The Student Room Group

Is it worth investing in a Macbook Pro?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
There is still no info about a new release date. But from the way the new macbooks have gone i would much prefer to go for this generation of macbook pro as they will be more to my liking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a big chance of OLED touch bar.
Definitely Skylake processor = better performance & more efficient= better battery life
Reply 41
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
If you are buying an apple product you are buying a fashion accessory not a quality product, just get a 300 quid notebook from amazon with emphasis on battery life and hd screen.

Did that in summer and after 10 months its broken and being returned to the store for repair... Not a great idea. Fab battery life and nice touch screen but poor processor for needs and not a long lasting machine by any mile... I think your missing the point of why i want to spend a little bit more sadly.

As for the fashion accessory, i see your point, but they really are great machines after having had some experience. Literally a month ago i would have said the same, but now having used one for a while i really do see why so many people like them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
There is a big chance of OLED touch bar.
Definitely Skylake processor = better performance & more efficient= better battery life

That is true, but not feeling the idea of USBc ports and the colours might be a bit ghastly. Would appreciate the hardware updates a lot, not a fan of the touchbar (dont even know why... I seem to hate most things touch nowadays) but could live with it. If only apple could give a release date for this, not sure my current laptop will last that long...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
You could get a Macbook Pro, partially partition and have windows on it too. Perfect
Thanks for all the help everyone, i have decided to bite the bullet and purchase the macbook pro in a few days after i have thought it over some more.

There have been some really interesting (if not slightly single minded) mac vs pc comments on this thread, but people seem to forget that every machine has its perks. And when my boyfriend who builds desktops decides to go for a mac, considering 2 years ago you couldnt get him near them, shows that for our needs as uni students they really are great machines. Definetly not for gamers mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are other reasons to get a PV, but you need to get the one that offers you what you want at a price you cna afford. You seemed sold on a mac anyway, so didnt bother putting up PC alternatives. Just about anyone can build desktops these days.
Reply 45
Original post by 999tigger
There are other reasons to get a PV, but you need to get the one that offers you what you want at a price you cna afford. You seemed sold on a mac anyway, so didnt bother putting up PC alternatives. Just about anyone can build desktops these days.

True true, but from a hardware and software standpoint he knows what he is on about (he loves tech and is constantly on the ball with new stuff... I should know i hear it almost everyday haha), thats for my needs though, im no gamer, i want a sturdy long lasting machine with great battery life for surfing, assignments and videos, i don't game on my laptop and so its not a priority for me, if it was, then hands down i would be in the market for a pc with great processing speeds and good graphics.

Initially i always thought the mac vs pc debate was all about price, but for a decent pc that will be long lasting and has great features like the macbooks, the price is not really lower at all.

Thanks for the input though, i have been thinking this through for a while but think i am 100% set on a pro now ive weighed up my options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True true, but from a hardware and software standpoint he knows what he is on about (he loves tech and is constantly on the ball with new stuff... I should know i hear it almost everyday haha), thats for my needs though, im no gamer, i want a sturdy long lasting machine with great battery life for surfing, assignments and videos, i don't game on my laptop and so its not a priority for me, if it was, then hands down i would be in the market for a pc with great processing speeds and good graphics.

Initially i always thought the mac vs pc debate was all about price, but for a decent pc that will be long lasting and has great features like the macbooks, the price is not really lower at all.

Thanks for the input though, i have been thinking this through for a while but think i am 100% set on a pro now ive weighed up my options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think your view is distorted, but as long as you are happy thats fine. Dont forget your discount and look out for the bargain reductions.
(edited 7 years ago)
So many people trying to justify the macbook price aha, yes it is a great machine and yes it looks beautiful and the customer service for the most part is great but thats why you pay so much money for it. You can get a just as good laptop for around £600 (the ASUS Zenbook UX305 comes to mind) and people who complain about the battery life after 3-4 years on a windows laptop guess what, its going to happen to the mac too. Batteries degraded over time and over charges thats a fact, and I think apple rate their batteries for 1000 cycles which basically means 1000 charges but you'll have to check that.

As for its perfect for a student, yes it is but thats because most students dont do anything that intensive on their laptops so most laptops will be able to handle it.
I know this has been asked a million times but I wanted to ask this question from my perspective.

I currently have a 3 year old hp Pavolion (SPECS: intel core i5, 4gb ram, 500mb HD, basic graphics) which is showing a lot of wear and tear, Its battery life is dire (around 2 hours at best) and it is constantly overheating or running incredibly slowly.

So I am looking around for a new laptop. My boyfriend is a computer science student who is incredibly familiar with this area (he builds his own desktops) and we have both agreed my laptop probably has up to a year of functional use left.
He has a macbook pro 13.3" (retina) for uni and he says for my needs that It would be a really good purchase. I do have the money for a MBP but because it is such a large investment I wanted to know the pros and cons.

I am looking for something which:
- very good battery life
- will last me until the end of uni at least (I have 4 years left)
I am not really going to be using it for anything other than watching videos/lectures online, accessing my university work and word processing. also storage isnt an issue for me because I have a 1TB external hard drive which I have everything on anyway.

any ideas?

Im a computer science student.

For basic use and some vids I would reccomend a
Novatech laptop

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1625.html

Or a

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1624.html

What is your budget?

I have this one which does everything I need as a computer scientist

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/laptops/nnb-clr114.html

If you go do through novatech use topcashback
I know this has been asked a million times but I wanted to ask this question from my perspective.

I currently have a 3 year old hp Pavolion (SPECS: intel core i5, 4gb ram, 500mb HD, basic graphics) which is showing a lot of wear and tear, Its battery life is dire (around 2 hours at best) and it is constantly overheating or running incredibly slowly.

So I am looking around for a new laptop. My boyfriend is a computer science student who is incredibly familiar with this area (he builds his own desktops) and we have both agreed my laptop probably has up to a year of functional use left.
He has a macbook pro 13.3" (retina) for uni and he says for my needs that It would be a really good purchase. I do have the money for a MBP but because it is such a large investment I wanted to know the pros and cons.

- very good battery life
I am not really going to be using it for anything other than watching videos/lectures online, accessing my university work and word processing. also storage isnt an issue for me because I have a 1TB external hard drive which I have everything on anyway.

any ideas?

look at getting one preowned from 2012 or later in somewhere like CEX as you seen they have rapid price deflation and you can buy a mint one from 2012 for £400-500
Original post by jamesthehustler
look at getting one preowned from 2012 or later in somewhere like CEX as you seen they have rapid price deflation and you can buy a mint one from 2012 for £400-500

if she gets a used 2012 macbook pro she'll have the issues with battery life shes having now in 1 year
Not at all pointless, what the new ones will add will be very small in my opinion as always with apple; and hearing the rumors i seem to prefer this current model over the what could be new one, besides time wise i think i get a better deal financially if i buy it during the back to school offer season. A macbook which is one year out of date is really not bad at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure you'll probably get a good discount on one of the current ones, judging from the work you plan to do on it I'm sure they'll be fine for you. But I'm holding out for October, the macbook pro design hasn't changed in 5 years, the next update is set to be a big one. Longer battery life, better processors, thinner, new touchscreen oled display etc...

Original post by ICEN_Prophet
In October? Where did you find this information?
We only can speculate based on various rumours!
tbh I'm slightly stuck right now. I'll get Macbook pro for uni starting in september (I need one) but I stopped myself from getting one like a year ago. I wanted to get the new one and been waiting way too much for it to get the current one.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=macbook+pro+october
Reply 52
Original post by Seytonic
Sure you'll probably get a good discount on one of the current ones, judging from the work you plan to do on it I'm sure they'll be fine for you. But I'm holding out for October, the macbook pro design hasn't changed in 5 years, the next update is set to be a big one. Longer battery life, better processors, thinner, new touchscreen oled display etc...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=macbook+pro+october

the battery life and better processors are a real plus but the USBc, oled touchbar and possiblility of a touch screen is not appealing at all to me, not sure why but weighing up the rumours against the current model I prefer the current model (which is strange because im usually the opposite with the iphones), my biggest worry is that they go down the macbook route and start removing valuable ports and sacrificing other things for a thinner laptop. Thanks for the info though.

I have decided im just going to get the 2015 model, its not that outdated and for what I want it will 100% meet my needs for many years to come (especially because im buying a new one), also currently the back to school offer is really good so I may as well get some more out of the purchase whilst I can.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you are buying an apple product you are buying a fashion accessory not a quality product, just get a 300 quid notebook from amazon with emphasis on battery life and hd screen.

Really? Could've fooled me, 3 years down the line and generic manufacturers have only just recently started producing cheaper options of a similar spec to what I bought in 2013.

You are clearly someone who cannot afford anything more than a cheapo notebook and thus automatically see mac's as overpriced fashion accessories.
Original post by iainvg
Really? Could've fooled me, 3 years down the line and generic manufacturers have only just recently started producing cheaper options of a similar spec to what I bought in 2013.

You are clearly someone who cannot afford anything more than a cheapo notebook and thus automatically see mac's as overpriced fashion accessories.

I've owned a mac before and could but 20 if I wanted to but I want to buy something for functionality. You are clearly someone who is arrogant and thinks he is far superior to others.

- very good battery life

any ideas?

yes get a macbook pro - i have one and its just so damn nice to use compared to other brands
I bought one back in 2014 and it still works like a charm. It's perfect for students imo. If you have the money then I would definitely recommend it.
My macbook pro has been going strong for 5 years now and it's still very good! It has slowed down but that's to be expected from a 5 year old machine running the latest OS and only having 4gb ram (Silly me 5 years ago). I would deffo recommend them and I can't see that I'd ever go back to windows because they don't last 5 minutes. I'm currently waiting for the new macbook pro that's hopefully coming out soon! I was really hoping it would be announced at the wwdc :frown:
I've owned a mac before and could but 20 if I wanted to but I want to buy something for functionality. You are clearly someone who is arrogant and thinks he is far superior to others.

No, I'm fed up of the BS posted about what is essentially a bundle of hardware in a shell. Most logical people don't buy them for how they look, but how they function. I've been building my own PC's for nearly 2 decades, for desktops I won't touch Macs. However for laptops, Macbook Pro's will always trump anything made by Dell/HP/Lenovo.

I used to use Dell Latitude and then Precision, but as they started to progressively get more and more expensive (at time of purchase for my current, a lesser specced top model dell precision cost nearly £2000 more than a better specced top model MBP), and much larger and heavier with no real justifiable gains in performance it became more appropriate to go for the comparatively *cheaper* MBP's.

Not to mention that with where I work, the machines that are rarely seen are mac's with issues. Yet every week during term time, at least one student with an issue with generic manufacturer laptop. Usually a hardware failure of some description, quite often a fatal one at that.

Not bias, realistic representation.

Something that you definitely DO NOT have.
Original post by iainvg
No, I'm fed up of the BS posted about what is essentially a bundle of hardware in a shell. Most logical people don't buy them for how they look, but how they function. I've been building my own PC's for nearly 2 decades, for desktops I won't touch Macs. However for laptops, Macbook Pro's will always trump anything made by Dell/HP/Lenovo.

I used to use Dell Latitude and then Precision, but as they started to progressively get more and more expensive (at time of purchase for my current, a lesser specced top model dell precision cost nearly £2000 more than a better specced top model MBP), and much larger and heavier with no real justifiable gains in performance it became more appropriate to go for the comparatively *cheaper* MBP's.

Not to mention that with where I work, the machines that are rarely seen are mac's with issues. Yet every week during term time, at least one student with an issue with generic manufacturer laptop. Usually a hardware failure of some description, quite often a fatal one at that.

Not bias, realistic representation.

Something that you definitely DO NOT have.

Dude, its fine, suit yourself, but I personally would not spend £400 extra on a brand name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending