The Student Room Group

Didn't get in uni, what next?

Just finished A-levels and I know I didn't get the grades I should have (or could have) to get into uni. I know I haven't actually got my results back so shouldn't be thinking that I haven't got in, but I just wanna be practical in thinking I should be prepared to re-take yr 13.
Can anyone who's re-taken yr 13 or doing an apprenticeship, etc. (or thinking they will) tell me what they did and if it was a smart choice?
You could also go through UCAS clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Some schools have really really low entry requirements
Reply 3
I just had my sights set on UEA, didn't really want to go anywhere else.
If I get rejected from my course, is there still a chance the same course will be in the clearing?
Reply 4
If it's not really a strong course, no offence but yeah there is still a high chance.

I had a friend who got into Birmingham with ACC when the original offer was A*AB
Original post by T-Osiris
Just finished A-levels and I know I didn't get the grades I should have (or could have) to get into uni. I know I haven't actually got my results back so shouldn't be thinking that I haven't got in, but I just wanna be practical in thinking I should be prepared to re-take yr 13.
Can anyone who's re-taken yr 13 or doing an apprenticeship, etc. (or thinking they will) tell me what they did and if it was a smart choice?

Hello, I am also in this position.

My firm wants A*AA and my insurance wants AAA. I know that I've not got higher than AAB so, while I haven't done disastrously, I will not have met either offer.

I'm going to see what is available in clearing first. But, if there aren't any courses that appeal (which is the most likely scenario) I'm going to take a year out, get a job and possibly retake some subjects. Then, I will reapply next year.

I was devastated at first. But, now that I come to think of it, it's not the end of the world. If you end up taking out a gap year, that will get you extra money for uni next year and be good work experience for a cv.
Reply 6
Original post by Calmness
If it's not really a strong course, no offence but yeah there is still a high chance.

I had a friend who got into Birmingham with ACC when the original offer was A*AB

It's ABB so not to high, I've just really messed up my maths thanks to AQA. Guess I'll hope that requirements drop a bit if not looks like gap year retaking exams is best for me then.
Reply 7
It's ABB so not to high, I've just really messed up my maths thanks to AQA. Guess I'll hope that requirements drop a bit if not looks like gap year retaking exams is best for me then.

ABB, hmm.

Never say never, there might still be hope they would take you through clearing, considering it's a science subject that maybe a bit far fetched but it's happened before :smile:

That's as much as i can say right now
Reply 8

The grade boundaries will probably be low if everyone found it hard.

The smart choice is the one that suits you and your aspirations.

Decide what it is you want and then review the options to see which one gets you closest to your goal on a pros and cons basis.

You dont know what your resuls are.

If you dont fall too short you may still hey in at your original choices.

If you fall further below you may get to do the course + foundation year (extra years debt)
or you should look at clearing.

Do not jump at a course just because you are impatient to go to Uni, it's a £44,000 decision.

Retakes are much cheaper if you feel you could have done better and can do the revision on your own. Plus youi can live at home and get a job.

Just get a job. = money , experience and time.

Apprenticeship- but make sure its a good one and not just cheap labour.
Just retake and do better next year if you didn't get the grades you wanted. No point going to a Uni you don't want to go to just for the sake of going to "university", most uni's will accept retakes anyway.

Also grades such as BBB/BBC can get you into ABB uni's with clearing most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest