The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

@ChilliLemon Q5 said write in terms d g theta I didn't do moments therefore never got d But my R and P was still correct how many marks lost??
For question 6, after saying t = lambda/3, instead of putting s= -lambda, I put s = lambda in suvat because of which I got lambda = 30/49 instead of 30/7, how many marks would I lose for that, and would there be error carried forward in part b of the question as I got the right answer for the speed and direction according to my value of lambda not the correct value, as I found the wrong value of lambda ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have a clean copy of the M2 paper from yesterday?
Original post by cslady
below the horizontal is the correct answer

oops meant below the horizontal, wrote horizontal in exam (i hope)
Original post by Squishy•

No 2 for the correct integration M1A1M0A0A0
Original post by Hineshtailor
oops meant below the horizontal, wrote horizontal in exam (i hope)

I hope so too
was the centre of mass meant to be from a certain point as i done it from O?
Just to be sure, there's no way an A will be 56/75 right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DesignPredator
No 2 for the correct integration M1A1M0A0A0

I was only messing why are u being mean
Reply 769
Original post by Craig1998
I'll lose all the accuracy marks, I know that (I was just thinking I need to get some more method marks when I rushed to get that part done).

Tbh I did it last year in M1 with the lift question, couldn't do part a but I had a method for part b (they were both only 4 marks I think), so I could get 1-2 extra marks in part b using a random answer for part a.

Oh yeah sorry, i was thinking about physics. I would say you'd probably lose 2 marks for part (b) in my opinion, how did you find the rest of the paper if you don't mind me asking?
can someone estimate the marks dropped on the CoM question (q4) for doing the moments wrong, I had the table set up all right with correct values but messed up the part where you actually find the y coordinate (my mistake was a signage error, basically added where I should've subtracted) and then obviously followed that through to the find that angle section, the total question was out of 9 so I was maybe thinking -3/4/5 marks? what do you guys thing?
Guys? I need some closure here... 56/75 ... No chance for an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Guys? I need some closure here... 56/75 ... No chance for an A?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Possible but very, very, very unlikely. I'd say the lowest it could be is 58.
Original post by solid222
@Mattematics Q5 said write in terms d g theta I didn't do moments therefore never got d But my R and P was still correct how many marks lost??

Not sure bud, I'd say you might get 1 or 2 for resolving.
Original post by CD1998
Oh yeah sorry, i was thinking about physics. I would say you'd probably lose 2 marks for part (b) in my opinion, how did you find the rest of the paper if you don't mind me asking?

Pretty bad but mechanics is my weak point (I absolutely hate it, would rather do a harder pure maths module as I'd probably understand it better). Along with 6, question 7 I screwed up bad and part b of 1 an 2 I messed up. The rest I answered correctly I think. Probably a c grade. I'm not too bothered though, I've done the maths and if I got 90 UMS in FP2, I only need 60 UMS average in M2 and FP3 to get an A and I can do FP3 really well, been getting mid 90s in some papers, I might even get an A*.

Straight after the exam, the only question I was 100% happy with was that one for 3 with finding c.
For 6b, the angle question where the answer was 73 degrees or something, what quadrant was that angle in, like what direction? I did the direction as a bearing so did 90+ 73.3 which I'm guessing is wrong? How many marks would I get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themathgeek
For 6b, the angle question where the answer was 73 degrees or something, what quadrant was that angle in, like what direction? I did the direction as a bearing so did 90+ 73.3 which I'm guessing is wrong? How many marks would I get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im sure that will be correct if you said its a bearing, if not 1 mark lost.
Original post by zandneger
I was taught to be as exact as possible unless the question asked differently. So fractions/surds>4sf>3sf>2sf etc

I dont see how an answer can be simply marked wrong, even if correct, based on the fact that you haven't rounded it when the question hasn't asked you to. Nowhere does it suggest you should be rounding to the same as the numbers you put into the formulas to calculate your answers.

I take it you didn't read the front of the paper then?
Reply 778
Original post by zandneger
I was taught to be as exact as possible unless the question asked differently. So fractions/surds>4sf>3sf>2sf etc

I dont see how an answer can be simply marked wrong, even if correct, based on the fact that you haven't rounded it when the question hasn't asked you to. Nowhere does it suggest you should be rounding to the same as the numbers you put into the formulas to calculate your answers.

Its fine to be as exact as possible apart from where you sue g=9.8. As your using a rounded value, you can not give an exact answer as that would mean your exact answer is more accurate than your working which isn't possible. I suppose it helps if you do physics.

And looking at past paper mark schemes, some answer can be given as just wrong in these types of questions. You'll get method marks but not the answer marks.
Original post by Hineshtailor
im sure that will be correct if you said its a bearing, if not 1 mark lost.

Oh awesome thanks

Also was it meant to be going downwards (south east wards) if that makes any sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending