The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Geography A - 24th May 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CorpusLuteum
It was much easier than I expected but I still managed to flop because of the lack of case studies in my head. I literally learnt them the HOUR before the exam
How was it for you?

I thought the paper was quite decent, apart from the six marker on the UK settlement that changes over time, I asked my teacher and he said its not really on the spec, and the example in the revision guide is about Benidorm. Luckily i managed to remember something from year 8, and i probably got a few marks for it.
Original post by Curry Muncher
I thought the paper was quite decent, apart from the six marker on the UK settlement that changes over time, I asked my teacher and he said its not really on the spec, and the example in the revision guide is about Benidorm. Luckily i managed to remember something from year 8, and i probably got a few marks for it.

Yeah, hopefully.
How did you guys find the Human Environment exam yesterday?

It was good !! You ?
What did you guys put for the last 6 marker.
These were the effects I added: my host country was the UK.

- Translators
-Language Barrier
- Large Workforce
- Multiculturalism
- Child benefit applications from outside the UK

Lots of people wrote about blackpool, but is that even a settlement? I was going to write about Benidorm but it's not even in the UK!! So I wrote about counter-urbanisation in ST Ives Cambrigeshire. I think it went from a large market town to a small one due to counter-urbanisation and then shops and services closed down. I made a few stats up as well to make it more convincing. :biggrin:.
Original post by arj2104
What did you guys put for the last 6 marker.
These were the effects I added: my host country was the UK.

- Translators
-Language Barrier
- Large Workforce
- Multiculturalism
- Child benefit applications from outside the UK

Social:
More disposable income due to minimum wage
Laws introduced in the Uk to allow paid holidays
Introduction of holiday packages make it cheaper to go on holidays e.g Thomas Cooks all inclusive
Globalisation/ease of communication - easier to book online, cheaper (comparative sites), advertisements
Tourism has decreased because people are starting families, social attitudes are changing. Didn't really have much to write about this, I ran out of time.

Political:
China moved from a communist government to capital government which encourage tourism and hence invested into the local economy.
Relaxation of EU barriers/ introduction of Visas
Cheaper exchange rates
Tourism has decreased in North Korea where outside world are not allowed, censorship because its still a communist government. Civil wars such as Syria, lack of facilities and tourist attractions
+ conclusion at the end.
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it was a nice paper
Original post by SmallTown
Lots of people wrote about blackpool, but is that even a settlement? I was going to write about Benidorm but it's not even in the UK!! So I wrote about counter-urbanisation in ST Ives Cambrigeshire. I think it went from a large market town to a small one due to counter-urbanisation and then shops and services closed down. I made a few stats up as well to make it more convincing. :biggrin:.

I guess you could kinda talk about blackpool. I wrote about Durham, how it started out as a defensive settlement and developed into a cultural/heritage settlement.
That 6 marker on UK settlement OMG -- totally mucked that up as the case study in the revision guide is indeed Benidorm...

I wrote about Blackpool as I was pressed for time and had that case study prepared for tourism -- I said it was once a hamlet but then it changed functions to a tourist destination :/

Hopefully I can get 2 or 3/6 maybe 4 if I'm lucky as I did have some specific points from my Butler Model case study....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kind of relieved it was by just me who found that question annoying! Guess that means kind of low grade boundaries... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username1502
Kind of relieved it was by just me who found that question annoying! Guess that means kind of low grade boundaries... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about Blackpool as well and the settlement moving from a hamlet to one of Europes biggest and largest tourist destination! I knew nothing else to right about. Hopefully we get marks. Did you get a new sheet for figure 5a because they was a mistake with the key. LOL! Our school made us rip it out of the booklet.
Original post by Pens&Papers
I wrote about Blackpool as well and the settlement moving from a hamlet to one of Europes biggest and largest tourist destination! I knew nothing else to right about. Hopefully we get marks. Did you get a new sheet for figure 5a because they was a mistake with the key. LOL! Our school made us rip it out of the booklet.

Haha, yeahhh our school just made us put a big cross through the wrong figure 5a and printed us a new one :biggrin:

Hopefully we get marks for Blackpool as I practically said the exact same thing as you and banged in a few facts I had from the tourism unit!
Did anyone else find the girl's face in the resource booklet who was visiting Scotland from Canada with the wind blowing her hair all over the place -- it was hilarious.

But yeah, hopefully we get marks. Made me feel a lot better that someone else said similar things!

I WROTE about Bluewater :smile:
Haha, yeahhh our school just made us put a big cross through the wrong figure 5a and printed us a new one :biggrin:

Hopefully we get marks for Blackpool as I practically said the exact same thing as you and banged in a few facts I had from the tourism unit!
Did anyone else find the girl's face in the resource booklet who was visiting Scotland from Canada with the wind blowing her hair all over the place -- it was hilarious.

But yeah, hopefully we get marks. Made me feel a lot better that someone else said similar things!

Lol yeah same :smile:
Did you do Moving world if so did you see that old lady? She made me laugh so bad LOOL
Original post by nisha.sri
Lol yeah same :smile:
Did you do Moving world if so did you see that old lady? She made me laugh so bad LOOL

OMG LOOOOOL. I didn't do Moving I did Tourism but OMG I saw that old woman in the resource booklet and it was so funny :clap2:
OMG LOOOOOL. I didn't do Moving I did Tourism but OMG I saw that old woman in the resource booklet and it was so funny :clap2:

Agreed !! LOOL the way that she was cropped and there was nothing on the page except from her face + some words lol.
How did you find the exam overall ?
I thought it was good :tongue:

Only people who did foundation got a new figure 5a in my school.. :/
Original post by U-GradeStudent
Only people who did foundation got a new figure 5a in my school.. :/

Everyone who does foundation or higher got it at my school. The whole figure was wrong.
Everyone who does foundation or higher got it at my school. The whole figure was wrong.

Oh... That's not good! :frown:
Original post by U-GradeStudent
Oh... That's not good! :frown:

Wait! Is it what I'm thinking? You didn't get figure 5A?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending