was a one man thing :colone: And then...it would look like he represents the Leavers smh.
^ You sure about that man? Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending