The Student Room Group

Need help with choosing a uni

I have the opportunity to study Computer Science and Mathematics at either Southampton University or University of Leeds.

I know that both of them are non-targets but they are still top notch universities, especially in my discipline. So which one of them would give me a higher chance in getting an investment banking job. I am NOT aiming at any of the Bulge Bracket banks, I'm rather hoping to at least get an internship at one of the smaller investment firms/boutique banks and then convert it to a full-time job.

Thanks and let me know if you need any more details.
Original post by Christian95
I have the opportunity to study Computer Science and Mathematics at either Southampton University or University of Leeds.

I know that both of them are non-targets but they are still top notch universities, especially in my discipline. So which one of them would give me a higher chance in getting an investment banking job. I am NOT aiming at any of the Bulge Bracket banks, I'm rather hoping to at least get an internship at one of the smaller investment firms/boutique banks and then convert it to a full-time job.

After the target unis it doesn't really matter which university you attend, so base your option on which uni you like more, which course do you like more. However, Southampton is better at CS so perhaps go there.
Reply 2
Original post by life.of.pablo
After the target unis it doesn't really matter which university you attend, so base your option on which uni you like more, which course do you like more. However, Southampton is better at CS so perhaps go there.

Southampton has a better business school (good MBA program) and is targeted by IBs according to LinkedIn while Leeds has a good investment society which is sponsored/partnered by Rotschil, Citi, etc.

It does actually. There are definitely grades of semi-target universities and their representation differs too.

I.e. Durham/Notts/Bristol is more common than KCL/Manchester/Exeter/Edinburgh etc..

I do agree that any uni decision should be weighted more towards personal preference.

However to answer OP's question, I'd say Soton has the better CompSci reputation and the better rep with tech companies (i.e. Google, Microsoft etc) over Leeds. Despite both being non-targets, they still have a decent amount of alumni in FO roles within the city - Leeds slightly more so in the Sales part of S&T and especially at Citi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton has a better business school (good MBA program) and is targeted by IBs according to LinkedIn while Leeds has a good investment society which is sponsored/partnered by Rotschil, Citi, etc.

I wouldn't class their MBA programme as top notch.. And it's irrelevant to you as an undergrad as any MBA will be 3-5+ years down the line after work experience post graduation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am NOT aiming at any of the Bulge Bracket banks, I'm rather hoping to at least get an internship at one of the smaller investment firms/boutique banks and then convert it to a full-time job.

The elite boutiques can be much harder to get into than the BBs, given the fewer amount of spaces available.

Imo, you shouldn't limit yourself to any type of bank, just apply as wide as possible with a clear focus of what division you want to go into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most non elite boutiques don't accept interns and those that do usually accept so little interns that you'd have a higher chance getting one at a BB. Obviously still worth applying to them all as well as BBs to increase your chances of getting something.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
It does actually. There are definitely grades of semi-target universities and their representation differs too.

I.e. Durham/Notts/Bristol is more common than KCL/Manchester/Exeter/Edinburgh etc..

I do agree that any uni decision should be weighted more towards personal preference.

However to answer OP's question, I'd say Soton has the better CompSci reputation and the better rep with tech companies (i.e. Google, Microsoft etc) over Leeds. Despite both being non-targets, they still have a decent amount of alumni in FO roles within the city - Leeds slightly more so in the Sales part of S&T and especially at Citi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was crawling over Linkedin profiles for leeds econ students, and so many of them work at Citi.. Can approve
Original post by glebp
I was crawling over Linkedin profiles for leeds econ students, and so many of them work at Citi.. Can approve

Yeah man there's tonnes. One of my mates at Leeds actually ended up partying with a few new grad Citi equity sales guys a couple nights back when they came up to do a career talk lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah man there's tonnes. One of my mates at Leeds actually ended up partying with a few new grad Citi equity sales guys a couple nights back when they came up to do a career talk lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does Citi visit Leeds consistently to explain this?
Original post by glebp
Does Citi visit Leeds consistently to explain this?

Yep, they also sponsor the trading and investment soc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I do agree that any uni decision should be weighted more towards personal preference."

That's the thing - I equally like both uni's, and I'm interested in hearing from people who are currently working in the City and could shed some light on this topic (please no one-word answers).

I know that Citi recruit from Leeds but a lot of the people that go into internships/jobs are not in FO roles. On the other hand Soton has a better overall placement at least according to Linkedin. Some friends of mine are currently in their final years at Soton doing Economics/CS and two of them got into Rotschild while the guy studying CS managed to get a full-time job at XR Trading - the two companies I'm really hoping to get into.
"I do agree that any uni decision should be weighted more towards personal preference."

That's the thing - I equally like both uni's, and I'm interested in hearing from people who are currently working in the City and could shed some light on this topic (please no one-word answers).

I know that Citi recruit from Leeds but a lot of the people that go into internships/jobs are not in FO roles. On the other hand Soton has a better overall placement at least according to Linkedin. Some friends of mine are currently in their final years at Soton doing Economics/CS and two of them got into Rotschild while the guy studying CS managed to get a full-time job at XR Trading - the two companies I'm really hoping to get into.

Sounds like you've made your mind up. Why are you interested in both prop trading and IBD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like you've made your mind up. Why are you interested in both prop trading and IBD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet. My ultimate goal is to get into IB but from what I hear it's a field that is incredibly hard to break into, especially in Europe. XR Trading is looking for people with my educational background and it's sort of my backup plan - if I can't manage to get into IB then I wouldn't like to let my skills go to waste.

I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Not yet. My ultimate goal is to get into IB but from what I hear it's a field that is incredibly hard to break into, especially in Europe. XR Trading is looking for people with my educational background and it's sort of my backup plan - if I can't manage to get into IB then I wouldn't like to let my skills go to waste.

I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

I'd say prop firms are more difficult overall to break into with their recruitment process and how few people they take on

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say prop firms are more difficult overall to break into with their recruitment process and how few people they take on

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the recruitment process for prop trading and also are there target unis for prop trading and which specific degrees would be essential/useful?
What is the recruitment process for prop trading and also are there target unis for prop trading and which specific degrees would be essential/useful?

Generally lots of mental maths, probability questions, sometimes written tests, coding tests, logic puzzles etc. Several rounds of the above

Maths/Stats/CS/Physics/Engineering

Top unis for the above degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply