The Student Room Group

Dresses for Yr11 prom?

So i'm wondering how much you spent on your prom dresses cuz i've just got mine and it sadly cost me a little over 100...is that too much? And how does the cost of your dress compare?

Scroll to see replies

Mine was 50 and my sixth form one 30 but it really depends on know much you like it. I know people who spent way more than you have a good prom 😊
Reply 2
My GCSE one was 80£ and my A-level 40£ :smile: But i have friends that spent 300-400£ on their dresses :O
Mine was £85. I know some girls that spent like £200-£400 on a dress, some returned it the next day and some kept it for memories.

For me, I wasn't too bothered as I'm not really a dress kind of girl, plus I spent more money on my hair.

Have fun at your prom by the way!
(edited 7 years ago)
£0 because im not going :smile:
Reply 5
Don't spend too much money on a dress that you could probably wear only once! Prom is OVERRATED. Just buy something that you like that's in your price range.
i got a dress and its £150 for hire, its fishtail and covered in sequins, and now i wish i didnt get it because its top over the top for me ... :'(
Reply 7
£0 :redface:
Reply 8
Mine was £58. My friend's dresses were much more expensive but if you like the dress i don't see why the price is a big deal :smile:
£00.00
£0. Im just wearing something I already had that cost £10 from the market so .... Its really not worth spending so much money on one night
Where I live we have a prom at the end of year 9 and then at the end of year 13, and my year 9 prom dress was around £175. I was going to get a £300+ dress, but then I found the dress I got that was half the price and almost completely identical ao I got that instead.
But there were people at my prom who spent double/triple what I did, and people spent a lot less than I did. It really just depends on what your budget is and how much you like the dress. You might get and opportunity to wear it again, or it might sit in the back of your wardrobe for years, but you'll be wearing it at prom and you want to make that night as special as possible, including your perfect dress, whether it cost £15 or £300. Wear what you want, what you're comfortable with buying.
Mine cost around £90 I think and I managed to return it afterwards and get my money back. :colone:
There are so many cheaper alternatives now - many retail stores offer a selection of prom stuff too! New Look has a lot of nice stuff as does Quiz. TK Maxx (rarely, in their mod box section) have gorgeous prom stuff. Anyone still looking could easily find one between £30-60.
My cousin is lending me hers so all I have to pay is dry cleaning and a nice pair of shoes. I know some people buying them brand new for £££ but I don't see the point of paying loads if you're only wearing it once. I saw a lot of really nice ones in charity shops too.
Mine was £300. This was literally the cheapest one I could find and girls in my year have spent £600+ on their shoes :colondollar:
Original post by 1998RF
Mine was 50 and my sixth form one 30 but it really depends on know much you like it. I know people who spent way more than you have a good prom 😊

Dang i wish i hadn't spent so much now yikes

Original post by Samonia
My GCSE one was 80£ and my A-level 40£ :smile: But i have friends that spent 300-400£ on their dresses :O

gosh...£300 dress for an evening :O

Original post by GradesUnlocked
Mine was £85. I know some girls that spent like £200-£400 on a dress, some returned it the next day and some kept it for memories.

For me, I wasn't too bothered as I'm not really a dress kind of girl, plus I spent more money on my hair.

Have fun at your prom by the way!

tbh i'm not a dress kind of girl either. in fact i had no idea what dress i was looking for xD i really hadn't intended to spend that much but ah well. Better make the most of it! And thank you, I will definitely try to enjoy the evening :smile:

Original post by sfaraj
£0 because im not going :smile:

good plan i should've stuck to my guns and not succumbed to peer pressure too grrr
Original post by bytheseasons
So i'm wondering how much you spent on your prom dresses cuz i've just got mine and it sadly cost me a little over 100...is that too much? And how does the cost of your dress compare?

Wow, I remember I got my year 11 prom dress off eBay for £20
Original post by dpka1
Don't spend too much money on a dress that you could probably wear only once! Prom is OVERRATED. Just buy something that you like that's in your price range.

ahh well that is very true. Initially, i only wanted to spend less than 100 for a dress because i wasn't too bothered about prom but ofc it somehow didn't end up that way oh dear.

Original post by Michelle15
i got a dress and its £150 for hire, its fishtail and covered in sequins, and now i wish i didnt get it because its top over the top for me ... :'(

oh no! By your description, it sounds incredibly beautiful though, i'm sure you'll look stunning! and although you might regret your decision now, i do hope you enjoy the evening anyway because you've got a lovely dress already :smile:

Original post by megs_13
Mine was £58. My friend's dresses were much more expensive but if you like the dress i don't see why the price is a big deal :smile:

you make a very good point :smile:

Original post by sapphire79
£0. Im just wearing something I already had that cost £10 from the market so .... Its really not worth spending so much money on one night

ooh nice that's a wise decision

Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Where I live we have a prom at the end of year 9 and then at the end of year 13, and my year 9 prom dress was around £175. I was going to get a £300+ dress, but then I found the dress I got that was half the price and almost completely identical ao I got that instead.
But there were people at my prom who spent double/triple what I did, and people spent a lot less than I did. It really just depends on what your budget is and how much you like the dress. You might get and opportunity to wear it again, or it might sit in the back of your wardrobe for years, but you'll be wearing it at prom and you want to make that night as special as possible, including your perfect dress, whether it cost £15 or £300. Wear what you want, what you're comfortable with buying.

well said :smile:
Original post by Mochassassin
Mine cost around £90 I think and I managed to return it afterwards and get my money back. :colone:
There are so many cheaper alternatives now - many retail stores offer a selection of prom stuff too! New Look has a lot of nice stuff as does Quiz. TK Maxx (rarely, in their mod box section) have gorgeous prom stuff. Anyone still looking could easily find one between £30-60.

gah! where were you when i needed you! xD i really should've just consulted tsr before buying a dress it would've saved me so much money :tongue:

Original post by HannahGoodman
My cousin is lending me hers so all I have to pay is dry cleaning and a nice pair of shoes. I know some people buying them brand new for £££ but I don't see the point of paying loads if you're only wearing it once. I saw a lot of really nice ones in charity shops too.

oh that's nice! sounds like you're all set then! i hope you have a lovely prom :smile:

Original post by jazz_xox_
Mine was £300. This was literally the cheapest one I could find and girls in my year have spent £600+ on their shoes :colondollar:

my purse is crying at the sound of those prices :O but i feel you i happened to have settled for the dress i bought which was a bit more expensive than i had planned but it was really the only nice one i could find :redface:
Original post by Platopus
Wow, I remember I got my year 11 prom dress off eBay for £20

tbh i'm a little shook by the price of my dress too :s-smilie: but it was the only nice one i could find

Quick Reply