The Student Room Group

Has anyone applied or got a summer job?

If so what is it and are you looking forward to it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got a job tutoring year 10's at a centre, the job was offered to me so I took it. Wanted to do retail part time but oh well, I'm happy
Original post by Kiniun
Got a job tutoring year 10's at a centre, the job was offered to me so I took it. Wanted to do retail part time but oh well, I'm happy

which company was it and how did u get it?
I work in retail and I love it, I'm making about a thousand pounds a month and it's pretty fun easy work
Original post by Jackieox
I work in retail and I love it, I'm making about a thousand pounds a month and it's pretty fun easy work

Where is it? lol 1K a month? How many hours per day?
Original post by K.H.A.N™
Where is it? lol 1K a month? How many hours per day?

Yeah so I'll have 3k ish by the end of summer, 8 hours per day, 40 hours a week
Reply 6
I'm trying to find a job and it's not going well :frown: Got rejected by McDonalds lol
Reply 7
I've just finished my degree and been promoted to commercial opportunities manager at my place of work. I'm on secondment until I start my MSc in September!
Original post by ombbk
I'm trying to find a job and it's not going well :frown: Got rejected by McDonalds lol

U need 5 A*s to Cs xD go get some GCSEs xD jkjk
Original post by ombbk

Its a **** job, count yourself lucky they rejected you. Try fun jobs like working in cinema's go online to apply and take your cv to all the cinema's because you get to see free films. Better than mcdonalds any day
Also try www.studentjobs.co.uk
Click on that link above it will take you straight to the website
Original post by ombbk

Also try going to all the walk in agencies on the high street with your cv.
Its the easiest way to get a job because they do all the hard work for you but if you dont hear back from them you have to keep ringing them to remind them your still alive. I think thats why people give up on them but you have to keep ringing them or try new agencies or join as many as possible.
It amazes me how so many people especially with degrees or any qualifications dont join them but not just the online ones but the walk in ones on the street as you will have more success talking face to face to people in the agency
Anyone can join whether they have qualifications or not
Always dress smart because years ago when i joined first time a man walked in wearing jeans and had a scruffy look but when he left the staff were saying they will not call him back because he did not dress smart but i thought that was wicked because it was obvious he wanted to work. The agencies just need to tell people to always dress smart even if its only going to an agency.
But no one has to wear a full suit just black trousers and a nice top at least but never trainers unless their black then no one will notice too much
Or if your really that desperate try all the Burger Kings or any other fast food places like Kentucky fried chicken shops, Iceland because their always advertiing for people and any catering jobs where you get free meals because you dont need any experience for those jobs
Original post by junayd1998
If so what is it and are you looking forward to it.

www.studentjobs.co.uk

Always remember the 3 C's when looking for jobs:
Cinema
Catering
Carer

www.takepartinresearch.co.uk
Click on that link, sign up with them, they pay people £50, £100 or £250
for surveys but you have to kerp ringing thrm once you applied for as many as you want with the dates to do it if you dont hear from them after you applied keep ringing them

If your lucky and get chosen then its an easy way to make money. One time they rang me up after i had to ring them first to enquire about why i have not been contacted for a survey as the date to do it was in 2 days time. They said they will contact the employer but theres no guarantee i will be chosen so you should apply for all the surveys but keep pestering them on the phone after youve applied to do each survey so they dont forget about you

Also apply for Trainee Recruitment Consultant and
Train Assistant jobs
Reply 12
Original post by Judge Judy
Its the easiest way to get a job because they do all the hard work for you but if you dont hear back from them you have to keep ringing them to remind them your still alive. I think thats why people give up on them but you have to keep ringing them or try new agencies or join as many as possible.
It amazes me how so many people especially with degrees or any qualifications dont join them but not just the online ones but the walk in ones on the street as you will have more success talking face to face to people in the agency
Always dress smart because years ago when i joined first time a man walked in wearing jeans and had a scruffy look but when he left the staff were saying they will not call him back because he did not dress smart but i thought that was wicked because it was obvious he wanted to work. The agencies just need to tell people to always dress smart even if its only going to an agency.
But no one has to wear a full suit just black trousers and a nice top at least but never trainers unless their black then no one will notice too much
Or if your really that desperate try all the Burger Kings or any other fast food places like Kentucky fried chicken shops, Iceland because their always advertiing for people and any catering jobs where you get free meals because you dont need any experience for those jobs

thanks for the advice, I don't have any experience as I have never worked before so how do I go about getting a job as most of them require experience?

Simply hand out the cvs in store?
Well, I work online as my own boss and I can simply increase my workload over the summer to increase revenue.

I look forward to it because I've created a business that revolves around my interests.

Sounds like your cup of tea? Come Join me at Wealthy Affiliate. Sign up for free and drop me a message. :smile:
Original post by ARK_REVISES
Simply hand out the cvs in store?

Yes, its as easy as that but only if they accept cv's
I see a lot of jobs being advertised on the shop windows but if you don't see them advertised just ask if they take cv's
You don't need any experience for retail, fast food companies, cinema, catering, care work, Trainee recruitment, Train assistant jobs.
If asking in shops don't work then the Best thing to do is to let walk in agencies find jobs for you

If you can't get a job yet just do voluntary work that you want to do or the career you want or choose a fun voluntary job like working in a theatre. I used to do that in my local area to get a reference and gain new skills and become confident in dealing with people. It gives you something positive to say to employers but the only thing i hated was starting in the evenings from 6pm but the benefits are that i get to see the most amazing shows from burlesque dancers to live bands and famous comedians i saw on tv shows, Bruce Forsyth and some actors from Eastenders. I worked in the Millfield Theatre in Edmonton N18

Their always looking for volunteers or try theatres in your area or west end
Type voluntary work on google and it will show lots of different things
I saw a voluntary job as a voice over for cartoons on indeed website, i applied online but no one contacted me . I should have known it was too good to be true because i could not find a phone number when i typed their company name on google. I saw some interesting voluntary jobs on indeed website aswell as paid jobs too

Working in the theatre wasn't even like a job, it was more like a fun night out without having to pay extravagant prices and you get a free drink but its even better if you can do it with a friend unles you make good friends at the theatre. Some volunteers had been doing it for 10 years or more because its such fun. I did it for 3 years on and off as i would leave if i got a paid job that clashed with my hours at work and when the job ended i would go back
I would reccommend doing voluntary work in a theatre to anyone.
I was always on a high on my way home because of all the brilliant free shows i got to watch but its very embarrassing if comedians single you out for ridicule but that only happened once and it was still very funny. I loved watching the counterfeit rolling stones, live wrestling and the burlesque dancers because it wasn't sleazy, it was fun

www.Millfieldtheatre.co.uk

www.Reed.co.uk
www.CVlibrary.co.uk
www.Indeed.co.uk
www.Monster.co.uk

They all have Trainee recruitment jobs and other jobs on there

Also go to Reed walk in agencies in Stratford, Victoria, Holloway or where ever theres a Reed in your own areas. They can get people jobs
Original post by ombbk
thanks for trhe advice, I don't have any experience as I have never worked before so how do I go about getting a job as most of them require experience?

I left a reply for Ark Revises so just read what i wrote that person and use that.
You don't need experience for most jobs as they are willing to train anyone
but if you can't get any job voluntary work is a good start. If you do voluntary work in an office or as a receptionist you can use the reference they give you to apply for other jobs like that and Trainee recruitment jobs as they pay good money
Men can work as receptionists too or Office, Admin jobs but they think its mainly for women which is definitely not true

As long as a job does not say you need experience then i apply for it
Iv'e got a friend who always makes pathetic excuses about the fact she has no experience so she doesn't bother to apply and that's why she does not have much on her cv because she's not willing to take a chance or try anything i suggest because i have had quite a few different jobs. Even if i'm not confident and don't think i'll get the job i still apply for it but she doesn't.
Original post by ombbk
thanks for the advice, I don't have any experience as I have never worked before so how do I go about getting a job as most of them require experience?

Argos and Poundland accept cv's and you don't need any experience . You can bring it to the shop. I used to work in Poundland. The pay is terrible but it depends on the hours you work.
Do voluntary work in Admin or Receptionist then you can apply for those paid jobs but you can still apply for paid jobs while doing voluntary as i know it doesn't appeal to everyone because i hate working for free
Reply 18
Argos and Poundland accept cv's and you don't need any experience . You can bring it to the shop. I used to work in Poundland. The pay is terrible but it depends on the hours you work.
Do voluntary work in Admin or Receptionist then you can apply for those paid jobs but you can still apply for paid jobs while doing voluntary as i know it doesn't appeal to everyone because i hate working for free

my CV doesn't look very good because i have no experience in retail, will I still be able to work at Poundland?
Original post by ombbk
my CV doesn't look very good because i have no experience in retail, will I still be able to work at Poundland?

Yes you can work in most jobs if you have no experience because most companies are willing to train anyone.
Even though i worked in poundland i had to work one month for free first and work from 3pm to 10 or 11 pm sometimes. I was offered the job after one month but it was temporary for xmas so i was glad not to stay.
Another woman had to work one month for free before they offered her a job even though she had worked for many different retail companies for 10 years. She was realy pissed off about that but a boy who just left school and was only 17 years old
was offered a paid job with poundland even though he had no experience and never worked before.
When i used to hand my cv's into shops at customer service they never called back so i could only get any retail or other jobs through the job centre because they were working with employers.
So if you left college or school just sign on at the job centre because they do give people so much help like free training, free cv courses to improve your cv and job fairs in the job centre where employers attend and you apply for jobs , free courses to learn how to use a computer, training on how to be confident in interviews, free clothes to go for interviews and if you are offered a job you get free train pass for one month

Look for voluntary work in an office/admin, reception and in retail. The theatre is classed as retail because your checking peoples tickets, selling tea/coffee and snacks and selling the merchandise so you have to do all 3 things on different days so if anyone has no work experience on their cv's they should do 2 voluntary jobs in an office environment and in retail type where they are using a cash machine because then you have transferrable skills to apply for paid jobs in both those fields.

Go to your local library and ask the staff if you can join their free cv course because all libraries should do that. You can even ask to do voluntary work there or ask them to help you find voluntary or paid jobs.

Type voluntary work on google and a list of companies will come up. When you do voluntary work the company gives you back your travel fares and your lunch money back but you have to keep the receipts for travel and lunch receipts from shops then they give you the money back the same day.

If you still cant get a job very soon just do voluntary work or do voluntary with 2 different companies so you have 2 references but only do it for 3 hours because companies are taking the piss now by expecting people to work for free for up to 6 hours or more which is out of order. Some companies want people to work 9- 5
So just pretend you can only do 3 hours a day. You dont have to work every day only 1, 2 or 3 days a week. You dont have to work every day so its not too bad or look for a fun voluntary job like working in a theatre. I loved doing that as it wasnt like proper work, it was just pure fun.

Here's a really good tip for anyone who is still in college, uni, already has a job they hate and are desperate to leave or about to leave school soon just ring your local Job centre ask the date of when they will have a job fair but pretend you are signing on at that job centre they will never know its not true. Everyone has a national insurance number so memorize it or write it down. If you go to a job centre for a job fair they ask for your N I number so its fine to give it to them they cant check its not true. If they ask your advisors name just make something up or ask another unemployed person who comes outside the door thename of their advisor but you dont need to know their surname as no one knows that so its easy to just lie and make up a name like John or Sylvia. If they ask what floor their on just say
1st or 2nd floor. When i had a retail job i hated i still went to the job centre to find jobs or attend job fairs even though your not allowed to if you akready have a job but i just pretended i wasnt working because if your honest they wont even let you in the door.
So there is a job fair every 2 or 3 months in job centres or outside of the job centre in a different building so its good to ring the job centre every 2 weeks or every month to ask them the date of any job fairs. Or ask security in job centres as they are helpful and have told me about job fairs and paid jobs or any new shops opening

Sometimes you can make friends with other unemployed people and you just ask for their phone number and email address.
Most unemployed people who are signing on at job centres dont really want to work because they are older and they have had lots of jobs before and dont want to do retail jobs anymore but for young people it is more exciting to try to get jobs

If you ring the job centre and they ask for your phone number and say they will get your advisor to call you back then dont give it to them just say you were only ringing to find out about the date of job fairs. I think libraries sometimes advertise when job fairs are on or hold them in libraries sometimes and f you ring the council or go into their building to ask they advertise job fairs and offer training to get paid jobs within the council so go into your local council to ask about paid jobs and voluntary work. Sometimes they have leaflets and booklets or leaflets on the wall about jobs. You can even ask the council about making a new cv and they have their own agency to help anyone find jobs even if they are still students
The council job agency is called Haringey Guarantee. Look up their bame on google and ring them for your own local council job agency in your area because they have contacts with employers and can get you jobs quickly. I used to go to them and they got me a job in mcdonalds because they had connections with many different employers and i was always rejected by mcdonalds when i applied myself online but i only got it through the council job agency so anyone who wants a job should join their local council job agency or contact Haringey Guarantee to ask for one in your area

This is the number of Haringey Guarantee
0208 489 2852
Email: [email protected]

She is the manager of the employment and skills team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending