The Student Room Group

A-Levels

If I have standard grades at GCSE C/B with a few re-takes, and I get 4A*'s at A-Level would Birmingham University accept me for Chemical Engineering or Physics degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shazen
If I have standard grades at GCSE C/B with a few re-takes, and I get 4A*'s at A-Level would Birmingham University accept me for Chemical Engineering or Physics degrees?

4 A* im so sure they would accept u, i mean thats really high grades in order to get, so i am sure u may get through, oh and also have u checked out the website for the university and looked at the degree, as they would have told u the entry requirements :smile:
Original post by x-bhakti-patel
4 A* im so sure they would accept u, i mean thats really high grades in order to get, so i am sure u may get through, oh and also have u checked out the website for the university and looked at the degree, as they would have told u the entry requirements :smile:

Yeah their A-Level requirements are A*AA or AAAA
Original post by Shazen
Yeah their A-Level requirements are A*AA or AAAA

Then, u have nothing to worry about, i am sure that u will get in, as u said that u got the grades required so u should be ok, as most univerisities only check ur A-levels and if u get high grades, you are more likely to get in, so dont worry :smile:
Reply 5
4 A*'s is good enough for Imperial and Oxford. Honestly GCSE's are not nearly as important as A levels.
Original post by x-bhakti-patel
Then, u have nothing to worry about, i am sure that u will get in, as u said that u got the grades required so u should be ok, as most univerisities only check ur A-levels and if u get high grades, you are more likely to get in, so dont worry :smile:

Thanks for your help
Original post by 130398
4 A*'s is good enough for Imperial and Oxford. Honestly GCSE's are not nearly as important as A levels.

So you think Birmingham would accept me despite my GCSE's?
Original post by Shazen
Thanks for your help

its ok :smile:
Most unis don't really look at your GCSEs (unless you are applying to Oxford/Cambridge, medicine, dentistry or veterinary). However, a lot of the Russel group ask for a minimum of a B in English and Maths for competitive courses.
Original post by sfarquhar0
Most unis don't really look at your GCSEs (unless you are applying to Oxford/Cambridge, medicine, dentistry or veterinary). However, a lot of the Russel group ask for a minimum of a B in English and Maths for competitive courses.

Ok thanks!
Original post by Shazen

Highly likely you would get in, A-levels is much harder than GCSEs so stay motivated and make sure you achieve your goal. All the best and pray that you get in!
Reply 13
Original post by Shazen
So you think Birmingham would accept me despite my GCSE's?

Yes I do. I would however recommend you resit 2 or 3 GCSE's to get A* (if you aim for 4 A* at a level ,which is incredibly hard, you must at least aim for all A's and A*'s at IGCSE but given the situation resiting all the IGCSE's isn't an option as I take it).
I have 2 A*'s 3 A's 3'Bs and 1 C at IGCSE but for As I got 5 A's and predicted A* A* A A for A2. This is plenty enough for Bath and UCL as I got offers from the two (didn't apply to Imperial or Oxbridge). A levels are more important but having some consistency helps too, it seems that Bristol (which wa suppose to be my insurance) rejected me because of them despite my good As grades.
So retake some IGCSE's to get an A* (should be easy given your aims) and see how you go. Maybe take 3 A2 levels and not 4.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Highly likely you would get in, A-levels is much harder than GCSEs so stay motivated and make sure you achieve your goal. All the best and pray that you get in!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by 130398
Yes I do. I would however recommend you resit 2 or 3 GCSE's to get A* (if you aim for 4 A* at a level ,which is incredibly hard, you must at least aim for all A's and A*'s at IGCSE but given the situation resiting all the IGCSE's isn't an option as I take it).
I have 2 A*'s 3 A's 3'Bs and 1 C at IGCSE but for As I got 5 A's and predicted A* A* A A for A2. This is plenty enough for Bath and UCL as I got offers from the two (didn't apply to Imperial or Oxbridge). A levels are more important but having some consistency helps too, it seems that Bristol (which wa suppose to be my insurance) rejected me because of them despite my good As grades.
So retake some IGCSE's to get an A* (should be easy given your aims) and see how you go. Maybe take 3 A2 levels and not 4.

Alright thanks, should I re-sit like the important ones like say if I didn't get an A* in Maths should I re-sit that?
I did but it doesn't say anything about GCSE's.
Oh ok yeah that's fine, do you think ill have a have of getting in?

Quick Reply

Latest