The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Modules

Can someone explain how an A Level in maths works, like what options for modules and stuff is there and how many do I need to do? I have also seen that you can take Further Pure in A Level but then I am confused as to what you take in Further Maths.
Original post by MaxHSloan
Can someone explain how an A Level in maths works, like what options for modules and stuff is there and how many do I need to do? I have also seen that you can take Further Pure in A Level but then I am confused as to what you take in Further Maths.

The best thing is to have a read of the specification. It explains everything about the units, what they cover and how many you take.
The current Edexcel one is here:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
The best thing is to have a read of the specification. It explains everything about the units, what they cover and how many you take.
The current Edexcel one is here:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cheers. Out of the ones you can chose which do you think are easiest?
Ok cheers. Out of the ones you can chose which do you think are easiest?

You have to do C1-C4
I personally think S1&S2 or S1&D1 are the easiest combinations of optional units unless you are also doing physics in which case any combination of D1/M1/S1
Reply 4

For Maths A level you take 4 Pure Maths units (Core Maths 1-4) and 2 applied Maths units (from Mechanics, Statistics, Decision Maths and sometimes others). Whilst there is a choice of applied Maths units, it is generally your school that chooses, not you.

If you take Further Maths then that requires 6 Further units for the full A level - 2 or 3 more Pure Maths units (FP1 etc) and then a choice of applied units to make 6.

It is possible, but rare, to take a full A level in Pure Maths - this would require C1-4 and then some of the FP units.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
For Maths A level you take 4 Pure Maths units (Core Maths 1-4) and 2 applied Maths units (from Mechanics, Statistics, Decision Maths and sometimes others). Whilst there is a choice of applied Maths units, it is generally your school that chooses, not you.

If you take Further Maths then that requires 6 Further units for the full A level - 2 or 3 more Pure Maths units (FP1 etc) and then a choice of applied units to make 6.

It is possible, but rare, to take a full A level in Pure Maths - this would require C1-4 and then some of the FP units.

I'm not going to be doing it in school that is why I was asking, I'm doing it outside of school and I didn't understand it all. But thanks for the explanation. What would you say are the easiest ones to chose?
Reply 6
I'm not going to be doing it in school that is why I was asking, I'm doing it outside of school and I didn't understand it all. But thanks for the explanation. What would you say are the easiest ones to chose?

I enjoy Mechanics far more (hence I read engineering) but S1 is probably the easiest. Pick D1 if you are doing computing or are very meticulous, pick M1 if you're doing Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest