The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
The gun show loophole doesn't exist

[video]https://youtu.be/UEihkjKNhN8[/video]

It's called the gun-show loophole but it actually covers all private sale. Only 18 states (+ DC) have any restrictions in private sales. The other 32 states don't require any checks or a permit for private sales.

Nice try.

*Edit Also note when trying to buy fully automatic guns one guy says *oh no I don't have a class III license... automatic guns are relatively rare in the US but it is perfectly possibly for a normal citizen to own one in many states.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
It's called the gun-show loophole but it actually covers all private sale. Only 18 states (+ DC) have any restrictions in private sales. The other 32 states don't require any checks or a permit for private sales.

Nice try.

He went to where Obama said he could get a gun without a background check because of the gun show loophole and failed.
Reply 182
Original post by VV Cephei A
The majority of gun deaths are suicides, followed by gang related homicides. The number of accidental shootings or murders by family members make up <5% of total gun deaths. Their claim was utter horseshit, as expected of gun control advocates.
Where the relationship to the victim is known, about half are family members.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide

Could you link to the source of your claim. Thanks.

If you don't think the right to keep and bear arms, and the protection it allows of all other rights and freedoms, was a fundamental part of the US Constitution, you are far too ignorant to bother reasoning with.
This is the problem with trying to discuss this with the "2nd amendment! **** you!" brigade. They are usually idiots with little to no knowledge, and an almost sexual need to possess guns.

The Constitution was ratified in June 1788. The 2nd Amendment was added 31/2 years later. Therefore it cannot be a "fundamental part" of the constitution, added at a later date. QED.
(Fundamental: serving as an original or generating source - Merriam-Webster)

If you are interested in the meaning of well regulated militia, have a read of this:
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm
Hint: It did not mean "regulated by the government".
So, who regulates the "militia" that all these gun owners are members of? Hmm?

Reply 183
We're on page 8 and not one gun control advocate has presented anything other than crybaby emotional outbursts void of evidence or reason. I think this says a lot for the quality of anti-gun arguments!
As Jim Jeffries said, "There is only one argument for rejecting gun control, and that's "**** off! I like guns!""

And as he also said, not a very good argument, but it's all you've got.
On the other hand, there is a wealth of academic studies from the US that show gun ownership increases the likelihood of gun death.
Unfortunately, most gun nuts are unaware of these studies, because they can't read.
Reply 184
Most democratic Western European countries actually have quite high rates of firearm ownership- see Switzerland, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Germany to name a few. All of these nations have considerably lower crime rates than the UK. But you didn't know that did you, because your knowledge about gun ownership goes no further than what you saw on a BBC news article about an American school shooting.

History has shown us that gun control has been one of the first steps taken during tyranny and genocide, not democracy and freedom. Free, democratic nations (even the UK prior to the past 50 or so years) have always permitted individual ownership of firearms as a fundamental right.

Your ignorance is, quite frankly, astounding.
*sigh* That's because of the nature of gun control laws.

It is not about completely banning private ownership of guns. It is about controlling who can have what type of gun, and how easy it is for them to get them.

It really isn't that difficult to understand. For most people.

Example: It is possible for a US citizen with suspected terrorism links to be put on a no-fly list. But it is not possible to stop them from buying as many guns and as much ammo as they want. At 1:50...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSEoVkl0W30
And this was a week before the Orlando attack!
Now, do you still claim that such a system is rational?
Reply 185
One gun per 3 or so people is relatively high. For comparison, the UK's gun ownership rate is around 5 per 100, or one in 20.

This is the part where you need to explain to me how these European nations are considerably safer than the UK despite having between 6-8 times higher rates of gun ownership.
What are you on about? Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Finland and Norway all have higher gun homicide rates than the UK.
Reply 186
Original post by L i b
I'm not entirely sure how that follows.

On the whole, I think your argument here is rather weak. Ultimately having dangerous things in a home means it is more likely unpleasant things will happen - but there are plenty of steps to take to prevent that. What we see in the United States is guns left lying around in a way no-one in this country would ever conceive of doing. In part, that's because they're more common and treated less cautiously - in part, it's also because some people are idiots.
My point was, if an intruder comes into your house at night, you are going to have to ask them to wait while you get out of bed, go to the safe, unlock it, and get your gun (probably having to load it first), before challenging them.

More importantly, studies in the US have shown that keeping a gun in the home makes you much more likely to be shot than someone without a gun. And the number of home intruders that have been successfully challenged by gun toting home owners is negligable in the context of the number of homicides of family members and partners by those same gun toting home owners.
THE BAD GUYS ALREADY HAVE THEM why is limiting good peoples defence a solution to that?
Original post by banterboy
THE BAD GUYS ALREADY HAVE THEM why is limiting good peoples defence a solution to that?

The bad guys would have their guns taken away if prohibition took place. Then do you jnow how expensive guns would be on the black market? And then do you not realise how difficult it would be to access the black market? Not every mentally ****ed ****nugget could walk into a corner shop and pick up a semi automatic assault rifle and shoot up a school.

As for defence, the only reason one would want a gun is for shits and giggles, bexause they think they're cool. I.e. they arent called "defence rifles" are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because leftists don't acknowledge that some people lie and act sneaky.
Original post by Lime-man
The bad guys would have their guns taken away if prohibition took place. Then do you jnow how expensive guns would be on the black market? And then do you not realise how difficult it would be to access the black market? Not every mentally ****ed ****nugget could walk into a corner shop and pick up a semi automatic assault rifle and shoot up a school.

As for defence, the only reason one would want a gun is for shits and giggles, bexause they think they're cool. I.e. they arent called "defence rifles" are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There would be millions of guns on the black market, with Mexico next door, they would be cheap.
Original post by The_Opinion
There would be millions of guns on the black market, with Mexico next door, they would be cheap.

So any aspie or inbred would be able to pick up a gun quickly and easily without having to spend much at all? I didnt think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol no way the state could take away every gun, they would onyl get law abiding people's guns and the black market would be saturated/

If you want to know how safe gun free zones are ask the people in the Orlando night club who by law weren't allowed to defend themselves from massacre.
So any aspie or inbred would be able to pick up a gun quickly and easily without having to spend much at all? I didnt think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you want an IQ test on gun ownership?
lol no way the state could take away every gun, they would onyl get law abiding people's guns and the black market would be saturated/

If you want to know how safe gun free zones are ask the people in the Orlando night club who by law weren't allowed to defend themselves from massacre.

Yes no way whatsoever, like even though its happened in every other country where guns have been outlawed it could never happen in the usa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Opinion
So you want an IQ test on gun ownership?

No i want guns prohibited. Theres no reason to have a gun other than to make your dick feel bigger. If you want protection then support prohibition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes no way whatsoever, like even though its happened in every other country where guns have been outlawed it could never happen in the usa

Posted from TSR Mobile

i hardly think there are as many guns in those countries as in america.

But ill grant you everything your argument assumes: every gun will be removed in a blink of an eye. There will magically be a non existent back market. Okay.

Who pays a lot of money on the black market to get a gun? A law abiding citizen who wants one, or a criminal who NEEDS one to commit his crime? hmm.
No i want guns prohibited. Theres no reason to have a gun other than to make your dick feel bigger. If you want protection then support prohibition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you want to punish the majority for the actions of a small minority?

Then by that logic surely you think Islam should be banned in the US as well.
Original post by Grand High Witch
I am pro-full gun control as in the UK, but even if America is to retain its right to bear arms, why is this not limited to basic handguns only? Why are automatic rifles available for sale? What possible purpose could buying an automatic rifle serve?

Because it's the land of the free. Where they are free to kill each other in impulsive and horrible ways. Hoorah for Liberty!
i hardly think there are as many guns in those countries as in america.

But ill grant you everything your argument assumes: every gun will be removed in a blink of an eye. There will magically be a non existent back market. Okay.

Who pays a lot of money on the black market to get a gun? A law abiding citizen who wants one, or a criminal who NEEDS one to commit his crime? hmm.

Australia...

I never said that prohibition would happen in the blink of an eye...

Who can walk down the local gun store to buy a gun? Bloody anyone, no matter their intentions. If a criminal can save up thousands of dollars to buy a gun on the black market then they're probably not mad and impulsive enough to shoot up a school. A law abiding citizen isnt a law abiding citizen if theyre buying a gun on the black market.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending