The Student Room Group

In a situation

I'll try keep this short.

I'm a 22 year old graduate at one of the biggest banks in the world. I would say that I'm good looking, I work out a lot and I'm pretty lean and stuff. I've never really had a problem with girls, but I'm not the type to play around the field, I'll only enter in with someone I care about. Met my senior managers daughter at a BBQ just after I joined (she's 31). Anyway she seemed like a nice girl and we became friends. Then one day her dad pulls me aside and essentially threatens me that I HAVE to go out with his daughter (as in make her happy, date and stuff) or he'll make my life a living hell (he said it in a sly way that can be interpreted in many different ways, but made it explicitly clear in that moment that he was serious. Sure enough she asked me out and I said yes as a result of this. She's actually very annoying, really clingy, always wanting to interfere in my business (went to go spend a week off I had with my family and she got pissed at me? Wtf). I really don't like her at all, but I'm too scared of what the senior manager said, and I can't imagine he'd be too thrilled with me if I dumped his precious daughter. She's fit but I don't want anything to do with her. This "relationship" has been going on for about 6 weeks now and I can't take any more of it. How do I get out of this mess?
Reply 1
Dump her and report your manager to HR
Original post by UWS

The thing is, I've got no actual proof that he threatened me like this (as it was just a conversation we had face to face and nobody was nearby) that he could easily deny, or even play off as a joke. He's been there for years and I don't think they'd take my side as a newbie over his (as it would essentially come down to his word against mine) :frown:
Get a proper reason for breaking up with her, catch her doing something? Or whatever will give you an valid and non arguable reason to break up with her
Reply 4
Plan 1) Record him say something somehow.

Plan 2) Just use her to climb higher - turn the negative into something positive long term.

Plan 3) Record him say it AND use her to climb higher.
Original post by UWS

I agree , but maybe having a solid reason that you have to break up with her and cannot be with her any longer is any longer:wink::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Results
Plan 1) Record him say something somehow.

Plan 2) Just use her to climb higher - turn the negative into something positive long term.

Plan 3) Record him say it AND use her to climb higher.

Yessss !
Original post by FinanciallyFit
I'll try keep this short.

I'm a 22 year old graduate at one of the biggest banks in the world. I would say that I'm good looking, I work out a lot and I'm pretty lean and stuff. I've never really had a problem with girls, but I'm not the type to play around the field, I'll only enter in with someone I care about. Met my senior managers daughter at a BBQ just after I joined (she's 31). Anyway she seemed like a nice girl and we became friends. Then one day her dad pulls me aside and essentially threatens me that I HAVE to go out with his daughter (as in make her happy, date and stuff) or he'll make my life a living hell (he said it in a sly way that can be interpreted in many different ways, but made it explicitly clear in that moment that he was serious. Sure enough she asked me out and I said yes as a result of this. She's actually very annoying, really clingy, always wanting to interfere in my business (went to go spend a week off I had with my family and she got pissed at me? Wtf). I really don't like her at all, but I'm too scared of what the senior manager said, and I can't imagine he'd be too thrilled with me if I dumped his precious daughter. She's fit but I don't want anything to do with her. This "relationship" has been going on for about 6 weeks now and I can't take any more of it. How do I get out of this mess?

He cannot tell u what to do, i mean it is ur life and just dump her, i am a girl and trust me just dont be with her, as the only person who will get hurt in the end will be u and her, so yh try talking to the senior boss and i agree with the other guy tell the senior boss or whoever is in charge about her dad and what he is telling u to do, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by FinanciallyFit
The thing is, I've got no actual proof that he threatened me like this (as it was just a conversation we had face to face and nobody was nearby) that he could easily deny, or even play off as a joke. He's been there for years and I don't think they'd take my side as a newbie over his (as it would essentially come down to his word against mine) :frown:

There must be other people in that workplace who supports u and knows his true side, and yh i also think u should record ur conversation with him as evidence, like the other person on TSR said :smile:
Reply 9
Mate, you've got some good leverage here. Use it to your advantage, it's an absolute dog eat dog cesspit in large corporate banks.

Quick Reply

Latest