The Student Room Group

Modern foreign native language A-level for medicine

Im looking for some advice on something that I'm currently undergoing. First of all I'm interested in persuing a career in medicine and I just underwent my AS level exams in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish as well as volunteering in a care home for almost the entirety of year 12. Spanish is my first language and I've only lived in the UK for 4 years. I mainly took Spanish A-level to ensure that i maintain my language and don't forget it as I don't have much contact with the Spanish language particularly the writing aspect. The problem is that for the next academic year (year 13) my parents and I have had to move to a city very far away and as a result I am changing school. The school closest by to our new house only has Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at A-level(they're all from different exam boards but are accordingly very similar except for the psychology one which is completely different). This means that I would have to drop psychology if I were to join the school, consequently the third A-level subject in my uni applications would have to be my mother tongue. How much might this reduce my chances of getting into a medical school? There is a sixth form that does do psychology in the "area" but it is more than 40 minutes away on the bus while the other is at walking distance. Any ideas would be helpful as I'm currently really stressed over this and the UKCAT and seem to be unable to make coherent decisions on the subject.
Original post by marcobruni98
Im looking for some advice on something that I'm currently undergoing. First of all I'm interested in persuing a career in medicine and I just underwent my AS level exams in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish as well as volunteering in a care home for almost the entirety of year 12. Spanish is my first language and I've only lived in the UK for 4 years. I mainly took Spanish A-level to ensure that i maintain my language and don't forget it as I don't have much contact with the Spanish language particularly the writing aspect. The problem is that for the next academic year (year 13) my parents and I have had to move to a city very far away and as a result I am changing school. The school closest by to our new house only has Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at A-level(they're all from different exam boards but are accordingly very similar except for the psychology one which is completely different). This means that I would have to drop psychology if I were to join the school, consequently the third A-level subject in my uni applications would have to be my mother tongue. How much might this reduce my chances of getting into a medical school? There is a sixth form that does do psychology in the "area" but it is more than 40 minutes away on the bus while the other is at walking distance. Any ideas would be helpful as I'm currently really stressed over this and the UKCAT and seem to be unable to make coherent decisions on the subject.

from my knowledge on this issue I am pretty sure that most medical schools will not accept an Alevel in your 1st language as part of the standard AAA offer, You have to agree it is a bit of a cop out considering its your native language.

My best advice is get in touch with universities and ask, but Im sure they are unlikely to accept it.

Just for perspective I went to a sixth form over 40 minutes away from my house (2 bus rides) and it was fine, my personal advice would be if your serious about medicine to persue the 6th form that does psychology.

if you need any more help feel free to ask.
Original post by Natalierm2707
from my knowledge on this issue I am pretty sure that most medical schools will not accept an Alevel in your 1st language as part of the standard AAA offer, You have to agree it is a bit of a cop out considering its your native language.

My best advice is get in touch with universities and ask, but Im sure they are unlikely to accept it.

Just for perspective I went to a sixth form over 40 minutes away from my house (2 bus rides) and it was fine, my personal advice would be if your serious about medicine to persue the 6th form that does psychology.

Thank you for your reply. This is going to be quite hard as I am already starting in the new school on Monday. I'm unsure if I can change schools to the one that does Psychology after missing the entirety of the month of July but I'll see what I can do if maybe I can catch up in the summer in some way. Thanks again!
I find it quite annoying that I was unable to qualify for extra time for my GCSEs as most people who have English as their second language do because apparently my English grades were too high(As and A*s) but then I can't do Spanish at A level because I'm a native speaker. :s-smilie:
Original post by Natalierm2707

I have decided to take physics at AS in my new school alongside my other subjects :smile: At least this way they will know I won't be wasting my time. So at the end I will have 2AS levels (in psychology and physics) and 3 A-levels (in biology chemistry and Spanish) if it is still not appropriate for medicine I think it will open more doors for other science degrees. I also really wanted to do physics during year 12.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending