The Student Room Group

It looks like we're definitely heading for brexit

All the signs suggest we will be voting for brexit in a few days time. Which is, imo, is very upsetting.

First brexiters are much more likely to vote and the overwhelming remainers in younger generations, a lot probably won't be voting.

The polls being conducted most of the time show brexit ahead, 15th June poll (BMG) showed brexit ahead by 10%. Any time remain is winning it is by a very small margin.

All over social media, no matter what politically orientated platform, all the top comments are always in favour of leaving even on Jeremy Corbyn's posts! - ik this is a very inaccurate way of showing who's winning but it shows that brexiters are both more vocal and are very popular.

Bearing all that in mind it looks almost certain that unfortunately we are heading for Brexit.

And as a remainer, I am a realist (hence why the economic arguments make more sense to me than fantastical claims of taking back control) so I have to realise that we probably won't be staying.

Scroll to see replies

I hope we are!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2
Good.
Reply 3
Why is it upsetting? An independent Britain, free from EU rule and allowed to prosper on the world stage is not something to be upset about.

The people are beginning to see sense. Let's hope we are all celebrating independence day on Friday!
Original post by ATW1
Why is it upsetting? An independent Britain, free from EU rule and allowed to prosper on the world stage is not something to be upset about.g

The people are beginning to see sense. Let's hope we are all celebrating independence day on Friday!

Do you support Donald Trump?
You're not considering the relatively large numbers of undecided voters. These people are mostly women,have relatively low levels of information, who are usually risk-averse and so have a tendency to vote for what they think is the status quo (remain in the EU). They are more likely to swing to result towards remain than brexit--i think that the large block of undecided voters will counteract brexits natural advantage of having higher turnout amongst its firm voters.
Reply 6
Original post by Major Zero
Do you support Donald Trump?

Not really relevant, but if I was a US citizen I would vote for him, yes.
Original post by ATW1
Not really relevant, but if I was a US citizen I would vote for him, yes.

Your original comment makes sense then. Thank you for answering. Btw, Britain will vote to remain, there will be no party for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Major Zero
Your original comment makes sense then. Thank you for answering.
Don't worry about it, I know my profile picture doesn't give much away!
Original post by ATW1
Why is it upsetting? An independent Britain, free from EU rule and allowed to prosper on the world stage is not something to be upset about.

Oh dear, this is exactly what's wrong with the leave campaign. You are basically insulting all the voters with these fantastical claims of a beloved hinterland. The whole leave campaign, just like this comment, is a childish emotional plea to desert a community with no factual information or real economic basis to your reasoning.

Leave campaign summed up: take back 'control' so we can oust David and hopefully we won't make too much of an economic mess.
Reply 10
Those polls that come out within the 48hrs preceding the actual vote are the ones that give the best indication as to which way the public will vote.
Anything before that, I take with a pinch of salt tbh (whether they show remain or leave)
Original post by ODES_PDES
I hope we are!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

That's the attitude! :biggrin:

Original post by Proximo
Oh dear, this is exactly what's wrong with the leave campaign. You are basically insulting all the voters with these fantastical claims of a beloved hinterland. The whole leave campaign, just like this comment, is a childish emotional plea to desert a community with no factual information or real economic basis to your reasoning.

Leave campaign summed up: take back 'control' so we can oust David and hopefully we won't make too much of an economic mess.

It's disgusting that you haven't even read up on economic arguments for leave.

Yes, the claim of £350 million a week is misleading at best, but #NEWSFLASH Both sides are lying.

But I'll give some economic arguments...

1) Considering the UK rebate/correction we pay £245 million a week.
Considering the EU budget which is spent on us we still pay an excess of £168 million a week.
We don't get to decide how this money is spent.
This comes with an EU label; propaganda, despite the excess of £168 million we pay.

2) The Common Agricultural Policy puts a tariff on non-EU agricultural goods, depriving non-EU farmers of a market of 500 million. This reduces competition, increasing food prices, and it stalls the development of LEDCs (third world countries in essence.)

3) The EU Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS)("carbon"/green tax(es)) increases the cost of producing energy. To compensate providers increase energy prices. Energy providers also relocate, reducing competition, so energy prices further increase.

4) High energy prices. EU ETS also increase the cost of producing steel. Our current government (that loves the EU lol) rejected a proposal recently to increase a tariff on Chinese dumped steel. All of this (all three reasons) destroying the steel industry in britain, but you probs don't care, do you?

There are multiple democratic reasons to leave the EU, but those aren't entirely economic.

Oh yeah, before I forget...

5) We are the biggest export market for goods for the rest of the EU.

6) The EU trading bloc is the only trading bloc in the world whose GDP is shrinking (i.e. it's the only shrinking trading bloc in the world GDP wise.)
Original post by Proximo
The whole leave campaign, just like this comment, is a childish emotional plea to desert a community with no factual information or real economic basis to your reasoning.

Yeah, democratic accountability is silly and emotional, and if you aren't willing to sell it out for a marginal increase in short and perhaps medium term economic growth you are a child.
Original post by XcitingStuart
That's the attitude! :biggrin:

It's disgusting that you haven't even read up on economic arguments for leave.

Yes, the claim of £350 million a week is misleading at best, but #NEWSFLASH Both sides are lying.

But I'll give some economic arguments...

1) Considering the UK rebate/correction we pay £245 million a week.
Considering the EU budget which is spent on us we still pay an excess of £168 million a week.
We don't get to decide how this money is spent.
This comes with an EU label; propaganda, despite the excess of £168 million we pay.

2) The Common Agricultural Policy puts a tariff on non-EU agricultural goods, depriving non-EU farmers of a market of 500 million. This reduces competition, increasing food prices, and it stalls the development of LEDCs (third world countries in essence.)

3) The EU Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS)("carbon"/green tax(es)) increases the cost of producing energy. To compensate providers increase energy prices. Energy providers also relocate, reducing competition, so energy prices further increase.

4) High energy prices. EU ETS also increase the cost of producing steel. Our current government (that loves the EU lol) rejected a proposal recently to increase a tariff on Chinese dumped steel. All of this (all three reasons) destroying the steel industry in britain, but you probs don't care, do you?

There are multiple democratic reasons to leave the EU, but those aren't entirely economic.

Oh yeah, before I forget...

5) We are the biggest export market for goods for the rest of the EU.

6) The EU trading bloc is the only trading bloc in the world whose GDP is shrinking (i.e. it's the only shrinking trading bloc in the world GDP wise.)

Gee the cost of independence is really complicated. I'm glad it doesn't come down to that though. You would think some of us were Jewish.
Original post by Fenice
I think this just demonstrates how poor your understanding is of this issue.

Screenshot_2016-06-19-12-32-20.png

Genius!

Lets all put 200 on leaving the EU they vote to win! We've got a week, do this right and we'll bankrupt gambling.
Reply 15
Original post by MrControversial
Genius!

Lets all put 200 on leaving the EU they vote to win! We've got a week, do this right and we'll bankrupt gambling.

You don't seem to understand how gambling works
I think it'll be pretty bad if we leave the EU.

If we do I can only hope that we'll join the EEA or have some equivalent deal.
we are remaining. you heard it here first.
Reply 18
Original post by the bear
we are remaining. you heard it here first.

Screenshot_2016-06-19-13-34-06.png
Original post by Fenice
Screenshot_2016-06-19-13-34-06.png

why does the ticket say "Remain" ?

here are the latest odds:

brexit11.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending