The Student Room Group

Biology B3 predictions - Edexcel 20 June 2016

Anyone have any ideas on what could come up this year? Possible six markers? I thought maybe a six marker linked to animal or plant communication/co-evolution as they've never done a six marker on that?
I think there might be a 6 marker on the structure of a nephron, it seems suitable
Original post by Mermaidqueen
I think there might be a 6 marker on the structure of a nephron, it seems suitable

Yess I think its going to be the nephron structure. They have never asked on the nephron structure
Thanks for the predictions

14 minutes ago

What is a culture medium and how is that different to a culture?

Also with the fungus fusarium, is it used to produce mycoprotein or is it mycoprotein and needs to be put into a fermenter to grow it?

Also why does Fusarium need to respire aerobically?

Original post by TSR778899

What is a culture medium and how is that different to a culture?

culture medium is what the microorganisms are actually grown in whereas culture is the suitable conditions for their growth.

Also with the fungus fusarium, is it used to produce mycoprotein or is it mycoprotein and needs to be put into a fermenter to grow it?

mycoprotein is made from fusarium fungus - so its the fusarium in the fermenter

Also why does Fusarium need to respire aerobically?

oxygen is a factor it needs to grow/multiply successfully, so remember when in a fermenter if it needs oxygen then sterile air is fed through the spargar at the bottom of the fermenter (the spargar is a perforated metal disk) the air is sterile because it needs to be done in aseptic conditions

Hope this helps!
Original post by caitlinford3
Hope this helps!

Thanks this was very helpful
Reply 8
Hi, if the structure of the nephron did come up, would we need to mention the specific names of the tubes and loops, like loop of Henle? Or just describe ultrafiltration, reabsorption etc in detail? Because I know the processes really well, but I don't quite know how to mention the loops and that into it. Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by hegsm1
Hi, if the structure of the nephron did come up, would we need to mention the specific names of the tubes and loops, like loop of Henle? Or just describe ultrafiltration, reabsorption etc in detail? Because I know the processes really well, but I don't quite know how to mention the loops and that into it. Good luck everyone :smile:

Yes, just like the involvement of the glomerulus and the bowman's capsules in ultrafiltration, mention the sizes of molecules - that only small sized molecules diffuse into the nephron. Then the selective reabsorption of water (dependent on ADH levels), salts & all of the glucose. And include the structures where reabsorption occurs - the loop of Henlé and the convoluted tubules. Then finally talk about the release of waste substances (urea, excess water etc) through the collecting duct, then the ureters, into the bladder and past through the urethra as urine. Just talk about this but in more detail:biggrin: Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 10
Original post by J__
Yes, just like the involvement of the glomerulus and the bowman's capsules in ultrafiltration, mention the sizes of molecules - that only small sized molecules diffuse into the nephron. Then the selective reabsorption of water (dependent on ADH levels), salts & all of the glucose. And include the structures where reabsorption occurs - the loop of Henlé and the convoluted tubules. Then finally talk about the release of waste substances (urea, excess water etc) through the collecting duct, then the ureters, into the bladder and past through the urethra as urine. Just talk about this but in more detail:biggrin: Good luck for tomorrow!

Really appreciate all of that :biggrin:Thank you so much! You too :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by hegsm1
Really appreciate all of that :biggrin:Thank you so much! You too :smile:

No problem, its helping me with my revision as well!:biggrin:
Has anyone got the perfect answer about co-evolution and structure of nephron? (just in case if there is a six marker on it)
what is crown gall and leaf discs when talking about agrobacterium tumefacians?? Someone please help ASAAAP
Reply 14
A nephron is collection of thousands of microscopic tubules present in the kidney
There are 3 stages of how the kidney filters urea and other substances out of the blood.

1) Filtration
Blood travels through the renal artery and reaches to the glomerulus. The blood contains urea (solid made in the liver where amino acids react with co2 to make urea) ,water,glucose,red blood cells and proteins. The glomurulus is a network of capillaries and is present inside the bowmans capsule. The bowmans capsulle has tiny holes to let small molecules pass through like urea,glucose,water. These small molecules then diffuse into it and go through the convoluted tubules and henlest tube. The larger molecules like the red blood cells and glucose stay in the blood and are taken by the renal vein towards the heart.

2) Selective reabsorption of glucose and excess water
While the fluids flow through the convoluted tubules some useful substances like glucose and the water get reabsorbed back into the blood. Almost all glucose and all water molecules are reabsorbed. This is called selective reabsorption. The amount of water reabsorbed depends on how much the body needs. This is called osmoregulation

3) Removal of excess water in urine
At the end of the nephron the urea and remaining water go to the ureter (it takes urine from kidneys to bladder). The urea dissolves in the water to form urine.
How did it go? what did everyone get for the percentage decrease?
Original post by astronomer99
How did it go? what did everyone get for the percentage decrease?

53%
How did everyone one find B3 higher?
Reply 18
In the fermentation question that asked what gas is added for the growth. What was the answer? I put oxygen then changed it to nitrogen in the last 10 mins of the exam:s-smilie:! Because oxygen is added but for respiration. But I know nitrates are added which are converted to nitrogen for growth
Original post by hegsm1
In the fermentation question that asked what gas is added for the growth. What was the answer? I put oxygen then changed it to nitrogen in the last 10 mins of the exam:s-smilie:! Because oxygen is added but for respiration. But I know nitrates are added which are converted to nitrogen for growth

hgsm1 I suppose the examiner would allow nitrogen because I put ammonia supplying a source of oxygen and a source of nitrogen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending