The Student Room Group

Petition to cancel EU referendum surges in wake of MP killing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
Well.... I don't really know why I put high calibre in the first place. It was a rifle however, that's what I should have said. And it's no secret that a lot of mass shootings use rifles rather than pistols because they are far deadlier

For mass shootings, yes, they usually do use rifles, however, it is such rifles that are also used for hunting and have specific uses (whilst handguns tend to be mainly for self-defence).

I disagree, but lets say all rifles vanished tomorrow, it would make no difference, as the mass shooters would simply use a hand gun, or use an illegal rifle.
Original post by MildredMalone
5000 dollars? Why not use the English cost - £2900? Still, doesn't really disproe anything. The blood is still on the father's hands. They had no reason to leave Turkey.

Because I saw 5000 dollars on another site and I couldn't be bothered find the same source again.

Anyway, you say they had no reason. I say they did.

The only thing we know is that you are a liar.
I support leave. Yes, it is quite sad to see this happen to her but the referendum and campaigning should continue. The murderer had nothing to do with this political discussion so it shouldn't be used in anyway.

Oh and please stop saying that the Leave campaign is encouraging fascism, just shut up. Oh and another one is that Leave campaigners are anti-immigration, seriously? You have lefties who want to vote leave. Fed up of telling people off for coming up with these illogical assumptions.
Original post by The_Opinion
For mass shootings, yes, they usually do use rifles, however, it is such rifles that are also used for hunting and have specific uses (whilst handguns tend to be mainly for self-defence).

I disagree, but lets say all rifles vanished tomorrow, it would make no difference, as the mass shooters would simply use a hand gun, or use an illegal rifle.

Yes, but there is no denying this would help. Hand guns are far less dangerous and rifles would be harder to come by. Australia did a thing a while back where they essentially bought back a load of firearms from their owners, which plummeted the number of mass shootings dramatically. Proof that less guns means less mass shootings.
It's not gonna stop all mass shootings, but it should help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Miracle-
Your right, cancelling the referendum won't solve anything, but I think its scary to think that the brexit campaign is not only allowing this right-wing fascism to become acceptable, but encouraging it.

This statement fulfils the entirety of the definition of the word stupid.
Remainers right now:

"Oh no, we're behind in the polls... Look, look! A right-winger killed a pro-remain MP! He probably supported Brexit!!"
Original post by DorianGrayism
Anyway, you say they had no reason. I say they did.

And what reason do you think that was? Had they got bored their free housing where they had been for all of Aylan's life?
Original post by cbreef
Yes, but there is no denying this would help. Hand guns are far less dangerous and rifles would be harder to come by. Australia did a thing a while back where they essentially bought back a load of firearms from their owners, which plummeted the number of mass shootings dramatically. Proof that less guns means less mass shootings.
It's not gonna stop all mass shootings, but it should help.

You should not directly compare nations, filled with flaws. There are millions of rifles in the US, so the scale would be unprecedented.

Also, there is a country next door could Mexico, where all sorts of illegal weapons can be smuggled from (unless the Trump wall gets built, which would make it much harder).

There is also no proof that using a hand gun would result in less deaths.

Another issue you have not considered (and many of the left don't consider this, which is why leftists ideas have so many unintended consequences). is that the attacker could change the attack entirely, use a bomb instead, such a bomb could kill even more.

The attacker could use an automatic rifle (they are currently illegal), as if the attacker is willing to brake the law to do the attack, and is willing to buy an illegal weapon, he or she may as well buy a more powerful weapon, as the crime / punishment would be the same. The result of which would be even more dead.
A silly idea, it will just allow already hightening tensions to continue to reach boiling point.

We cannot allow public sensitivities to bring our entire political infrastructure to a stand-still due to the death of a single MP, no matter how henious. Imagine the damage that could happen if terrorists carried out a targeted/simultaneous attack on our democratic apparatus, and look at how our institutions have responded to this event, and you will see the obvious vulnerabilities in regards to potential future attacks. It doesn't help that the media reported it with sensationalist glee, jumping at every rumor and half-truth. The price we pay for 24-hr news coverage i guess,

The sooner this referendum is over with the better.

Best regards
Francis.

PS: I am not going to lie. I had no idea who Jo Cox was before she died, i won't do what many politicians and people of influence are doing and pretend to know her or make her out to be some sort of outstanding individual when i have no evidence to back up my statement.

However from what i've heard and seen i will say this, looking at Mrs Cox with foresight, i believe it's safe to suggest that she was a strong believer in democracy and in the will of the people. Therefore i sincerely believe that she too would want this referendum to go ahead.

PSMKII: I'm also an 'In' voter so please don't go supposing that all 'in' voters want this suspended.
(edited 7 years ago)
And what reason do you think that was? Had they got bored their free housing where they had been for all of Aylan's life?

Oh great! Free housing. That helps people to eat and etc.
Oh great! Free housing. That helps people to eat and etc.

Sooo ... what valid reasons do you think they had for leaving a perfectly safe country, where they had been for three years?
You should not directly compare nations, filled with flaws. There are millions of rifles in the US, so the scale would be unprecedented.

Also, there is a country next door could Mexico, where all sorts of illegal weapons can be smuggled from (unless the Trump wall gets built, which would make it much harder).

There is also no proof that using a hand gun would result in less deaths.

Another issue you have not considered (and many of the left don't consider this, which is why leftists ideas have so many unintended consequences). is that the attacker could change the attack entirely, use a bomb instead, such a bomb could kill even more.

The attacker could use an automatic rifle (they are currently illegal), as if the attacker is willing to brake the law to do the attack, and is willing to buy an illegal weapon, he or she may as well buy a more powerful weapon, as the crime / punishment would be the same. The result of which would be even more dead.

Handguns have smaller magazines and fire less powerful ammunition (generally speaking) so are less efficient and dangerous than rifles. I think Australia is a decent comparison to the US, they have a lot in common. There's a reason I picked Australia and not Brazil or something.
If the attacker really thought that a bomb would be deadlier, wouldn't he have used one? Same goes for an automatic rifle eg. AKM
I mean it's not like the guy was unwilling to break the law, he killed 50 people then proceeded into a firefight with the cops so I'd imagine making his own bomb or buying an illegal firearm wouldn't be a struggle for him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sooo ... what valid reasons do you think they had for leaving a perfectly safe country, where they had been for three years?

Firstly, he didn't have free housing. So let's get another Right wing nut job myth out of the way.

Secondly, who said they had been there for 3 years? As far as I know, he had been there for three years earning close to nothing whilst his family was getting bombed by ISIS in Kobani. He then had to bring them over.

Lol. Lets's see. He is poor. He can barely feed his family and he is depending on handouts. There are a few reasons there.
Original post by Francis Urquhart
A silly idea, it will just allow already hightening tensions to continue to reach boiling point.

We cannot allow public sensitivities to bring our entire political infrastructure to a stand-still due to the death of a single MP, no matter how henious. Imagine the damage that could happen if terrorists carried out a targeted/simultaneous attack on our democratic apparatus, and look at how our institutions have responded to this event, and you will see the obvious vulnerabilities in regards to potential future attacks. It doesn't help that the media reported it with sensationalist glee, jumping at every rumor and half-truth. The price we pay for 24-hr news coverage i guess,

The sooner this referendum is over with the better.

Best regards
Francis.

PS: I am not going to lie. I had no idea who Jo Cox was before she died, i won't do what many politicians and people of influence are doing and pretend to know her or make her out to be some sort of outstanding individual when i have no evidence to back up my statement.

However from what i've heard and seen i will say this, looking at Mrs Cox with foresight, i believe it's safe to suggest that she was a strong believer in democracy and in the will of the people. Therefore i sincerely believe that she too would want this referendum to go ahead.

PSMKII: I'm also an 'In' voter so please don't go supposing that all 'in' voters want this suspended.

That also annoys me. If you don't know the person, just say how its sad and send sympathy to the family etc, but to just make stuff up and say that she was a "hero" - wtf?, and make her sound as if she was the greatest MP in all of history, when she had only been in the job a short while is ridiculous.

Original post by cbreef
Handguns have smaller magazines and fire less powerful ammunition (generally speaking) so are less efficient than rifles. I think Australia is a decent comparison to the US, they have a lot in common. There's a reason I picked Australia and not Brazil or something. If the attacker really thought that a bomb would be deadlier, wouldn't he have used one?

I was really hoping that you would address all of my points, but like most leftists on this website (and most in general life), you don't do that :frown:.

Most of the point I made have not been addressed, e.g. Mexico / illegal weapons and number differences etc. The situation in the US is unique.
That also annoys me. If you don't know the person, just say how its sad and send sympathy to the family etc, but to just make stuff up and say that she was a "hero" - wtf?, and make her sound as if she was the greatest MP in all of history, when she had only been in the job a short while is ridiculous.

I was really hoping that you would address all of my points, but like most leftists on this website (and most in general life), you don't do that :frown:.

Most of the point I made have not been addressed, e.g. Mexico / illegal weapons and number differences etc. The situation in the US is unique.

I updated my post. I don't think it's clever or accurate to generalise "lefties". There is no reason a buy-back program or something similar wouldn't be successful. Just because the US is larger doesn't mean this wouldn't be possible (at least in some states). I think Trump's wall idea is a step too far (and against international law lol) but tighter border controls and the like would go a long way in tackling this persistent problem. As for the guns already in the US, the FBI seems pretty good at dealing with this stuff already.
(edited 7 years ago)
Firstly, he didn't have free housing. So let's get another Right wing nut job myth out of the way.

Secondly, who said they had been there for 3 years? As far as I know, he had been there for three years earning close to nothing whilst his family was getting bombed by ISIS in Kobani. He then had to bring them over.

Lol. Lets's see. He is poor. He can barely feed his family and he is depending on handouts. There are a few reasons there.

The other user is correct, leftists got that baby killed, he only made the kid take the journey so that he could get an easier life, knowing that stupid leftists would allow them in, and then he would use the baby as an anchor baby.
The other user is correct, leftists got that baby killed, he only made the kid take the journey so that he could get an easier life, knowing that stupid leftists would allow them in, and then he would use the baby as an anchor baby.

Lol, how terrible! Leaving to get a better life!
Original post by cbreef
No, how about a ban on suspected terrorists from buying guns?
And a ban on high calibre rifles. Not all guns. That'd be impossible anyway

Wasn't the gun made by the killer? It isn't hard to make weapons that will kill, humans are very vulnerable to attack.
Original post by dozyrosie
Wasn't the gun made by the killer? It isn't hard to make weapons that will kill, humans are very vulnerable to attack.

No, it was a weapon that was designed for the US Special Forces. A Sig MCX. Pretty sure it was bought legally too. Here it is:

.223 calibre, 30 round magazine, semi-automatic assault weapon. Now tell me, why is just about anyone allowed to buy one of these?
(edited 7 years ago)
I am signing the petition.

It is better done at another time.

We had general elections during world wars.

If we allow terrorism (domestic or otherwise) or crime generally to change our way of life, they've won.

As sad as the killing was, life and democracy has to go on. It is the British way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending