The Student Room Group

Self Teaching Further Maths

I've done AS Maths and did m1. I failed my 3rd AS in sociology and chose to drop it and start a 2 year physics course. Going to start further maths next year as well as physics but my college is underfunded and won't make a further maths class but will put me in for the exams I choose, so I need to self teach.

I was wondering on how long it would take to learn the FP1 module to >90UMS standard if I did 2-3hrs a day?
Original post by Shipreck
I've done AS Maths and did m1. I failed my 3rd AS in sociology and chose to drop it and start a 2 year physics course. Going to start further maths next year as well as physics but my college is underfunded and won't make a further maths class but will put me in for the exams I choose, so I need to self teach.

I was wondering on how long it would take to learn the FP1 module to >90UMS standard if I did 2-3hrs a day?

3 weeks?
Reply 2
Original post by ODES_PDES
3 weeks?

Wow. What's the point of even having teachers if it's that fast? :0

Also, would you say thats the same for m2 and m3?

I did these modules too.
I would allow bit more time for these particularly for M3

It's all relative to the person but then again if it's 3 weeks maybe i can teach myself 6 whole modules lol

I've self taught a few modules this year and will do so again next year.

It is VERY different for different people so be realistic with yourself. But there are many websites and YouTube is a huge help whenever you get stuck.

For me personally FP1 took 10 hours over 3 days. M2 took 14 hours over 3 days.

I broke it up into chapters so about 1 hour per chapter to learn the content and then 1-2 hours to do about 10 past exam questions on that chapter in timed conditions. Started off difficult but helped an awful lot as opposed to doing textbook questions.

No idea about m3 but I'm sure it will definitely be longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Themathgeek
I've self taught a few modules this year and will do so again next year.

It is VERY different for different people so be realistic with yourself. But there are many websites and YouTube is a huge help whenever you get stuck.

For me personally FP1 took 10 hours over 3 days. M2 took 14 hours over 3 days.

I broke it up into chapters so about 1 hour per chapter to learn the content and then 1-2 hours to do about 10 past exam questions on that chapter in timed conditions. Started off difficult but helped an awful lot as opposed to doing textbook questions.

No idea about m3 but I'm sure it will definitely be longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have an example of how you broke fp1 into chapters? Did you just follow the real textbook?
Do you have an example of how you broke fp1 into chapters? Did you just follow the real textbook?

Yupp, used the textbook to learn the stuff, then used exam solution vids for anything I wasn't sure about, then questions by topic via the maths physics tutor website :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I did the whole of Further Maths in 2 months. It was tough, so you can easily manage. FP1 is easy as hell. Plus exam solutions is basically a teacher cos he shows you how to do stuff.

Here's the thing about FP1, it looks insanely difficult but when it clicks it suddenly become, in my opinion, one of the easiest and most fun maths modules ever.

When I was revising for FP1 this year I thought I was screwed, because I hadn't understood anything that had been taught in lessons, and all the past papers I had done I was getting low Us etc.

Then about a week before the exam I really started heavy hitting it, and over a period of 3 days it just clicked, from essentially understanding none of it. And I went from 40 UMS to about 95+ UMS in 3 days.

So I hope this has answered your question. Also I don't know what exam board you are doing, but even if it isn't OCR MEI (which is by far the hardest) I would recommend you get this revision guide: MEI REVISE FP1 for MEI structured mathematics (Hodder Education) the ISBN number is: 978-0-340-95738-7.

Just type that into amazon or wherever. This book is much better than any of the textbooks. If I were you, I'd get this book, make some notes and do past papers. Thats all you need to do, and you'll have an A in no time. Also would strongly advise getting a graphical calculator which, although pricey, are life savers for the questions where you have to draw exotic looking graphs.

Hope this helped and good luck!
Original post by Shapez
I did the whole of Further Maths in 2 months. It was tough, so you can easily manage. FP1 is easy as hell. Plus exam solutions is basically a teacher cos he shows you how to do stuff.

AS or A2 of the full a level further maths?

Which modules?

Thats crazy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Themathgeek
AS or A2 of the full a level further maths?

Which modules?

Thats crazy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Full FM lol. In Easter holidays of A2 year I found out you needed FM for oxford. So I did that got A and still got rejected :clap2:
Reply 12
Original post by Shapez

If you can do that then it should be pretty simple for fp1. Thanks!
Reply 13
If you can do that then it should be pretty simple for fp1. Thanks!

Also, what exam board are you doing? Edexcel is easier than AQA imo, because the questions are straight from the book and are repititive in most of the years but AQA will through unexpected questions at you every year which might make it harder.
Reply 14
Original post by Shapez
Also, what exam board are you doing? Edexcel is easier than AQA imo, because the questions are straight from the book and are repititive in most of the years but AQA will through unexpected questions at you every year which might make it harder.

I was going to do MEI, like my other exams are.
If you're competent I reckon you could do FP1 in a month, and since you do Physics, M2 could also be done at the same time (although maybe longer, this is providing you do past papers too). You then need a third module, which I recommend Stats or decision modules.
Reply 16
Original post by Xphoenix
If you're competent I reckon you could do FP1 in a month, and since you do Physics, M2 could also be done at the same time (although maybe longer, this is providing you do past papers too). You then need a third module, which I recommend Stats or decision modules.

I was going to do fp1, m2 and m3 and do m2 before I start at college again. Is m3 a lot harder than m2?
I was going to do fp1, m2 and m3 and do m2 before I start at college again. Is m3 a lot harder than m2?

Are you self teaching the AS or going to the full A level? As you'll need another 3 modules for the A level that's why.
Reply 18
Original post by Xphoenix
Are you self teaching the AS or going to the full A level? As you'll need another 3 modules for the A level that's why.

I'm doing both but I thought you meant next year. Sorry.
I think I will do fp2, fp3 and m4 in A2 further.

Quick Reply

Latest