The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Maths Core 1 over the summer... (just finished GCSEs)

I've started studying this module in advance for my Maths A-level course in Year 12. In Year 12, how long do you study Pure Core 1, 2 etc.?

I know doing Maths over the summer will be a huge boost when I go back.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie Vardy
I've started studying this module in advance for my Maths A-level course in Year 12. In Year 12, how long do you study Pure Core 1, 2 etc.?

Tbh its not needed since you can just work really hard at the start, but i dont see the harm.

Make sure you are good with fractions,surds,factoraising,indicies
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
Tbh its not needed since you can just work really hard at the start, but i dont see the harm.

Make sure you are good with fractions,surds,factoraising,powers

I've done some surds today and revising completing the square with really awkward expressions. Please can you or someone else list all of the topics that I am required to learn?
I've done some surds today and revising completing the square with really awkward expressions. Please can you or someone else list all of the topics that I am required to learn?

Go on exam.soloutions website
In my class we only really took 2 weeks to cover C1 as most of it is gcse - core 2 was not much longer probably only a month or so... Bearing in mind in my class we were doing the whole a level in a year
The CGP revisin guide is quite good as it summarises what you need to know and then just do a few practice questions from the textbook :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SuperHuman98
Go on exam.soloutions website

The layout is pretty confusing; one minute I'm studying Edexcel topics and then AQA? Maths can't differ too much between the two boards, surely?
Bro how do you have the motivation...I don't think I could work now if I got payed lol. R u doing single or double maths, I'm doing double, idk if that was the right choice tho. Any advice from anyone who's done it would be much appreciated
The layout is pretty confusing; one minute I'm studying Edexcel topics and then AQA? Maths can't differ too much between the two boards, surely?

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C1/module.php

Here all edexcel :smile:
Reply 8

Thanks! If the Sixth Form I go to in September offers Maths with AQA, will I be affected at all?
Reply 9

If you have to do something

Brush up on:
- factorising (you need to factorise ax^2+bx+c expressions VERY quickly)
- graph transformations
- quadratic simultaneous equations
- completing the square

Introduce yourself to:
- differentiation
- integration
- coordinate geometry

Avoid:
- discriminant
- arithmetic sequences and series
(these aren't hard, but on your own it might be difficult to get your head around)
Reply 10
Fair does! It depends on how good you are at maths but if you've started now and are fully dedicated you'll have definitely covered C1 by the end of summer and at least half, if not all of C2. The Headstart books are meant to be quite good, but any solid maths textbook will do. Use Albris or Abebooks to get them 2nd hand(but in decent condition) on the cheap! :smile:
Original post by jamestg
If you have to do something

Brush up on:
- factorising (you need to factorise ax^2+bx+c expressions VERY quickly)
- graph transformations
- quadratic simultaneous equations
- completing the square

Introduce yourself to:
- differentiation
- integration
- coordinate geometry

Avoid:
- discriminant
- arithmetic sequences and series
(these aren't hard, but on your own it might be difficult to get your head around)

Cheers mate, this is a really big help.
I'm sure you'll find C1 to be pretty simple, I wouldn't sweat about doing it over the summer. Spend your time doing further reading around your other subjects instead as those will take up a lot more of your time.
Original post by LukeHarrison
I'm sure you'll find C1 to be pretty simple, I wouldn't sweat about doing it over the summer. Spend your time doing further reading around your other subjects instead as those will take up a lot more of your time.

The thing is, I'm looking to do Further Maths too as I am really interested in Maths as a subject and want to broaden my knowledge and ability.
The thing is, I'm looking to do Further Maths too as I am really interested in Maths as a subject and want to broaden my knowledge and ability.

Yeah, I took Further maths too. Have you done further maths at GCSE? If so C1 is almost all covered by that course, the early parts anyway. What other subjects are you considering?
Vardy you should be partying?! Not studying, after that goal!
Yeah, I took Further maths too. Have you done further maths at GCSE? If so C1 is almost all covered by that course, the early parts anyway. What other subjects are you considering?

This is a real problem I've been worrying about: no, I haven't done Further Maths at GCSE. I have no idea whether I should take it.

My third subject would depend on the results I get, however, I do like the look of Economics.
This is a real problem I've been worrying about: no, I haven't done Further Maths at GCSE. I have no idea whether I should take it.

My third subject would depend on the results I get, however, I do like the look of Economics.

Nah - FM GCSE is a nice bonus if you have it but definitely not essential. The first few topics of C1 are really basic (surds, indices laws, trig), believe me, you'll have no problems with C1. Some more interesting, new maths topics crop up in C2 - if you really want to do something over summer I'd suggest getting a head start on logs as you (generally) don't come across these at GCSE, and certainly in my year this was the topic that separated the men from the boys. But yeah, teach yourself C1 but also have a look at C2 as it would be far more useful to you to get ahead on that unit (imo ofc).
Nah - FM GCSE is a nice bonus if you have it but definitely not essential. The first few topics of C1 are really basic (surds, indices laws, trig), believe me, you'll have no problems with C1. Some more interesting, new maths topics crop up in C2 - if you really want to do something over summer I'd suggest getting a head start on logs as you (generally) don't come across these at GCSE, and certainly in my year this was the topic that separated the men from the boys. But yeah, teach yourself C1 but also have a look at C2 as it would be far more useful to you to get ahead on that unit (imo ofc).

Thanks so much for your advice. Will only getting an A hinder my chances of doing Further Maths?
Thanks! If the Sixth Form I go to in September offers Maths with AQA, will I be affected at all?

Nah you will be fine

Quick Reply

Latest