The Student Room Group

Is it normal a straight guy to feel uneasy around homosexuality?

I have absolutely nothing against their way of life. I don't care who they choose to love, it's their choice.

I just get this feeling whenever I see gays making out or whatever. I wouldn't say disgust, because that's a pretty vile way of describing love, I just guess it's because I'm straight that I feel this way.

Seeing a girl kiss a girl turns me on, seeing a girl kiss a guy turns me on, but seeing two guys kissing doesn't.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You still haven't fully accepted yourself. This is normal though when you have a society saying the same thing
Reply 2
Original post by Ordo
You still haven't fully accepted yourself. This is normal though when you have a society saying the same thing

So how can you explain that I'm neither sexually or emotionally attracted to men?

I'm very happy with who I am.
Reply 3
If seeing 2 guys kiss turned you on then i dont think you'd come under the straight category lol! It's the same for gay guys seeing a guy and a girl kiss, they'd probably feel a little weirded out because they cant understand/comprehend that type of relationship, just like you cant comprehend theirs.

So long as you're not spreading hate and they arent either, then its all good!
Reply 4
This is fine; you can't control how you instinctively react to something, so long as you don't believe there's anything wrong with it which you clearly don't there's nothing to feel bad about
Reply 5
Original post by donte
If seeing 2 guys kiss turned you on then i dont think you'd come under the straight category lol! It's the same for gay guys seeing a guy and a girl kiss, they'd probably feel a little weirded out because they cant understand/comprehend that type of relationship, just like you cant comprehend theirs.

So long as you're not spreading hate and they arent either, then its all good!

Exactly! Do people want me to be turned on my 2 guys kissing to "accept" the sexuality?

I do understand gay relationships though.
Reply 6
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
This is fine; you can't control how you instinctively react to something, so long as you don't believe there's anything wrong with it which you clearly don't there's nothing to feel bad about

Why is it so difficult for people to understand this?

I don't have anything against homosexuals, they can do whatever they want with whoever they want. I endorse same-sex marriage for crying out loud.
Reply 7
I guess there will come a time when this type of comment makes no sense. When everyone has the right to express affection to whoever they want, when it doesn't stand out and when people don't feel the need to comment.The is something mildly homophobic about OPs choice of language, classifying people by their sexuality and expressing tolerance for something that is really nobody else's business anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
I guess there will come a time when this type of comment makes no sense. When everyone has the right to express affection to whoever they want, when it doesn't stand out and when people don't feel the need to comment.The is something mildly homophobic about OPs choice of language, classifying people by their sexuality and expressing tolerance for something that is really nobody else's business anyway.

Expressing tolerance is now "mildly" homophobic.

Jesus.
Reply 9
[QUOTE=Anonymous;65915066]Expressing tolerance is now "mildly" homophobic.

Jesus.
We've got to the point where it should be a given. Also, why post anonymously.
I'd say this is normal, I feel the same way when I see a guy homosexual act. But I'm all for them expressing themselves how they want, I even support their right to get married (even though I'm a catholic which "should" be against it). I think it's just as a guy we put our-self in the place of them when we see it unconsciously and since we wouldn't want to do it we feel uneasy. Nothing wrong with that unless you start using that feeling to be prejudice against them.
Original post by Anonymous
I have absolutely nothing against their way of life. I don't care who they choose to love, it's their choice.I just get this feeling whenever I see gays making out or whatever. I wouldn't say disgust, because that's a pretty vile way of describing love, I just guess it's because I'm straight that I feel this way.Seeing a girl kiss a girl turns me on, seeing a girl kiss a guy turns me on, but seeing two guys kissing doesn't.

I think this is normal for many heterosexual males. I'm not a man myself, but the feelings that you are expressing are very similar to how the straight men in my life seem to feel. It's not bad to feel that something you can't understand is strange, even if you rationally accept there is nothing wrong with it. You can't help your emotions and you aren't spreading hate so don't feel guilty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I'd say it's pretty normal not everyone wants to see stuff like that. In fact I don't like to see pda in general if I am honest, regardless of the orientation of the couples
Girl + girl = turn on
guy + guy = disgust.

sounds like homophobia to me. You just wanna sound like you're not homophobic. But props to you for being for same sex marriage.
Original post by jackien1
Girl + girl = turn on
guy + guy = disgust.

sounds like homophobia to me. You just wanna sound like you're not homophobic. But props to you for being for same sex marriage.

I never I was disgusted in guy on guy LOL :lol:
Girl + girl = turn on
guy + guy = disgust.

Disagree.

I think it's just how a straight guy and their turn ons etc work. I feel the same as the OP but would not describe myself as homophobic.
I never I was disgusted in guy on guy LOL :lol:

I just get this feeling whenever I see gays making out or whatever. I wouldn't say disgust, because that's a pretty vile way of describing love, I just guess it's because I'm straight that I feel this way.

You wouldn't say disgust, but you pretty much just said it.
Original post by SeanFM
Disagree.

I think it's just how a straight guy and their turn ons etc work. I feel the same as the OP but would not describe myself as homophobic.

Would anyone really describe themselves as homophobic?
You wouldn't say disgust, but you pretty much just said it.

Lol, whatever you mad cat.
Original post by SeanFM
Disagree.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending