The Student Room Group

Switzerland withdraws longstanding application to join EU

The upper house of the Swiss parliament on Wednesday voted to invalidate its 1992 application to join the European Union, backing an earlier decision by the lower house. The vote comes just a week before Britain decides whether to leave the EU in a referendum.Twenty-seven members of the upper house, the Council of States, voted to cancel Switzerland’s longstanding EU application, versus just 13 senators against. Two abstained.

Is the EU dream starting to become a nightmare?
If the UK leaves the EU Will probably fall apart over the next 20 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by martinnmartin
If the UK leaves the EU Will probably fall apart over the next 20 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it'll take 20 years for the EU to collapse if the UK remains in the EU.

It'll take 5-10 years for the EU to collapse if the UK leaves the EU.

This only a prediction though based on a potential "Domino Effect" after a Brexit.
Why would anyone want to be in the EU, in its current state? Plleeeaaaaase EU, inflict Turks and Middle Eastern/North African migrants upon us!!!
Original post by MildredMalone
Why would anyone want to be in the EU, in its current state? Plleeeaaaaase EU, inflict Turks and Middle Eastern/North African migrants upon us!!!

Because EUistan
Original post by MildredMalone

Original post by physicsphysics91
Because EUistan

The EU hasn't done either of those two things.
Original post by SHallowvale
The EU hasn't done either of those two things.

You are lying, typical leftist. The EU is forcing nations to except migrants, if not, they will be heavily fined.
Original post by The_Opinion
You are lying, typical leftist. The EU is forcing nations to except migrants, if not, they will be heavily fined.

Could you provide some evidence for that?

I wasn't aware that the EU even had the power to force Turkish and Middle Eastern/Northern African migrants into the UK.
Could you provide some evidence for that?

I wasn't aware that the EU even had the power to force Turkish and Middle Eastern/Northern African migrants into the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/eu-to-fine-countries-that-refuse-refugee-quota/

The UK has an opt out over policies like this, which it has already used. Ireland and Denmark also have the same opt outs.

As before, the EU cannot force us to accept refugees.
The UK has an opt out over policies like this, which it has already used. Ireland and Denmark also have the same opt outs.

As before, the EU cannot force us to accept refugees.

I am talking about the EU in general, those migrants will eventually have the right to come to the UK.

Also, the EU's proxy the ECoHR forces the migrants, with their rulings.
Original post by The_Opinion
I am talking about the EU in general, those migrants will eventually have the right to come to the UK.

Also, the EU's proxy the ECoHR forces the migrants, with their rulings.

I asked about the UK, not the EU in general.

Besides the quota system doesn't exist at the moment, I don't even think that there has even been a vote on it.

Can you explain the last part?
I asked about the UK, not the EU in general.

Besides the quota system doesn't exist at the moment, I don't even think that there has even been a vote on it.

Can you explain the last part?

ECoHR prevents the deportation of large amount of migrants, doe to their classifications of countries being dangerous. Migrants know this, and as a result, they lie and say that they are from certain countries.

Eg. a black guy says he is Syrian, everyone knows its not true, but cant be deported as it cant be proven that he is not Syrian.

There are also many other cases where criminals cant be deported http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/06/eu-rules-stopped-britain-deporting-murders-rapists-and-violent-c/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending