The Student Room Group

Egypt just sentenced two former Al Jazeera employees to death

http://qz.com/710914/egypt-just-sentenced-two-former-al-jazeera-employees-to-death/

An Egyptian court sentenced six people to death on Saturday (June 18), including two employees of the Al Jazeera network. According to the Associated Press, the two are charged with passing sensitive documents regarding Egyptian national security to Qatar during the tenure of former president Mohamed Morsi.

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), Egypt remains one of the worst places in the world to be a journalist—only China imprisons more. The CPJ reports that there were 199 known journalists imprisoned around the world in 2015.

They're charged being charged "with passing sensitive documents regarding Egyptian national security to Qatar" - This is according to Egypt, since they work for Al Jazeera, which is owned by Qatar, I presume they were not spies but just journalists doing their jobs. I believe they just published the information - I could be wrong though.
Pretty big loss, in terms of freedom of press in Egypt, it's quite sad.
Reply 1
Original post by 34908seikj
http://qz.com/710914/egypt-just-sentenced-two-former-al-jazeera-employees-to-death/

An Egyptian court sentenced six people to death on Saturday (June 18), including two employees of the Al Jazeera network. According to the Associated Press, the two are charged with passing sensitive documents regarding Egyptian national security to Qatar during the tenure of former president Mohamed Morsi.

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), Egypt remains one of the worst places in the world to be a journalist—only China imprisons more. The CPJ reports that there were 199 known journalists imprisoned around the world in 2015.

They're charged being charged "with passing sensitive documents regarding Egyptian national security to Qatar" - This is according to Egypt, since they work for Al Jazeera, which is owned by Qatar, I presume they were not spies but just journalists doing their jobs. I believe they just published the information - I could be wrong though.
Pretty big loss, in terms of freedom of press in Egypt, it's quite sad.

Freedom of press died since the coup. Egyptians gave up freedom of press (and pretty much all freedom) to get rid of the religious fanatics they voted into power, makes me genuinely sick this.
Reply 2
Original post by oShahpo
Freedom of press died since the coup. Egyptians gave up freedom of press (and pretty much all freedom) to get rid of the religious fanatics they voted into power, makes me genuinely sick this.

I'm surprised by the lack of media coverage on this tbh, given the significance of this topic, imo.
Reply 3
Funny how muslim countries have the lowest Freedom of the press index rating, yet scream that their peaceful religion is all about tolerance and unity.

https://rsf.org/en/ranking
Egypt in my opinion is probably worse off than during the Mubarak era

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending