The Student Room Group

School awards evening

My school's awards evening is coming up in about two weeks and I'm not sure what to wear. I was planning on buying something new, but I don't know how formal it will be so can't decide on what to get, and whether it requires say a dress and heels or jeans and a nice top. Does anyone have any experiences from awards evenings of their own and what you wore? My school didn't specify how formal it was, we were just told it was up to us to decide how formal we thought we should dress, and I don't want to turn up too overdressed or underdressed. Any advice?
Reply 1
People literally don't care what they wear to an awards evening.

As an *ahem* 7 year-straight-winner I have worn everything you could imagine.

I pulled of manga-looking hair, a man bun, short hair, bed hair.

I dressed smart, I wore my then-school uniform, I wore casual clothes, I dressed like I was on the cat-walk once.

Just wear something plain and simple if you're still unsure. A plain dress will do just fine :smile:
Original post by Results
People literally don't care what they wear to an awards evening.

As an *ahem* 7 year-straight-winner I have worn everything you could imagine.

I pulled of manga-looking hair, a man bun, short hair, bed hair.

I dressed smart, I wore my then-school uniform, I wore casual clothes, I dressed like I was on the cat-walk once.

Just wear something plain and simple if you're still unsure. A plain dress will do just fine :smile:

Thankyou! My school only does awards evenings for year 11 and 13, so I've never been to one before, previous years they just handed the awards out in assembly.
I'll definitely wear a dress thank you, but do you think I should wear heels with it or flats? I know heels will look nicer but they'll also make it more formal?
Reply 3
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Thankyou! My school only does awards evenings for year 11 and 13, so I've never been to one before, previous years they just handed the awards out in assembly.
I'll definitely wear a dress thank you, but do you think I should wear heels with it or flats? I know heels will look nicer but they'll also make it more formal?

Definitely go for heels.

If others are not wearing them, f*ck them, not literally of course.

I'm sure you'll look amazing :biggrin:
Original post by Results
Definitely go for heels.

If others are not wearing them, f*ck them, not literally of course.

I'm sure you'll look amazing :biggrin:

Haha, thank you:smile: I will wear heels, although I'm extremely clumsy and will probably fall on my face if I wear anything too high so I might stick to low heels :laugh:
Reply 5
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Haha, thank you:smile: I will wear heels, although I'm extremely clumsy and will probably fall on my face if I wear anything too high so I might stick to low heels :laugh:

Don't be like me in year 10 - When I took my certificate and trophy, walked past 5 handshakes and walked ALLLL the way round the hall to sit down.

:biggrin: ALL THE BEST
Original post by Results
Don't be like me in year 10 - When I took my certificate and trophy, walked past 5 handshakes and walked ALLLL the way round the hall to sit down.

:biggrin: ALL THE BEST

Oh haha I'll try not to. Thank you:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest