The Student Room Group

How do I fund a foundation art year?

I was looking into studying an art foundation year this September - not sure where yet but likely in a different city to where i live

im 19 now and will be 20 at the end of september

foundation years are free for under 19s so will i have to pay for the tuition fees?

also will i get any money to live on and if not, how do i afford to live somewhere?
Original post by Elfqueen1
I was looking into studying an art foundation year this September - not sure where yet but likely in a different city to where i live

im 19 now and will be 20 at the end of september

foundation years are free for under 19s so will i have to pay for the tuition fees?

also will i get any money to live on and if not, how do i afford to live somewhere?

Yes, you will have to pay because you are not under 19. No, you won't get any student loan, which is why most people stay at home and do it at their local college.
If it's an integrated foundation year you can get funding from student finance
If you're in ft education (not university level), under 20 and live away from your parents then you're eligible to claim income support (and may be eligible for housing benefit).

If you're too old for free tuition then you can get an advanced learner loan to cover tuition fees.

Some universities and colleges that offer the art and design foundation diploma will have bursaries and funds for foundation diploma students who have financial needs.
Original post by PQ
If you're in ft education (not university level), under 20 and live away from your parents then you're eligible to claim income support (and may be eligible for housing benefit).

If you're too old for free tuition then you can get an advanced learner loan to cover tuition fees.

Some universities and colleges that offer the art and design foundation diploma will have bursaries and funds for foundation diploma students who have financial needs.

PRSOM
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
PRSOM

It's a shame there's not more support - the idea that anyone wanting or needing to study at level 2 or 3 after 19 can somehow afford to live with no income is ridiculously shortsighted. A workforce of people stuck in the careers /sectors they aimed for at age 14...

Add in that for art and design the current government are doing all they can to remove creative arts from the national curriculum and there's a growing number of people who have talent and desire to train for the creative industries but with no opportunity to get to the level needed to start a degree :frown:
[QUOTE=Elfqueen1;65907754

What the hell? If I had known that I woulda done a foundation degree from the start! Why didn't anyone tell me :frown:
Original post by PQ
It's a shame there's not more support - the idea that anyone wanting or needing to study at level 2 or 3 after 19 can somehow afford to live with no income is ridiculously shortsighted. A workforce of people stuck in the careers /sectors they aimed for at age 14...

Add in that for art and design the current government are doing all they can to remove creative arts from the national curriculum and there's a growing number of people who have talent and desire to train for the creative industries but with no opportunity to get to the level needed to start a degree :frown:

Couldn't agree more. My son was lucky in a) having decided early enough that he wanted to do this, b) being in a city where the university does an excellent foundation course and c) having parents willing and able to support him while he did it. Not everyone is so lucky, and he at least knows it.

Quick Reply

Latest