The Student Room Group

is it ok to write therefore as three dots in exams???!!!?

So in maths it's normal to write therefore as three dots in a kind of triangle shape - does anyone know if you would get marked down in a chemistry exam for writing therefore like this?? Or any other kind of science exam.
Original post by Nadia.barakat
So in maths it's normal to write therefore as three dots in a kind of triangle shape - does anyone know if you would get marked down in a chemistry exam for writing therefore like this?? Or any other kind of science exam.

why take the risk, for 2 seconds to write therefore. Don't give the examiner any reason to mark down
I did it in my maths exams and it all went well.
Not sure about doing it in a Chem exam though.
Reply 3
It'll be fine, since it's a well known symbol. Best if you restrict it to only the mathematical questions, try not to use it in the worded answer questions.

You'll never be marked down for it, unless it's a QWC question.
Dude I did it in all my exams (chem, Phys, maths)
I'm pretty sure it's fine bruh

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 5
Sometimes I don't even write the words in Physics, I just use the mathematical notations.

Though if it says ''quality of written communication will be assessed...'' then write the actual word.
Reply 6
In an essay question I wouldn't. But short answers and maths questions it's okay in any science. I just wouldn't do it in humanities or social sciences.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I did it in my maths exams and it all went well.
Not sure about doing it in a Chem exam though.
what about & instead of and
probably better just to write 'therefore' in science exams rather than three dots, i'm not sure how they take it :/
Original post by Pablo Picasso
what about & instead of and

I think the actual word is better.
I wouldnt use the symbol
it is also an Illuminati symbol of power... what could go wrong ?
Original post by Nadia.barakat
That's because it is part of the system of mathematical notation. Chemistry, however, isn't notated using that system, so that symbol would be out-of-place.

Quick Reply

Latest