The Student Room Group

Help!! Final degree classification - can I lie?

Hi all,

So basically my degree final grades list went up on Tuesday and I was listed as getting a first - obviously ecstatic so went and told everyone all about it - but I didn't get my module breakdown until today, at which point my Uni emailed me to say they'd made an error with the former list and I've actually got a 2:1 rather than a first.

Want some advice as unsure what to do, I've already told everyone I know that I got a first and now it's rather awkward that I actually haven't? It is feasible for me to just keep pretending to my parents/friends that I got a first or do they read out your classification at graduation?

Any help really needed - can't believe this!
Reply 1
Original post by Whibble180
Hi all,

So basically my degree final grades list went up on Tuesday and I was listed as getting a first - obviously ecstatic so went and told everyone all about it - but I didn't get my module breakdown until today, at which point my Uni emailed me to say they'd made an error with the former list and I've actually got a 2:1 rather than a first.

Want some advice as unsure what to do, I've already told everyone I know that I got a first and now it's rather awkward that I actually haven't? It is feasible for me to just keep pretending to my parents/friends that I got a first or do they read out your classification at graduation?

That's awful - I feel so sorry for you. I would have been devastated too.

Unfortunately some graduation ceremonies do distinguish those with Firsts from other classifications (mine did). Also there will be a graduation booklet handed to all attendees which will list everyone's classification.

I would be up front and make a noise about it. You'll probably find that a Facebook post explaining what happeded, will bring nothing but sympathy.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
That's awful - I feel so sorry for you. I would have been devastated too.

Unfortunately some graduation ceremonies do distinguish those with Firsts from other classifications (mine did). Also there will be a graduation booklet handed to all attendees which will list everyone's classification.

I would be up front and make a noise about it. You'll probably find that a Facebook post explaining what happeded, will bring nothing but sympathy.

Thanks for this, made me feel a lot better! I think you're right it's probably best to just come clean,dreading it
Wow I feel for you!!!! You've got a good degree congratulations :smile:. I think you might have to own up to save face though. It's not exactly you're fault. You genuinely thought you got a first!!

Owning up will be a relief and will allow you to enjoy you're achievement. Welldone
Thanks for this, made me feel a lot better! I think you're right it's probably best to just come clean,dreading it

Stop whining and tell the truth. A 2:1 is a good grade. Be proud of yourself. If you lie,you'll get found out at graduation anyway.
if you act like it's not a big deal and you're not embarrassed it shouldn't be too bad telling people, they will probably be aware it might have been upsetting and be careful with how they react anyway
Hi all,

A facebook post will probably get it out the way quickly and easily.

Just imagine keeping this lie up for 20 years and you'll soon realise how silly it would be not to just tell the truth now. The uni made a mix up so it was their fault and you don't need to feel embarrassed or anything.

Sorry for the disappointment OP! I'm chuffed with my 2:1 but I can see how it's a bummer after being told you got a first.
I don't understand how this kind of error could have been made to start with. Was there any explanation given as to why they thought you had a first and now don't?
I'd probably make an academic appeal of misconduct to the uni and see if you can get reclassified, they messed up badly here. I mean, it's unlikely but it's worth a go.
Also at my graduation there was no listing of degree classification results in the booklet or acknowledgement of who had got a first in the presentation. I think that kind of thing has been phased out nearly everywhere now.
Original post by Powersymphonia
Stop whining and tell the truth. A 2:1 is a good grade. Be proud of yourself. If you lie,you'll get found out at graduation anyway.

They have every right to 'whine', or be upset. They received some great news, celebrated and then was told that they'd made a mistake and it wasn't as good they had originally thought - okay, a 2:1 is still good, but that doesn't help them with their situation and how to progress, as they're just looking for advice on whether to deal with the awkwardness of having to come clean.
Original post by imitationleather
Also at my graduation there was no listing of degree classification results in the booklet or acknowledgement of who had got a first in the presentation. I think that kind of thing has been phased out nearly everywhere now.

My university prints "with first class honours" next to the names of students who get a first. They don't print the other classifications though.
How annoying, as I did get a 1st class honours! Oh well.
How annoying, as I did get a 1st class honours! Oh well.

Yeah but I assume you aimed for a first for your own benefit rather than as something to brag about, so it shouldn't really matter haha. I'm on track for a first but I wouldn't care either way if they stopped printing who got a first before I graduate next year. It doesn't matter if 300 other people know I got a first or not, as long as I get it.
Reply 14
Original post by GoingToBurst
I don't understand how this kind of error could have been made to start with. Was there any explanation given as to why they thought you had a first and now don't?

They just said it was an 'administrative error'. Really annoying as they took two days to tell me about the mistake, by which time I'd obviously told everyone I know that I got a first!
Reply 15

Thanks for this. I tried to kick up a fuss with my school but they just said it wasn't their fault and that it's a very busy time etc.

Quick Reply

Latest