The Student Room Group

Reduced maintenance loan for final year

Hi there,

Having spoken with a SFE representative over the phone, it is to my understanding that the amount of maintenance loan a student is granted for their final year is less than their 1st and penultimate year because the summer period is not covered by SFE.

As this is the first time I have heard about this, it has come as quite a shock. This means my maintenance loan for 2016/17 has been reduced by £2,232. Is this amount correct/normal?
Also, does anyone knows how this reduction is calculated exactly? I have tried searching online for an answer so that I can work out precisely what I should be entitled to, but unfortunately with no luck.

Many thanks in advance.
Original post by parkrepublic
Hi there,

Having spoken with a SFE representative over the phone, it is to my understanding that the amount of maintenance loan a student is granted for their final year is less than their 1st and penultimate year because the summer period is not covered by SFE.

As this is the first time I have heard about this, it has come as quite a shock. This means my maintenance loan for 2016/17 has been reduced by £2,232. Is this amount correct/normal?
Also, does anyone knows how this reduction is calculated exactly? I have tried searching online for an answer so that I can work out precisely what I should be entitled to, but unfortunately with no luck.

Many thanks in advance.

£2332 sounds a bit excessive, mine was reduced by £400 as a final year student. I would ask how they had calculated that, as unless your parents income has changed, that doesnt sound quite right.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
£2332 sounds a bit excessive, mine was reduced by £400 as a final year student. I would ask how they had calculated that, as unless your parents income has changed, that doesnt sound quite right.

Thanks for your reply.
My parents' income and my personal circumstances remain unchanged. You're right, it does seem quite excessive. I will definitely ring them again to see if I can find out how it is calculated. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending