The Student Room Group

Bottled AS

I definitely bottled my as exams so I'm expecting bad as results but I want to go to Manchester University and study Software engineering. Can anyone tell me how strict/lenient with as grades/predicted grades as obviously mine aren't going to be up in the A*s/As. My GCSE results show the real me and next year I plan on getting at least 3 As so will they consider me if i let them know it was just a bottle job :/
Reply 1
Don't make any decisions until results day. You're grades could come out better than expected. :smile:

You should be fine though. Many universities take into account your GCSEs just as much as your AS grades when you apply with UCAS, so should probably be fine. Just make sure to do the retakes you need and go hardcore next year!
Original post by Qonnor
Don't make any decisions until results day. You're grades could come out better than expected. :smile:

You should be fine though. Many universities take into account your GCSEs just as much as your AS grades when you apply with UCAS, so should probably be fine. Just make sure to do the retakes you need and go hardcore next year!

I hope they do come out better than expected, but its a slim chance since i messed up on c1 and s1 yet think i got an A on c2 ://///. What decisions do you mean?
Reply 3
Yo listen. If u do poorly u can easy get offers as long as ur teachers predic u good grades. Simply as that. Convince ur teachers u will work harder. Nothing to panic about
Original post by Berke0
Yo listen. If u do poorly u can easy get offers as long as ur teachers predic u good grades. Simply as that. Convince ur teachers u will work harder. Nothing to panic about

The problem is, the majority of my teachers are either useless or leaving :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by not_lucas1
I hope they do come out better than expected, but its a slim chance since i messed up on c1 and s1 yet think i got an A on c2 ://///. What decisions do you mean?

See? You could be pleasantly surprised. And I just mean don't go making any major life decisions until you see the grades you have in front of you, that's all. Once the exams are over, best thing is just to completely forget about them and enjoy the summer.
Reply 6
I'm sure you've done fine, but dont dwell on it, if theyre that bad you can resit! If worst comes to worst you'll have to do a foundation year before starting the degree course!

It'll all work out :smile:
Hey :smile:
I'm really sorry to hear you think they went badly, it really sucks when you don't feel like you've done your best. Don't dwell on it this summer- instead, focus as much as you can on getting ready to apply for uni (honestly idk all that much about software engineering, but do further reading, practise, whatever the heck it is you need to do) so that even if your exam results aren't great, you'll have a killer personal statement to make up for it and you'll absolutely smash any interviews you get invited to.
Don't dismiss your dreams until results day. Very few people think their exams go well. The worst thing you can do is spend all summer worrying about them because then you'll go back in September already stressed. Who knows, you might be (and I really hope you are) pleasantly surprised! :biggrin: Don't worry about what may or may not be, focus on what you can do now to ensure that you get the best chance possible at getting to Manchester!!

(btw, there's always resits, and many many universities are quite lenient with predicted grades. It will be fine.)
Reply 8
I definitely bottled my as exams so I'm expecting bad as results but I want to go to Manchester University and study Software engineering. Can anyone tell me how strict/lenient with as grades/predicted grades as obviously mine aren't going to be up in the A*s/As. My GCSE results show the real me and next year I plan on getting at least 3 As so will they consider me if i let them know it was just a bottle job :/

Dont sweat it too much man, you dont know until results day. Last year a few of my friends who like you have been preforming really well up to the AS, messed it up. There were two options which they took: 1) They didnt apply to uni in yr 13 instead chose to resit the AS exams they messed up on and boss the A2 exams giving them great results and applying to any uni they want during their gap year; or 2) Focus on writing the best application you can and speaking to your teachers about it. If you have been doing as well as you said you are there is no doubt they will write in their reference how good of a student you are, and how your AS results dont reflect your potential.

If you really want to get into that course, apply for it whatever ur AS grade and if u dont get in just take a gap year and reapply for it.
Reply 9

What A levels are you doing?
Original post by iHammmy
What A levels are you doing?

maths, physics, computer science and psychology

Quick Reply

Latest