The Student Room Group

DNA sequencing and DNA probe A2

does the DNA probe goes before or after DNA sequencing? thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by dfsfdsfd
does the DNA probe goes before or after DNA sequencing? thanks

So DNA probes are single stranded pieces of DNA that have complementary nucleotide bases to the DNA we need to look for, they are obviously labelled and this can be done by either fluorescent light or radioactivity.

For us to use DNA probes we need to already know the sequence of bases that make up the gene. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to make the probe. Therefore you need to know the sequence of the gene first. However scientists now have stockpiles of information on the sequences of genes, like the genes that cause genetic disorders. Therefore they can create a probe to specifically look for a gene that causes sickle-cell anaemia for example.

Hope this helped. I'm studying this stuff myself but used the textbook to make sure this is accurate. (unless someone wants to prove me wrong).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending