The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mir0slaw
Hey guys,

I just registered on this page and I've got two questions I'd be grateful for an answer to:

1) How many points do you think part iii) of problem 5 and last line of problem 12 will be worth, respectively?

2) Did you also find this STEP significantly harder than all the recent ones, or was it just the effect time and psychological pressure had on me? At home, on a mock I did, I did much better.

3) "Fun question" - what do you think will be the least popular problem?

I need to get a 1 here and I'd lie if I said I didn't expect to manage, but hearing this from someone else would make me feel much calmer - that's just how I am. I'm not trying to humble-brag and I'm really sympathetic for people who will turn out to have done worse than me.

Cause other than problems 5 & 12 I'm hoping for about 70-80 points for other 4 problems. I'm hoping to only lose a few points for not explaining everything thoroughly enough - I was in a real hurry, but I'm pretty sure that the solutions were right.

Cheers

Cant answer your first question sorry
I believe the general consensus is that it was an average paper
Probably Question 10. Statistics seemed to have had more attempts than usual and the other two mechanics seem popular on here. None of the pure were especially off putting (probably because of no geometry)
Original post by matthewdjones
Cant answer your first question sorry
I believe the general consensus is that it was an average paper
Probably Question 10. Statistics seemed to have had more attempts than usual and the other two mechanics seem popular on here. None of the pure were especially off putting (probably because of no geometry)

q10 was the easiest mech question imo, it was basically just finding the centre of mass of the triangle
Original post by StrangeBanana
q10 was the easiest mech question imo, it was basically just finding the centre of mass of the triangle

It may have been ahah! statics put people off the most in mechanics imo and there doesn't seem to be that many people discussing it on here. While on the other hand I've seen many posts about 12,13, 9 and to a smaller extent 11 (rather surprisingly as it was a fairly nice projectiles question!)
Original post by ThatPerson
Alternate solution to STEP II Q7 (iv).

Alternate one which I'm surprised no one else did:
IBP with x and 1/cosx(cosx+sinx), antiderivative of 1/cosx(cosx+sinx) is ln(1+tanx), result follows.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
IBP with x and 1/cosx(cosx+sinx), antiderivative of 1/cosx(cosx+sinx) is ln(1+tanx), result follows.

sorry i had not asked, how did the exam go for you? hope it went well.
Hey guys,

I just registered on this page and I've got two questions I'd be grateful for an answer to:

1) How many points do you think part iii) of problem 5 and last line of problem 12 will be worth, respectively?

2) Did you also find this STEP significantly harder than all the recent ones, or was it just the effect time and psychological pressure had on me? At home, on a mock I did, I did much better.

3) "Fun question" - what do you think will be the least popular problem?

I need to get a 1 here and I'd lie if I said I didn't expect to manage, but hearing this from someone else would make me feel much calmer - that's just how I am. I'm not trying to humble-brag and I'm really sympathetic for people who will turn out to have done worse than me.

Cause other than problems 5 & 12 I'm hoping for about 70-80 points for other 4 problems. I'm hoping to only lose a few points for not explaining everything thoroughly enough - I was in a real hurry, but I'm pretty sure that the solutions were right.

Cheers

Last line of 12, I think 2-5 marks. If you've got 70 marks across the other 4 questions you are pretty much guaranteed a 1 and quite possibly an S, so well done!
Original post by sweeneyrod
well done!

Thanks! I hope I haven't done any super silly mistakes I couldn't notice. How did it go for you?
Thanks! I hope I haven't done any super silly mistakes I couldn't notice. How did it go for you?

Pretty good I think, should have got high 70's, so a 1.
Sorry if this has already been answered but I was wondering how many marks I would lose for getting factorization wrong in the last part of q2, and hence only getting one of the right values for x. I did choose x,1,2,3 though and everything else was right.

@physicsmaths

@Zacken

I don't really know why I'm quoting you two in particular but you seem to be practised estimators, and also my posts seem to get drowned out quite quickly by other posts so, while I hate to be a nuisance, it would be really helpful if someone could take a look.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit late for this post,

But for STEP 1's question 2, if I differentiate the given giant equation correctly, and manage to solve part (ii) correctly using an FP3 substitution (let x=sinhu) is that acceptable?

I failed to solve part (i) and part (iii) completely. How many marks should I get out of 20 for that, you guys think, approximately?
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, for STEP1 question 10, upon successfully reaching lambda * e = 1 (I think it's towards the end) then going wrong after that, how many marks should I approximately get? I continued with the wrong answers after that for part (ii) in an attempt to scrape some method marks and I ended up with a value of lambda and e but it's wrong.

15-16/20? or less
Reply 211
Original post by kelvin1338

But for STEP 1's question 2, if I differentiate the given giant equation correctly, and manage to solve part (ii) correctly using an FP3 substitution (let x=sinhu) is that acceptable?

I failed to solve part (i) and part (iii) completely. How many marks should I get out of 20 for that, you guys think, approximately?

The question specifically says "hence" which means you must use the previous result so I'm not sure if they'd give you any marks. You definitely wouldn't get full marks for that part since it doesn't state "hence, or otherwise"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelvin1338

Sorry mate, about 4-5/20 just for the differentiation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alternately divide both sides with cos^2 x gives sec^2 x / (1 + tan x).
This is in the form of f'(x) / f(x) so integration is ln (1+ tan x).

Edit: I just realised that I got the sketch of the curve in Q1 incorrect for t < 0, reflecting the curve into the y-axis instead of the x-axis. This caused me to miss the 2nd intersection point too. How many marks will be gone? I got everything else in that question correct by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
sorry i had not asked, how did the exam go for you? hope it went well.

Oh thanks, it went ok. Zacken said my scores added up to about 90, which is good (but not an S I don't think). I only got one full though, but hopefully I've scraped as many marks as possible in my partials.

How about you? S perhaps? :smile:
Oh thanks, it went ok. Zacken said my scores added up to about 90, which is good (but not an S I don't think). I only got one full though, but hopefully I've scraped as many marks as possible in my partials.

Yeh S perhaps. Got 4 fulls and a few partials hoping it adds to 95 but most likely on the lower side of 90 which probably won't be an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh S perhaps. Got 4 fulls and a few partials hoping it adds to 95 but most likely on the lower side of 90 which probably won't be an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the offer S,1? Either way I think if you get a 1 in III they'd probably accept you, I mean they're unlikely to accept a 2,1 or a 1,2 as opposed to a 1,1 from you even if your offer was S,1.
Was the offer S,1? Either way I think if you get a 1 in III they'd probably accept you, I mean they're unlikely to accept a 2,1 or a 1,2 as opposed to a 1,1 from you even if your offer was S,1.

It is S,1 in any order. Yes, I think they will accept if I only get 1,1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also have the habit of not finishing last parts of questions due to timing myself to spend max 30 minutes on each question. I am thinking of changing my exam technique for STEP III though, or at least making sure I do last parts in 30-35 minutes. I feel like getting 6 solutions down is more beneficial than not finishing last parts of the questions, as long as last parts are not worth as much, so not gonna go my way to spending more than 35 minutes on each question otherwise I would risk getting only 5 solutions on my script. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
I also have the habit of not finishing last parts of questions due to timing myself to spend max 30 minutes on each question. I am thinking of changing my exam technique for STEP III though, or at least making sure I do last parts in 30-35 minutes. I feel like getting 6 solutions down is more beneficial than not finishing last parts of the questions, as long as last parts are not worth as much, so not gonna go my way to spending more than 35 minutes on each question otherwise I would risk getting only 5 solutions on my script. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this whole 'attempt 6 but unable to complete many questions' thing for both I and II this year, which is strange because in basically all of my (25 ish?) mocks I get mostly fulls but not 6 Qs. Not sure if this is because of my psychology for the actual exams or that these ones are just harder to complete.
So yeah basically I think my mindset changed to the one you've mentioned here just for these exams lol, I never usually attempt 6 Qs.

STEP III however the absolute priority is to get a 1, so certainly not going to 'restrict' myself to 30 mins per Q, I managed to get a very good 1 in last years paper from spending 45 mins on the first Q and 45 mins on the second, but they were 39 marks in total which was worth it.
If I for some reason could attempt 6 that would be ideal, but not aiming for it.

Honestly I don't know how hard these questions are gonna be, so I would recommend just using your own judgement in the exam and decide whether or not it's worth trying to finish a question or move on (which is where experience from mocks comes in).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending