The Student Room Group

New Maths GCSE 9-1 Sample Question Confused?!

I was looking through my revision guide and this question looked easy until i tried it:
"A ship sails 12km on a bearing of 050°, then 20km on a bearing of 100°. It then sails directly back to its starting position. CALCULATE this distance to 1 d.p."

Anyone know how to do this without any drawings but only using the sine/cosine rule?
Original post by NothingButWaleed
I was looking through my revision guide and this question looked easy until i tried it:
"A ship sails 12km on a bearing of 050°, then 20km on a bearing of 100°. It then sails directly back to its starting position. CALCULATE this distance to 1 d.p."

Anyone know how to do this without any drawings but only using the sine/cosine rule?

It's a cosine rule question
Sketch the information and use your sketch and knowledge of bearing/parallel line angle facts to work out the angle between the 12 and 20 km lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
It's a cosine rule question
Sketch the information and use your sketch and knowledge of bearing/parallel line angle facts to work out the angle between the 12 and 20 km lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait I dont fully follow...
Could you give me an example please?
Thanks!
image.jpeg
Wait I dont fully follow...
Could you give me an example please?
Thanks!
image.jpeg

I figured out how to work out the right question mark but no hope for the left one...
How do you work out the "?" angle?
I figured out how to work out the right question mark but no hope for the left one...
How do you work out the "?" angle?

You need to revise parallel line angle facts.
Alternate angles are equal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know those rules but if i used them the interior angles is 210 degrees which it cant be as angles add up to 180 in a triangle thats why im confused!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no never mind I figured out my mistake yeah i got it at the end thanks for our help!!

Quick Reply

Latest