STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Don't worry, I'm not actually banned :biggrin:

Just removed my avatar, and changed my text thingy :tongue:

Btw, if I were banned, the posts would have been removed from the history

Yeah, I am TSR newbie. Sorry about that. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Photo on 19-06-2016 at 13.17.jpg @Mathemagicien. Looked at your solution to 8 and it seems I've had completely wrong idea about the approximations. Would I get anything or?
Newbie? "Joined March 2015" :tongue:

Why are you apologising lol?

You'd have thought that TSR would distinguish banned users more clearly, so that un-banned users can't pretend to be banned - just like they do with the Community Team and Support Team

Newbie is just a phrase m8. I guess I should've said "I am unknowledgeable of this banned trend."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't know, but I'd imagine you'd lose quite a few marks, if this is what you wrote in the exam, sorry

Fair enough cheers. How many do you think the approximations were in total?
Reply 1964
Can anyone explain the intuition behind the theorem on cyclic quadrilaterals in III 2009 q6? And how many marks would that last part be worth?
Original post by Cnoel
Can anyone explain the intuition behind the theorem on cyclic quadrilaterals in III 2009 q6? And how many marks would that last part be worth?

Not very many at all.
All those 4 e^i whatevers have modulus 1 so all lie on a circle (forming a cyclic quadrilateral by definition). You've proven a relationship between the distances between then and since you can multiply the result by any positive real number the theorem for all cyclic quadrilaterals (Ptolemy's Theorem) follows.
Reply 1966
Original post by matthewdjones
Fair enough cheers. How many do you think the approximations were in total?

Probs two each.
How was I supposed to do STEP III Q8 2010, the first line?
Reply 1968
Original post by EricPiphany
How was I supposed to do STEP III Q8 2010, the first line?

Notice that it's the quotient rule. i.e: the integrand is the derivative of R(x) / Q(x).
Original post by Zacken
Notice that it's the quotient rule. i.e: the integrand is the derivative of R(x) / Q(x).

Ye I had a look at a solution. I just couldn't manage it without that realisation. I'll just have to keep an open mind for these types of things.
Reply 1970
Anyone know if we'd lose any marks for using an equal sign with 2 lines rather than one with 3 when 3 is appropriate (e.g. when simplifying)? I've only been using the two-lined one unless three lines are used in the question and I assumed they wouldn't care
Original post by jweo
Anyone know if we'd lose any marks for using an equal sign with 2 lines rather than one with 3 when 3 is appropriate (e.g. when simplifying)? I've only been using the two-lined one unless three lines are used in the question and I assumed they wouldn't care

Pretty sure they wouldn't care (unless it was some dodgy question about the differences between equal signs).
Just did a STEP iii 2013 mock (it was definitely a pain but it seemed very possible to avoid vectors and complex numbers thankfully - did q1,2,5(partial),7,12 so am fairly happy. In q7(the not so nice DE), I did all of it but part (iii) completely. In part (iii) I did manage to find E(x) though and differentiated that - just didn't show the inequality. Any idea what I might lose?
Reply 1973
Original post by tridianprime
Just did a STEP iii 2013 mock (it was definitely a pain but it seemed very possible to avoid vectors and complex numbers thankfully - did q1,2,5(partial),7,12 so am fairly happy. In q7(the not so nice DE), I did all of it but part (iii) completely. In part (iii) I did manage to find E(x) though and differentiated that - just didn't show the inequality. Any idea what I might lose?

Look at the OP (section 5 iirc), there's a markscheme for III 2013 available, why don't you use that?
Original post by Zacken
Look at the OP (section 5 iirc), there's a markscheme for III 2013 available, why don't you use that?

Thanks, didn't realise.
Original post by tridianprime

did this paper recently myself and yeah vectors and complex numbers were horrible but for me the three mechanics Qs were pretty easy (got 15,20,20 for those) but I messed up Q7 about D.E (got just 7 marks) - i guess I didnt completely get the point. The other two Qs I did were 1 and 2 (got 18,15 for those)
Hope the coming up STEP 3 brings with it some easy mechanics as well (as Siklos is probably gonna come up with some horrible vectors and complex numbers in pure :tongue:)
Why would you want to avoid complex numbers? :frown:

complex numbers isnt one of my strengths haha- also I did FP2 last year and so havent really been in complex numbers for a while

EDIT : Just realised you werent quoting me (as I also said something about complex numbers) lol...
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it just me, or is STEP 3 a whole order of magnitude tougher than STEP 2. I didy first mock today, and ooh, it was a whole new ballgame
Why would you want to avoid complex numbers? :frown:

I don't mind complex numbers even though it's not my strongest topic, but a lot of the time they're paired up with vectors so I don't do them.
Things like III 2013 Q6 are fine though :smile:.
Original post by krishdesai7
Is it just me, or is STEP 3 a whole order of magnitude tougher than STEP 2. I didy first mock today, and ooh, it was a whole new ballgame

Afaik they're meant to be of similar difficulty, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending