The Student Room Group

Mathematics A-Level

Can anyone of you help me plan on how to finish Mathematics A-Level for next year, because i am planning to give all maths AS exams before June...
Reply 1
Which board?
Reply 2
Original post by Jayce.x
Which board?

Edexcel
Reply 3
Which units are you taking? I'm taking C1-C4, FP1 and FP2/FP3. Are you self studying?
Reply 4
Original post by Jayce.x
Which units are you taking? I'm taking C1-C4, FP1 and FP2/FP3. Are you self studying?

Yup I am self-studying and I really am planning to do AS Mathematics before June... I am taking C1, C2 and M1
Reply 5
C1 is really easy! You can finish it in a week! I'm on C2 now and that's pretty easy too. Really don't know anything about M1, sorry. The Edexcel AS and A level Modular Mathematics books are amazing! They have exam questions at the end of each chapter and that's what I've been told to really focus on.
You can get the past papers from
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371#step3

A lot of people do all of these! You really don't need to be stressed about AS. It's pretty easy to score an A in it. That's what I've heard.The trigonometry bit is probably the only part that you need to focus on a little more. You could easily be done with C1 and C2 in a month or two.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers is great too!

And you can pm me if you have any doubts about anything!
Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Jayce.x
C1 is really easy! You can finish it in a week! I'm on C2 now and that's pretty easy too. Really don't know anything about M1, sorry. The Edexcel AS and A level Modular Mathematics books are amazing! They have exam questions at the end of each chapter and that's what I've been told to really focus on.
You can get the past papers from
[url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371#step3"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371#step3

A lot of people do all of these! You really don't need to be stressed about AS. It's pretty easy to score an A in it. That's what I've heard.The trigonometry bit is probably the only part that you need to focus on a little more. You could easily be done with C1 and C2 in a month or two.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers is great too!

And you can pm me if you have any doubts about anything!
Good luck!

Thanks for saying C1 is easy because since i have just done my IG's i thought it was going to be tough, and if it is ok with you can you please guide me on how to finish my c1 book in aweek or so...
I self taught edexcel c1 and m1 this year. C1 will definitely take you more than a week, especially if you want to be getting A grades. It took me about a month to finish c1 (i was doing 3 other a levels at the time), and around 5/6 weeks to do m1. M1 was slightly trickier, cause you wont be familiar with most of the topics as they aren't taught at gcse, but it was my favorite unit. I watched almost all of the hegarty maths c1 videos, and for m1 I watched all of the exam solutions videos (which were an absolute lifesaver). I'd recommend doing as much of the questions in the official edexcel maths book, including the review exercises which are VERY USEFUL, and once you've finished learning everything, do as many past papers as you can. Good luck!
Reply 8
this year i did c1, c2, c3, c4, s1, m1 from scratch

m1, c1 and c2 are sooo easy to learn and practise trust me

use physicsandmathstutor.com as well as the pearson textbooks, good luck
Reply 9
Thank you guys
Reply 10
Original post by Amyyn Uddyn
Thanks for saying C1 is easy because since i have just done my IG's i thought it was going to be tough, and if it is ok with you can you please guide me on how to finish my c1 book in aweek or so...

Practice. Practice. Practice. You will have to put a lot of hours in though! Don't think two or three hours a day is enough! I'm talking about about 10 hours a day! The book is super easy and you can finish it in a week even if you do all of the exercises. The co-ordinate geometry chapter is a little too long but it is very easy! If you were an A* student before, C1 will pretty much just be revision for you. Differentiation is the only bit that I think will take a little more time to understand. Integration is the easiest! Wasn't expecting that at all. Literally finished it in 4-5 hours! It really just depends on how focused you are! One thing I will say is, don't move on to C2 if you aren't thorough with C1. That's one great way to not understand anything, haha. And don't skip any thing just because it looks easy! I think you should be done with C1 and C2 in a little over a month if you do all the exercises in the textbook, past papers, quizzes and worksheets! I think you won't really have anything to practice on after that, haha. You can try past papers from other boards too, if you want to and you're like me, haha, but that's just something extra and you DO NOT need that AT ALL. Everyone's different though. Some people can get an A with barely putting any work and others have to work ten times harder!

Quick Reply

Latest